Text  Larger | Smaller | Default


A Packet of Three: Hull City

Filed: Wednesday, 26th March 2014
By: Staff Writer

In the first article of a new KUMB.com series, we cast our eyes back at previous encounters between West Ham and tonight's opponents and pick our three favourite games...

Head To Head

West Ham wins: 17 (15 league; 1 FA Cup; 1 Carling Cup)
Hull City wins: 11 (10 league; 1 FA Cup)
Draws: 14 (all league)

West Ham Utd 7-1 Hull City
Saturday, 6th October 1990

The Tigers arrived at Upton Park for this Barclays Division Two clash unbeaten in seven matches and in good form. However Billy Bonds' West Ham destroyed them with a five-star second half display that saw United rise to third in the table.

Jimmy Quinn started the rout with just eight minutes on the clock before Dave Hockaday equalised for the visitors on the half hour mark. Undeterred, the Hammers restored their advantage less than a minute later when centre-half Steve Potts scored his first goal for the club following a fumble by 'keeper Iain Hesford.

With just 60 seconds of the second played, David Mail felled Trevor Morley inside the penalty area and Julian Dicks smashed home the resulting spot kick to double United's lead. George Parris made it 4-1 just ahead of the hour mark before Quinn grabbed his second - and the pick of the goals - with a blistering volley.

Morley got his reward for a fine display with a sixth goal 20 minutes from time before Julian Dicks grabbed his second of the day on 81 minutes. Buoyed by that result, West Ham remained unbeaten for a further 11 games but still had to settle for a runners-up spot that season behind Champions Oldham Athletic.

West Ham Utd 2-0 Hull City
Wednesday, 28th January 2009

West Ham produced one of their best performances during Gianfranco Zola's two-year tenure as manager in this midweek encounter at the BG, as goals from David Di Michele and Carlton Cole extended United's unbeaten run to seven games in all competitions.

Di Michele gave the fans a hint of what was to follow when he hit the post on 18 minutes with a curling effort that, had it gone in, would have been a contender for goal of the season. Three minutes later the Irons were awarded a penalty but goalkeeper Matt Duke, making his Premier League debut at the age of 31, brilliantly palmed Mark Noble's effort wide of the goal.

The Hammers didn't have to wait too long before finally taking the lead. With 33 minutes on the clock, Di Michele popped up at the far post to nudge home a rebound from Carlton Cole's curling effort. However they were denied a second when Jack Collison's effort hit the post - and once again when Duke, having the game of his life, denied Cole who had only the 'keeper to beat.

Having been given a rare standing ovation at half time, West Ham continued to pile on the pressure and a second goal duly arrived five minutes after the restart when Carlton Cole, scoring in his fifth consecutive Premier League match pounced on a Di Michele effort that had rebounded off the inside of the post. Notably perhaps, this was also the match in which a certain Savio Nsereko made his debut...

West Ham Utd 3-0 Hull City
Saturday, 20th February 2010

Julian Faubert scored his first ever goal for West Ham as West Ham moved four points clear of the drop zone with a fourth successive clean sheet at the Boleyn Ground. Valon Behrami opened the scoring for West Ham - and his own account for the season - just two minutes in when finishing from close range.

The visitors, without an away win in the Premier League were reduced to ten men shortly after the half time whistle when Craig Fagin was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence following a cynical pull at Alessandro Diamanti's shirt. Just eight minutes after gaining a numerical disadvantage, West Ham doubled their lead when a slide-rule pass from Faubert found Carlton Cole, who finished with aplomb.

Diamanti then narrowly missed scoring what would have been one of the greatest goals ever witnessed at the Boleyn when his shot at goal from inside his own half was tipped over the bar by Boaz Myhill, before City - who had already made their three alloted substitutions - were reduced to nine men after Anthony Gardner was left writhing in agony after falling awkwardly inside his own box.

Faubert completed the rout with ten minutes remaining when he sent a scorcher into Myhill's far corner before celebrating by raising his hands to the heavens in memory of his mother, who has passed away only days earlier.

* What are your favourite memories of our previous meetings with Hull City? Let us know in the comments section below!

Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to, KUMB.com.

Your Comments

comments powered by Disqus