Ataribox

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mr_Mercury

Ataribox

Post by Mr_Mercury »

So, about a month or two ago now Atari decided to re-enter the console market with the announcement of their new system the "Ataribox".

According to Atari it is to be a modern system that plays games from Atari's History to modern titles.

I'm not sure how wise it is for Atari to re-enter a race dominated by Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. I believe nobody in to todays generation other than those looking for a nostalgia trip thiniking about investing in this system. Obvioulsy price point is a factor.

I do have a soft spot for Atari. My first system was a 2600 and the first game I ever completed was Pitfall 2: Lost Caverns, but im not sure I can see my self owning one of these.

What are your thoughts?
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Re: Ataribox

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I had a 2600 as well and I had a friend who had the handheld, I want to say Atari Lynx but I am not sure.

I'd be interested in one for the nostalgia!
tonkaman
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tonkaman »

Was it the Jaguar? Or was that a cartridge device?
Another 2600 owner here!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Lynx was the handheld, late 80s. Jaguar was a pre-PS1 cartridge driven console. Neither had many games, though Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar was interesting and had a great soundtrack.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3491 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I think it's fair to say that most of these things get used a few times and then posted to the loft or eBay.

I have a RetroPie lovingly stuffed full of several retro systems' entire back catalogues but it rarely comes out. Nice to have though.
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

Up the Junction wrote:I think it's fair to say that most of these things get used a few times and then posted to the loft or eBay.

I have a RetroPie lovingly stuffed full of several retro systems' entire back catalogues but it rarely comes out. Nice to have though.
This is why I dont think I can justify paying £70 or £80 for a NES Mini and SNES Mini. It would be nice to play the games on my TV in the living room, but I dont even play the actual copies of the games I own on the SNES and NES. It will collect dust then ultimately find its way on ebay.

The sooner Nintendo launch their Virtual Console the better.

I dont understand why Atari didnt take the same approach as Sega with Sega Forever.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3491 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Mr_Mercury wrote:I dont understand why Atari didnt take the same approach as Sega with Sega Forever.
It makes more sense, but I fail to see the point of these retro-inspired systems when all of the ROMs are freely available (even if not strictly legally). I can't see them being huge profit makers.
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

I think its because its "Official". You have an almost identical controller with the NES and SNES mini as you did with the original systems. Not much is still known about the Ataribox so not sure what their controllers look like.

Although you can buy a SNES to USB adapter for PC. Not that I would know. :wink:
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

So it turns out Atari have just provided an update on the Ataribox.

"The upcoming Ataribox retro gaming console will indeed ship with a selection of classic Atari games, as many suspected when the thing was initially announced – but it’ll also have a Linux OS on board and the ability to play games from other platforms, since it’s going to keep the “open” nature of the OS instead of trying to lock it down to Atari content only.

Atari revealed this and a few more details about the Ataribox today, including the fact that 90,000 of their fans have registered to hear more about the console when it launches. The Ataribox design was revealed previously, and we now know that it’s going to be powered by a customized AMD processor with Radeon Graphics tech included. Atari says it’ll offer a “full PC experience” for your TV, which sounds a lot like it could be some kind of Steam box or Steam Link-like device.

It’ll also have streaming, apps, social features, web browsing and music, meaning it should compete with devices like the Apple TV and the Shield TV from Nvidia in the set-top streaming world, too. That definitely fits with the price point, which Atari says will range between $249 and $299 depending on specs and configurations during the Indiegogo pre-order campaign set to kick off in Spring 2018."

The "PC Experience" does sound like a steambox, but the price does seem attractive. Im sure the closer the realse date comes the more we will find out. I will be interested to see the OS and its capabilities.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Well my Mini SNES just arrived! Box is tiny!
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

Hammer1972 wrote:Well my Mini SNES just arrived! Box is tiny!
What's the verdict?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Only played a few, but they all play very smoothly. Have implemented some nice save options too.

Some of the 3D stuff like Starfox is very dated and not so playable, whereas the platformers hold up very well.

Its a cute little gadget, maybe not worth 70 notes though....