If you could only play five video games......

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bavarian_Hammer
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: If you could only play five video games......

Post by Bavarian_Hammer »

Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Fifa 16
Mario Cart Double Dash
Rollercoaster Tycoon
GTA V

spent loads of time on these games so would probably choose these. Pretty difficult though...
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

This is a lot tougher than it seems:

Super Mario Bros. 3
Mega Man 2
Goldeneye
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
Shenmue

Honourable Mentions
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Toejam and Earl
Pokemon Yellow
Super Mario World
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

APB - which would be in original form, in the garage
1943 - stood next to APB
Jak & Daxter
GTA Vice City
Fallout 4

If I had to choose, just one:

I am addicted to this game.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

prophet:marginal wrote:APB - which would be in original form, in the garage
APB was the absolute ****. Hard, though.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 535 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

1. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2)

2. Last of Us - I have tried repeatedly to complete it on grounded mode and it's f***ing impossible.

3. Fallout: New Vegas

4. FIFA 17

5. Left 4 Dead
badabing
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by badabing »

Mr Do
Galaga
Resident Evil 2
Crash Bandicoot
Resident evil 4
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

The Last Of Us
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

2. Assassin's Creed Origins

3. Arma III

4. Dishonored +DLC's

5. Watchdogs 2
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Super Mario World
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto V
Resident Evil 4

Mentions:

Zelda OOT
Metroid Prime
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Pilotwings both SNES and N64.
Manic Miner
House of the Dead/Virtua Cop/Jurassic Park
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

Nice topic, some offerings of good memories already listed. I hope to give my games of eternal satisfaction. Hopefully. Haha. If I don't get too sentimental.

Not in any order.

- NHL 2K7 (PS2) - this game was amazing. Offered all the classic jerseys of the old franchises to unlock by completing achievements, and the gameplay was excellent.

- Championship Manager On Line (Internet - CM-online - shut down in 2012) - Best online manager game I ever played. I would still play it now if it existed. I took West Ham, Dagenham and Torino from lower divisions all the way to the top, against other players from around the world. You had the usual leagues, but also custom leagues with mixed leagues.

- Road Rash (Sega and PS1) - Just amazing music, crashes (aarrgghhh) and punching other bikers off into cars. hahaha.

- GTA Vice City. (PS2) - Probably the best game I have ever played (relative to the times). 80s metal on the radio, crime and I think I broke 5 controllers and a console out of frustration. But I did complete it. 100%. Only game, apart from Dizzy Treasure Island on the C64, I've ever completed fully.

- Fifa 2000 - (PS1 ? or 2?) Paulo Wanchop and DiCanio up front. And you could foul the keeper. Fifa 16 is excellent as well, and I'd probably pick that for the xbox.

---

Dragon Age Origin on xbox is also a big contender/substitute. Thoroughly enjoyed that escapism.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Hearts of Iron IV, with all the DLCs

CIV VI, with all the DLCs

Pong

Mario Kart

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

diablo 2
pod
sensible soccer
street fighter II'
the manager
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

warp wrote: sensible soccer
Great game!

Do you remember that they didn't have the naming rights so they had to change all the players names by one letter?

Not sure what Conte ever did to upset the game makers. . .
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Streets Of Rage
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

difficult question, because it isn't asking for 5 favourite games.

If it's 5 games to play forever;

Call of Duty Ghosts (the only multiplayer shoot em up I'm any good at)
Doodle Jump
Jackbox 3
Skyrim
GTA V
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Zelda: Ocarina of time
Final Fantasy VII
GTA V
Championship Manager 97/98
Goldeneye
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

warp wrote: sensible soccer
street fighter II'
the manager
3 of my 5 there.

I'll add

GTA 2
fusion frenzy (as a multiplayer it was ****ing great) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MNrWvwND4
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I did come in to answer this some time back, went to type before realising I was woefully short of thinking about a few of my answers.

I'd have to say, based on a mix of longevity and quality, in no particular order:

1. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC) (obviously with updates)
Simply the best football game ever made. Certainly leagues above any manager game ever since. Simplistic, but not too basic and enough to stay interested without being swallowed up by pointless options. The fact that there is still a thriving community of database and image developers some 15 years after the game was released, is testament to this. Like a Sky Sports logo on a dodgy old rear projection TV screen, I feel the GUI may actually be imprinted into my retinas.

2. Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest this is probably the best game ever made. For a cartridge game and the relatively minute amount of data it holds and given it's time, it still staggers me how in depth and complicated this is. I have still never found a level on any game as challenging as what I found the water level in this at the time. I've not revisited this level since to see how I'd get on.
Some N64 games are very, very dated and extremely clumsy such as Goldeneye (which will always be a brilliant game for it's time) but this still remains relevant and playable.

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) / (PS4 Pro??)
A bit of a cheat including this one as one huge caveat for this, would be that it MUST be a remastered and expanded version, maybe with dozens of extra songs on each radio station. After playing IV and V, going back, this game feels very basic and very limited graphically.
Get Tommy Vercetti back up to date in an expanded 2018 world and I think this would absolutely fly off the shelves. (If this game is not allowed, then I will have to plump for GTA: V)

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (PS2)
PES 4 and 5 were decent, but didn't have the same feel as PES 3. After PES 5, football games declined rapidly to the absolute absurd. Weighty footballs, running with a definite 'doof doof doof' feel gave way to floaty dynamics. Solid running players and shooting gave way to the sense that you were controlling an ice-skating footballer, skating through treacle, kicking a beach ball and no amount of licensed kits, boots, badges, grounds were ever going to mask this. PES 3 was the first time we'd seen the 'Fixed' player cursor option. You and 3 or 4 of your mates would control 1 team, destined for World Glory and one of you was the fixed player. For me it was always an Albertini, Beckham or Redondo, with set piece abilities, spraying balls from the midfield. My only disappointment with PES 3, was the removal of the World and Euro Allstars teams that were present in 1 & 2.

5. Fallout 3 (PS3)
As much as I was disappointed in the lack of engine development for Fallout 4, it remains a quite brilliant game and is a step up from Fallout 3. However, I will never have that same feeling of nostalgic brilliance with 4 as what I did with those hours and hours on Fallout 3. My first experience of roaming the Wasteland with the songs humming away in the background, distant rumblings of creatures. Strolling and searching around for hours and hours like a tourist, you'd almost forget you weren't alone until you wandered into valley of nesting Radscorpions, woefully unprepared. If I was pushed, I'd have to take 3 for this reason.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
1. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC) (obviously with updates)
Simply the best football game ever made. Certainly leagues above any manager game ever since. Simplistic, but not too basic and enough to stay interested without being swallowed up by pointless options. The fact that there is still a thriving community of database and image developers some 15 years after the game was released, is testament to this. Like a Sky Sports logo on a dodgy old rear projection TV screen, I feel the GUI may actually be imprinted into my retinas.

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (PS2)
PES 4 and 5 were decent, but didn't have the same feel as PES 3. After PES 5, football games declined rapidly to the absolute absurd. Weighty footballs, running with a definite 'doof doof doof' feel gave way to floaty dynamics. Solid running players and shooting gave way to the sense that you were controlling an ice-skating footballer, skating through treacle, kicking a beach ball and no amount of licensed kits, boots, badges, grounds were ever going to mask this. PES 3 was the first time we'd seen the 'Fixed' player cursor option. You and 3 or 4 of your mates would control 1 team, destined for World Glory and one of you was the fixed player. For me it was always an Albertini, Beckham or Redondo, with set piece abilities, spraying balls from the midfield. My only disappointment with PES 3, was the removal of the World and Euro Allstars teams that were present in 1 & 2.
Great summary of these two classics, got me feeling a little nostalgic, especially PES3, the World and Euro Allstars concept was brilliant, for me the Italian National team were just perfect much to the annoyance of my mates. :)