Retro Gaming

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Retro Gaming

Post by MD_HM »

Been seeing a lot of adverts for sites offering all in one packages for old games... like the new NES and SNES classic but unofficial and all the old consoles.

https://www.piretrogaming.com

Above link the type I’m talking about (site nothing to do with me)

Is it a con? Do they work with as little effort as the ads suggest?

Is the a better one? I’m really interested but no little about them.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by Up the Junction »

If you're interesting in revisiting several platforms, look no further than Retropie.

Total set up cost around £50, I have most major home computer (Spectrum, C64, Amiga, STe etc) and console (Atari, NES, SNES, Megadrive etc) builds on my Pi3. Or you can sling it on your desktop instead.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I've worked in most areas of IT for over 20 years now and I STILL can't wrap my head around RetroArch.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Cheers

So those companies are basically packaging up the technology above for you?

Paying a premium but no set up and just plug & play?

To be honest, although dearer that might be better for me :D

Noticed the one above had a few arcade classics and CM 1&2 which appealed to me as well.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

DasNutNock wrote:I've worked in most areas of IT for over 20 years now and I STILL can't wrap my head around RetroArch.
I've barely ever needed to touch it (fortunately, I tend to agree).

MD, you buy the Pi (nominal cost), install RP (free) and load whichever retro archives you want (free). The only known system I've never seen on there, oddly enough, is the old BBC Model B (that we all used to have in school back in the day).
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Did you not follow this chaps helpful advice Das?

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hammer1972 wrote:Did you not follow this chaps helpful advice Das?

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
Christ no. I don’t have a Raspberry Pi, and I’m fundamentally opposed to spending money.

TBH, even MAME these days seems iffy and unstable, it never used to be that hard to play Shinobi.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Massively into this at the moment - it's been a great way to spend time with my 8 year old playing some classic local multiplayer games.

On the TV, I'm using an Nvidia Shield and the RESET Collection frontend. It's managing to emulate everything up to and including Wii and PS2. Compatibility isn't quite 100% yet with those latest consoles but with PSP, PS1, and Dreamcast I'm managing to pretty much upscale everything to HD without any slowdown.

Also now have a jailbroken PSP, DSi, PS3, and Wii. So much to go at with that. I've just managed to get hold of a second Dsi which I'm giving to my son for his birthday complete with a massive bunch of games. Next year we'll upgrade to 3DS.

I have an Anbernic RG35XX handheld on order. It's only low powered and has a 4:3 display. Thought it would be a good device for playing older GBA / Megadrive games on the go.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Don’t forget, you can install retroarch on a cracked DS, and run stuff on that. It’s too slow for PS1 & DC but 16 bit stuff runs just fine 👍
binary
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by binary »

I'd also recommend getting a Pi setup. The 400 has a keyboard making it brilliant for 80's home computers and it can handle things up to PS1 really well. Just hook up a controller and a HDD and you're good to go. It's a really affordable solution and you can curate your own games collection instead of having to wade through all the filler they put on those pre-installed systems.

My favourite is the MiSTer which is really expensive but runs of FPGA as opposed to software emulation. I have mine hooked up to a big arcade stick and it's superb for old arcade games and consoles.

Hacking an existing system is also a decent option. The PS Vita is killer as a handheld and the Wii and Wii U are really decent hooked up to a TV.
binary
Has liked: 9 likes

Post by binary »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm I've barely ever needed to touch it (fortunately, I tend to agree).

MD, you buy the Pi (nominal cost), install RP (free) and load whichever retro archives you want (free). The only known system I've never seen on there, oddly enough, is the old BBC Model B (that we all used to have in school back in the day).
Apparently there's some technical issues with the BBC Micro (which seems insane for a 32k computer from the 80's) and even though i pretended it was no good back at school, it had some killer games on it. I can't believe someone can't get the thing added to Emulation Station.
swisstony
Has liked: 152 likes

Post by swisstony »

If you want to enjoy the old BBC micro games online,

https://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

binary wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:18 pm I'd also recommend getting a Pi setup. The 400 has a keyboard making it brilliant for 80's home computers and it can handle things up to PS1 really well. Just hook up a controller and a HDD and you're good to go. It's a really affordable solution and you can curate your own games collection instead of having to wade through all the filler they put on those pre-installed systems.

My favourite is the MiSTer which is really expensive but runs of FPGA as opposed to software emulation. I have mine hooked up to a big arcade stick and it's superb for old arcade games and consoles.

Hacking an existing system is also a decent option. The PS Vita is killer as a handheld and the Wii and Wii U are really decent hooked up to a TV.
The Orange Pi 5 is available now which, though more expensive, is a lot more powerful than the Raspberry pi and capable of emulating 100% of Dreamcast / PSP games with upscaling, and will also play a decent selection of gamecube and ps2 games with the right setup. There are builds of Jelos and Batocera available for it.

In terms of handhelds, the Retroid Pocket 3+ or the Anbernic RG505 are available for around £120 and are capable of all the above too.

With Nintendo DS and 3DS, I'd recommend the original hardware rather than emulation as they can be picked up really cheap on Ebay - especially of you opt for a 2DS over the 3DS.

Playstation 3's can also be purchased cheaply and earlier versions can easily be jailbroken.

PS Vita is difficult to emulate but the original hardware is a bit pricier on Ebay, going for around 100 quid.

I have a jailbroken PSP but emulation of that console is so good that there's no point paying for the original. You can probably pick up a Powkiddy RK2023 for a similar price that will play all PSP games at native resolution, and everything before.

If you only want a plug & play console that emulates up to PS1 then I recommend the KinHank Super Console Cube X3 - it can be purchased for as little as 65 quid on AliExpress, and comes with 2 gamepads and preloaded with 50,000 games.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Treated myself to an old US import SNES off eBay, sadly no sound comes out of it though.

Had a mega-drive as a kid as it first came out when I was 12, the SNES came out not too long after and obviously every kid in the UK and the world wanted Street Fighter 2.

Cool system but even if I get the sound sorted not sure how much I’ll actually play it really. Not really played many games since the GTA ones on the PS3 circa 2010.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Anyone considering buying custom hardware for running emus might be better placed just repurposing an old laptop or desktop PC. Only real disadvantage is physical footprint.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 am If you're interesting in revisiting several platforms, look no further than Retropie.

Total set up cost around £50, I have most major home computer (Spectrum, C64, Amiga, STe etc) and console (Atari, NES, SNES, Megadrive etc) builds on my Pi3. Or you can sling it on your desktop instead.
Guv I’ve just bought Raspberry Pi 4 thing and a Nespi 4 case, no idea what im doing with it (got to build it first)… really want to play Amiga games any idea how / where i find them on the tinterweb?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

archive.org is a pretty good place to search for large ROM sets, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for Oz.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Launchbox is particularly good for handling specific romsets & matching them to the correct mame version, with a nice front-end that downloads game metadata.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

Thank you gents :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:25 pm Launchbox is particularly good for handling specific romsets & matching them to the correct mame version, with a nice front-end that downloads game metadata.
Sexonded. Available in free and paid for versions but you'll not need anything the free version doesn't offer.