minecraft

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

GingerJohn

minecraft

Post by GingerJohn »

What a pile of dog ****. The misses kids wanted it for Xmas on Xbox so got them one each. Now we never see them which is obviously a bonus as it gives me extra time to destroy their mum :thup: .

The game itself is total dross. There's adult blokes who play it doing videos on YouTube Ffs. I know this because not only do her kids play it but at the same time they will have these YouTube vids playing on their pcs in the background which gets on my tits to be honest.

Am I the only one who just doesn't get it ?
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Re: minecraft

Post by The_Cheadley »

I don't get it either. But then I always preferred playing with lego rather than building it.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Once you get past the graphical inferiorities compared to the norm for games these days and learn to give it a go I think a lot have become pleasantly surprised with Minecraft since its release, people of all ages too.

There's something to be said for manipulating the massive world to your hearts desire whilst being smart about your logical survival re: shelter, nourishment and exploring caves and abandoned mineshafts to collect precious minerals for construction and trade. Plenty of mods out there to improve gameplay also.

Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

I have a few friends that play it in tandem, which I hear is a popular way for grown-ups to play. Probably only on PC as you need a save file. Essentially one person plays for a day, then sends the save file on to the next person and rinse and repeat for however many are in the chain, the idea being trying to f*** it up as badly as you can for the next person while keeping it playable, or trying to set it off in a weird direction. And then seeing where it ended up when you get it back.

Not really sure as I don’t play it myself.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Yeah there's all kinds of stuff to do, there's a MASSIVE online community with servers galore for all kinds of multiplayer stuff... working together in creative mode to build vast cities and towns (for instance some real impressive Game of Thrones landscapes including the Wall, Winterfell etc in amazing detail)... player vs player combat zones with certain rules... custom built survival challenges.... hunger games scenarios which are really cool, complete with klaxon when someone is offed :D

Not for everyone, but it is for millions.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

An absolute godsend for a children with autism - as is autcraft.

http://www.autcraft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

It's great also for us dads who work from home and can slip in an hour or so every day with the kids!

Though our OP does have a point. I find things like this a wee bit creepy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqkViDLrx7M
Crazy Spider

Post by Crazy Spider »

I like it if im being honest. Ive spent hours building all sorts. From castles to generic football stadiums to even trying to build my local high street (i got bored of doing that one very quickly). I think its a great tool for kids to be creative too. Ok its not as good as going and playing outside but it teaches them to be creative and to work as a team.
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

Her boy came down crying yesterday saying something about griefers destroyed his stuff???..... I didn't ask :arry:
Crazy Spider

Post by Crazy Spider »

A griefer is basically a troll mate. They go around jumping on peoples servers and destroy the place for fun.
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

Crazy Spider wrote:A griefer is basically a troll mate. They go around jumping on peoples servers and destroy the place for fun.

Ohhhhhhhh..... You mean 'pricks'. Got it :thup:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

GingerJohn wrote:What a pile of dog ****. The misses kids wanted it for Xmas on Xbox so got them one each. Now we never see them which is obviously a bonus as it gives me extra time to destroy their mum :thup: .

The game itself is total dross. There's adult blokes who play it doing videos on YouTube Ffs. I know this because not only do her kids play it but at the same time they will have these YouTube vids playing on their pcs in the background which gets on my tits to be honest.

Am I the only one who just doesn't get it ?
My kids play it as does everyone they know.. its crazy.

I saw this and thought it was pretty awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afcudstM9zA

I can't imagine how much money they've made from that video if they had a partner and YouTube monetisation turned on.

Anyway Minecraft is one of the most watched games on YouTube the blokes doing it are making a mint, the most subscribed guy on YouTube makes up to $8m a year and he started off by making Minecraft videos.

It's a creative game you can do anything if you put your imagination to it, unless you don't have one! lol

I personally don't play it, I have tried but just end up digging holes and trying to get my kids to fall in them! but some of the stuff that's been made that my kids show me is impressive.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Cheers for that, I'd seen it a while back but it is proper heavy ain't it? Imagine how many days/weeks/months if not longer that took to perfect!

But you're right, you can do practically anything with the game so it's great for the creative genius in us all. Granted, not all of us have the ability to make a giant working calculator or piano out of thousands of noteblocks and redstone wiring but the fact that it's even possible gives an indication of how in depth this game is while keeping it relatively simple for the average casual user, man or child. Yeah or woman.

Gonna fire it up now :thup:
Crazy Spider

Post by Crazy Spider »

GingerJohn wrote: Ohhhhhhhh..... You mean 'pricks'. Got it :thup:
Yeah basaically. I just didnt know if i could say that.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Lee_WHU wrote:Granted, not all of us have the ability to make a giant working calculator or piano out of thousands of noteblocks and redstone wiring but the fact that it's even possible gives an indication of how in depth this game is while keeping it relatively simple for the average casual user, man or child. Yeah or woman.
Are you referring to the fella who created a working 16-bit ALU? Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

It's mental ain't it?

I've seen working computers, working musical instruments playing classical compositions, calculators giving graphical answers to inputted sums, flushing toilets :lol:

All with a few blocks and some wire.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Not to mention the creators have made an absolutely massive mint from this. What is it, approaching half a billion now? Just shy of £200,000,000 last year alone I know.

Can't be all that bad can it? :D
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

I'd imagine Lego are seriously pissed.
knock-knock

Post by knock-knock »

Available now on PS4 and Friday Xbox one, £3.99 to upgrade to the new version £16 if you're new to minecraft.

Not for me but I'm sure some of you love it :wink:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

it takes over your life this game -my son is on it all the time

he also is a griefer and I must say I had a little chuckle when he went on my brothers mates server and dug a hole in his swimming pool that he kept falling down and then nicked all his tools (it means nothing to me btw)

trying to get him to stop playing it so much by constantly calling him a nerd - not long now till fifa 15 though