What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Nesticles »

Sons of Anarchy finale :oops:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Melissa and joey. think I like it because Melissa joan hart from sabrina the teenage witch is the star... and had a massive crush on her when I was a young boy lol
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 17

"I haven't taken leave of my senses, Bob; I've come to them."

Today it's the third of four passes at Charles Dickens' Yuletide chiller A Christmas Carol, this time in the form of the Alastair Sim classic Scrooge (Desmond-Hurst, 1951), arguably the best-loved ACC adaptation of all of them.

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

TOTP - 1964 -1975 - made me realise how much of the souls/blues music I have self censored over the years.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

'Cosmonauts' on BBC4, about the Russian space programme. It makes the very good point that the Americans might have got a man on the Moon first, but the Russians beat them to pretty much everything else.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

WHU - Del - agree - top prog - really liked it - the USA were always playing catch up. Wasn't happy about the USSR punting a Dog into space though and saying he survived the journey there and back - only to admit 20 years later that he died of heat exhaustion in space :(
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Finished watching the third series of Girls. Thought it was great. Love that it has gone from 'a realistic Sex and the City' in the first series to 'a group of female sociopaths and two decent blokes' by the end of the the third. And the soundtrack is always good.
kesh

Post by kesh »

WHU_Del wrote:'Cosmonauts' on BBC4, about the Russian space programme. It makes the very good point that the Americans might have got a man on the Moon first, but the Russians beat them to pretty much everything else.
Gonna have to watch that.

The space programme seemed like an after-thought to the Ivans, Yanks get the jump on nukes and are going for precise guided missile systems, the Ivans go for the 'throw the **** that way' approach with Tzar Bomba and happened to get a leap ahead by throwing huge objects about instead.

An the way we picture the 50/60's USSR as the crazy ones, when they were the ones telling us to stop nuking the sky!, guys
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 18

"F*ck me, Santa! F*ck me, Santa! F*ck me, Santa!"

A double-bill of Christmas fare today. First and as a family, we'll be enjoying three modern animated Christmas Specials: Shrek the Halls (Trousdale, 2007), Merry Madagascar (Soren, 2009) and Toy Story That Time Forgot (Purcell, 2014), the last of which only debuted a couple of weeks ago so we've not seen that one yet. Then, later and definitely NOT as a family, mrs.caress and I will settle down to some Billy Bob Thornton-shaped shenanigans in the form of Bad Santa (Zwigoff, 2003).

Le Rascal de Boleyn
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Le Rascal de Boleyn »

First episode of Black Mirror on Netflix. Subject matter a tad unusual but thought it was good.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Video Games: The Movie

A pretty good doc on this history of video games. 100 minutes and it did what it said on the tin. :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Fall, final episode , truly crap ending .
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 19

Day 19?? F*cking hell, Christmas is galloping up on us on the inside lane, isn't it? I only finished Christmas (present) shopping yesterday, and we've still got a fair bit of Christmas (food) shopping still to do! Best crack on.

Anyway, today it's... oh. (shudder, grimace) I haven't got one of "my" films scheduled now 'til Christmas Eve. We've a bunch of mrs.caress' favourites to power through, and over the next four days we're going with two movies in particular and their respective first sequels (they both had more sequels than that, but I simply couldn't take any more). Today, it's The Santa Clause (Pasquin, 1994), starring Tim "Buzz Lightyear" Allen. Ho ho bloody ho.

bonehead

Post by bonehead »

the pink palermo wrote:The Fall, final episode , truly crap ending .
the whole series has been little more than a feminist propaganda machine if you ask me. when you catch onto it, the number of times you see weak men / strong women messages screaming out of the TV......the beardy bloke coming out with that line "why are women so much emotionally stronger than us weak men?" ......can you imagine the backlash with the same line in reverse

and outside of that, one of the main themes of how the bad guy could be such a good looking and pleasingly charismatic person.....blah blah.......doesn't even play correctly.......the bloke is entirely creepy and weird throughout

badly conceived and executed crock of 5hite........which is disappointing, as I thought it might be something more along the lines of some of the european crine series which have been quite entertaining
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

the pink palermo wrote:The Fall, final episode , truly crap ending .

Agreed. The first series was great TV, the second series was simply not needed and has been a disappointment from the start and the only thing that kept me glued was the forlorn hope that the gorgeous Gillian Anderson might take a drink from the furry cup at some stage, as she nearly did with Archie Panjabi. Underwhelmed
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 20

-Where did he go?
-Maybe he committed suicide.

Speaking of which, today it's Macaulay Culkin's finest hour, in Home Alone (Columbus, 1990).

last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS - DAY 21

Hm. The weekend intervened once again yesterday and I was unable to take in Home Alone. So, today, I'm making a late change: We were scheduled to watch The Santa Clause 2 (Lembeck, 2002) today and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Columbus, 1992) tomorrow, but I'm swapping those around and making today a Home Alone double-bill. Hurrah. Oh well, that might earn me enough brownie points to maybe get a spaghetti western on later, at least.

SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Anchorman 2.
Absolute lederhosen. A couple of laughs (thanks to Steve Carell) but it sums up Will Ferrell, a chaotic and incoherent mess and not as funny as it seems to think it is.
Wasn't a fan of the first, and this was much, much worse.
shammy

Post by shammy »

71....A brilliant film about a soldier on the run in Belfast during the height of the troubles. Really good.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

As I never got round to it before I thought I would take up Sky Atlantics offering of Game of Thrones from the start. So far so meh really