Football Manager Series

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

LeeWHU88

Re: Football Manager Series

Post by LeeWHU88 »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:I was interesting in buying this but the overwhelming negative reviews on Steam has put me off. Only 1 in 5 is a good one.
I haven't played a Champ/Football Manager game in many years but I'd love to get back into them... I'm wondering if it's worth the $38.
Don't listen to the reviews on Steam mate, majority of them were from Chinese people as they had a problem with the game, not sure what but they all slated the game on steam.

The game has changed a lot if you haven't played it in years, it's certainly a lot more brutal, if the AI finds a weakness in your tactics it will exploit it drastically,trying to find the weakness can be annoying, you really need to look at the reports/analysis to find out where it went wrong and unlike it previous versions, there is no super tactic that you can use to win everything, sooner or later the AI will realise the way you play and will counteract it but the game now gives an option to train 3 tactics you can easily switch between so you don't become too predictable.

It's a good game, well worth the money as you'll certainly get plenty of hours out of it, you can download a demo on steam, give it a go, any game that you start on the demo can be carried on if you do buy the game outright.

You can also pick it up for £18 from Tesco http://www.tesco.com/direct/football-ma ... rce=others" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Not had a lot of time to play this over the holidays but 6 games into the season and currently top of the league by one point. I am just concerned as i started the previous season in a similar manner and fell away, but my defence seem to be pretty solid with the free additions i managed to bring in there.

4-3-3 working for now but its too narrow and i will get found out soon and exposed without any natural width in the team. i am pretty much relying on my full backs as an outlet.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

So I decided to pick it up after a run through the reviews and it's just people complaining it's too similar to last years offer (no ****).
So far, so good.
Very much a more complex affair to what I'm familiar with. Took a few defeats then found a formation that seems to work for now, 4-4-2 diamond/control/flexible. The team seems to thrive on pep talk and pushing on with those. Diafra is still a lazy b*stard, AC HATES the coaching staff, and Zaza is somewhat useful. :lol:
Picked up a young Welsh left back who is **** hot, and seemingly better put together than Masuaku. Cresswell is out for 6-8 months on my version and I needed some coverage badly.
A part of me knows that I need to work on a new system, and that'll be my focus for the start of the season.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I'm playing my created club in the Vanarama North (my greatest FM pleasure has always been a long career taking some minnow to Prem and Champs league glory). But this time around, there's nothing at all I can do to find a CB pairing to cope with any of the strikers in the league. Even when the rest of the team and DM are doing well, the CBs fail me every time one-on-one or having strikers running behind. And there's no better available CBs to sign or loan than my distinctly average choices. :x
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Had a week off last week and finished my season with Dagenham and Redbridge, I actually managed to get quite a bit of success with the narrow 4-3-1-2 and finished third. However i lost in the playoff semi final to Gateshead who have proved to be my Achilles heel. I got a 2-2 draw at their ground in the first leg, and then went 2-0 up at home and collapsed in the second half. I drew the second leg 2-2 and went out on penalties :cry:

I managed to get all my loan signings on free transfers which was handy for the new season, and added some wingers but they are not fitting in so well. I have gone back to the trusted 4-3-1-2 after an inconsistent start and now 5th place after 10 games.

Still letting in a lot of 30 yard bangers, it is getting a bit annoying now as these are deciding results. I'm convinced its a bug as i have more than enough men behind the ball and non league players are hitting worldies every other week.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Debating whether to get FM17 if I can find it at a good price.

Still been playing 16 - have got a great Network save with a mate, I'm Arsenal & he is Man U. Think we are abut 6/7 seasons in. Don't have a solo save so may get 17 to play solo when he is not around.
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

Stayed up in my 1st season in the Conference with Bath by 5 points, a solid run at the end saw me safe, started my 2nd season in blistering form, won 11 of opening 13 games but soon leveled off and struggled to compete throughout the season, had a great FA Cup run, nice easy run playing non league teams all the way to the 4th round where I come against West Ham at home, nicked a 1-0 win but then lost 4-1 away at Arsenal in the 5th round, that was great for the finances but the extra games took it's toll, the league form dropped and we finished 1 place and 4 points outside the play offs.

Rebuilt in the summer, got some decent players in but even with the solid league finish last season and a remarkable cup run, the players that are interested in coming are mainly North/South level players, managed to pick up a decent core of solid conference players and we do sit 5th after 14 games but we're not good enough to win the league and we'd be lucky to get in the play offs so another season of consolidating is on the cards.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Nice, non league is very difficult. Vanarama conference is just about doable but getting players in at leagues lower than that is so hard. I did a save with Concord Rangers on FM16 and struggled along, your best players are on part time contracts and end up leaving mid way through the season and there's no budget to get people in, hire scouts or even sign on loan as the league is too low of a standard. i pretty much use the search filter and look for players with physical strength, height, pace and concentration as those are the key attributes.

That FA cup run was amazing :lol:
I am in the second round and got a decent draw away to Bishops Stortford so hoping for a big third round tie and much needed financial income.

Currently ninth in the league with Dagenham, but only 7 points off the top. We have played sixteen games so the league hasn't started to separate yet.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Here's what bothers me:

I start as West Ham, I go unbeaten for the first 8 games (W5 D3), plus get a place in the Europa League.
The next dozen games I play the following:

Fiorentina (Europa)
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Chelsea
Chelsea (Cup)

Games I'm not expected to win. I lost 5 of these and drew one. The players go right off the boil in terms of morale and tactics and argue with anything you do! The ****ers want team meetings and demand you play them or they'll walk etc (sounds familiar) and I just rip them all.
Payet is the main culprit (surprised?), and it's tearing up the squad. I dispair!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Yeah it is really tough this year, as soon as you fall to a certain position you are automatically under threat. I am not even halfway through my season and i am 13th (having a bit of a mare admittedly) but i am 6 points off my season target and have a few games to save my job...

I did a lower league save in Italy as well and was expected to win the title. However halfway through the season i am 8th, 4 points off the top and get the sack :fsake:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Managed to go from mid table obscurity to second placed finish with a major run of form at the end of the season. I took that momentum into the playoffs and won it. Now i have had to get rid of loads of deadwood and majorly bulk up what is an awfully below par League 2 side.

All of my successful tactics are narrow systems with wing backs, i can't seem to get the best out of wide men.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Haven't played FM since 2014/15, Missus is away for a week so I'm thinking of picking up FM17, locking the door and shutting the curtains..

Has it changed much in 2-3 years?

What's new, etc?

Thanks in advance :thup:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

It has changed a little bit now, the more notable changes are probably the opposition Manager AI and the need for a blend of different systems. The opposition managers rely more heavily on their scouts and line up to exploit your weaknesses, so its hard now to find a good tactic and use it throughout the season with consistent success. They also change systems a lot more frequently in matches so you have to keep on top of it or you get exposed.

The media and training aspects are fairly similar, there is a new social feed aspect which can be good to see who teams are after and you can nab their transfers. you can also employ data analysts now to go through your matches and get statistical breakdown of your systems. I personally really like this years version, i think its great.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Cheers mate.

Sounds good, there was a point where it was far too easy, lazily going through seasons with the same formations/systems/tactics.

I like the sound of it.

I'm in!
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Cheers mate.

Sounds good, there was a point where it was far too easy, lazily going through seasons with the same formations/systems/tactics.

I like the sound of it.

I'm in!
Give it time, you'll soon be pulling your hair out and crying out for the old versions. :D
S-H

Post by S-H »

LeeWHU88 wrote:
Give it time, you'll soon be pulling your hair out and crying out for the old versions. :D

Years of playing FM & CM mean I have no hair left to pull..
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Football League is a bit ****, in terms of having to play in that Checker Trade Trophy. Every match has an attendance of about 200 and the board don't even set a target as they don't care about the tournament either, so you just throw loads of greyed out players in or those lacking match sharpness and get battered :D
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

5 seasons in an Brexit has happened, gone are the days of signing young talented Scandinavians and sticking them in the first team!

Only current internationals appear able to obtain work permits, and it's no good signing them and sending them on loan to a club in Belgium etc. to obtain an EU passport as that's now useless!

It's definitely making it more interesting, i'm trying to snap up decent young players from Scotland currently, young English players can cost an absolute fortune! pretty annoying really as i've got my youth facilities at the best I can get etc. yet I haven't had one decent youth player in 5 seasons :x
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

Lovejoy2 wrote:5 seasons in an Brexit has happened, gone are the days of signing young talented Scandinavians and sticking them in the first team!

Only current internationals appear able to obtain work permits, and it's no good signing them and sending them on loan to a club in Belgium etc. to obtain an EU passport as that's now useless!

It's definitely making it more interesting, i'm trying to snap up decent young players from Scotland currently, young English players can cost an absolute fortune! pretty annoying really as i've got my youth facilities at the best I can get etc. yet I haven't had one decent youth player in 5 seasons :x
It's always annoyed me the youth system on FM, so many times I've had the best youth recruitment, best youth and training levels yet still produce absolute dross year after year yet the bigger clubs seem to produce them with ease with similar or sometimes lower youth facilities.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Another slight issue I seem to have is with selling players, anyone else have problems shifting players? I offer players well under their value just to get their wages off the books but I have such a problem with no clubs making offers, it's not like i'm trying to sell bad players either!