World of Warcraft

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

World of Warcraft

Post by wolf359 »

I did a search and could not find a dedicated thread to this.

I've have never played WOW, but the recent Hearthstone promotion (get a character to level 20 for a transmog) encouraged me to do so.

I've got to say it is an amazing environment, I have bought the warchest (£5 + 30 days play) . The detail of the world is breath taking, yes it isn't the most graphically advanced (but it isn't bad).

So far I've been a solo player, currently level 42 not bothered with dungeons (raids as locked to me at the moment.)

Last part, it is proper old school, almost no tutorials, you are left to work things out, and I for one have really enjoyed it.

I'll probably return to Diablo 3 once season 6 starts but this I'm sort of disappointed my path has not crossed with WOW until now.

Anyone else play this?
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: World of Warcraft

Post by Iron Mark »

On and off since 2007.

Not subscribed at the moment though.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Never played these games before, WOW, Diablo, etc.

Out of interest, how many hours a day or week, do you need to invest to have a good session?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote:Never played these games before, WOW, Diablo, etc.

Out of interest, how many hours a day or week, do you need to invest to have a good session?
I play a few hours a night (so 10-12 hours a week) however I have the odd all day Sunday whilst watching sport.

That makes me firmly casual in Blizzard world.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

I played on release and then like you, have been drawn back in with the promotion. Levelled my new char to level 20 and then ploughed some money back in to get the expansion that I was missing, plus a month game time. I'm on Wildhammer/Thunderhorn if by any chance you picked that server.

Back hooked again, in a guild and about to start raiding now I have hit 100.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Anyone jumped on Legion, I'm not a big WOW player but giving the Demon Hunter ago. Struggling to be honest. I have no interest in raids etc. just questing. I enjoyed being a new player and working from level 1 a few months back, this seems a bit more of a chore.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Dipped in and out of WoW once or twice but it's never kept my interest, long-term.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Addition to this, I think I picked the wrong questing area to start with (Highmountain) , as I've moved on there are much more interesting zones and things to do. Class halls are quite addictive (A phone app is coming out today that lets you 'play' missions while away from computer) also upgrading your weapon is cool, looking for and collecting 'artifact power' in order to do so.

Took me a while to get going but enjoying this now.
Carey

Post by Carey »

I was properly addicted to this game. Got the original game the month it was released 11 odd years ago, played up to Wrath of the Lich King, killed Yogg Saron and stopped.

HOWEVER... this weekend I read up a lot on Legion and theyre touting it as the game to bring both the old and new players back. I got it. I started a Demon Hunter.

I'm loving it.

But I'm married now and I know this takes a lot of dedication, so how far (or how long) I'll go in the game I'm not sure.

I actually played on that big Private Server that was on the News (Nostalrius) which was a "blizz like" Vanilla Server. I loved every single second of that due to the nostalgia.. remembering stuff from 11 years ago, and still knowing all the routes.. crazy.

Just a note if you buy Legion you get all the previous expansions and a level 100 character boost.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

how funny, I played on Nost too - what a great experience that was, Gutted when that closed down.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

If anyone needs them, I have the Brady Games OfficialStrategy guides for the first game and the Burning Crusade expansion, if they want them.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Big bump for this - the next expansion to WoW is out August 14th called Battle for Azeroth and the pre-patch is released on Wednesday. The patch is basically a glorified catch-up mechanism for people so they can be ready for BfA in a month.

If you are thinking about joining/returning to WoW then this week would be a good time.
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

I read an article on IGN stating that all expansions are now included with the subscription. I have been on and off for the past 7 or 8 years, but with this recent news I may be tempted to signing back up.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Mr_Mercury wrote:I read an article on IGN stating that all expansions are now included with the subscription. I have been on and off for the past 7 or 8 years, but with this recent news I may be tempted to signing back up.
Yes all expansions baring the new one that is out August 14th, so for the next month you can play all current content just for the subscription, you will then need to buy BfA if you want the new stuff.

The purchasing of the base game was always a little outdated and about time it has gone.
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

Level 110 Hunter on Chamber of Aspects. Helluva big download after the roll-out of the new expansion. I'm an obsessive quester, rather than an obsessive leveller, so I still have XP to gain from Draenor quests to be snatched up when this rolls out. I'm in for another long slog to finish the existing lands before I end up reaching 120. Still, that will just make me one of the most geared on my server when it comes to the crunch again.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Just started this a week or so ago with a starter account (free up until level 20)... friend has played it for years but I was always a Guild Wars man. Got to say so far, coming from Guild Wars... Warcraft doesn't do it for me. GW puts you right into a picturesque world with beautiful graphics for its day and a great soundtrack to accompany it so I felt a bit let down with what WoW offered (not into the cartoony stuff, PUBG > Fortnite etc). Got to grips with the controls and attack system a bit better now but I still prefer GW. However, I will give it its full chance up to level 20. Problem is there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy the game for however many quid it is now AND pay a monthly subscription on top of that... always thought that took the piss! Still, at least I can say I've tried and played it.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Lee_WHU wrote: Problem is there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy the game for however many quid it is now AND pay a monthly subscription on top of that... always thought that took the piss! Still, at least I can say I've tried and played it.
The game (for me) doesn't start until max level, as for buying the game you don't have too upto the current max (Legion 110 - though BfA will be released on Aug 14th). I pay for my sub in gold and have not paid in cash since November 2016 (my 3rd month in the game) . Personally I don't mind the sub, the game delivers more content than any AAA title ever can. The 213 days played since September 2016 (for me at least) are testament to this.