What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by DasNutNock »

The Little Hours. Loosely based on some 14th Century Italian poems called The Decameron. Can't say I'm familiar with the source material. Pretty amusing and enjoyable as it goes, but still a f*cking odd piece of film making.
OFT
Has liked: 3240 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Strictly
Best light entertainment show on TV for me, with the added bonus of the presence of the truely lovely Darcy Bussell

Len Goodman has scrubbed up well :D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

OFT wrote:Strictly
Best light entertainment show on TV for me, with the added bonus of the presence of the truly lovely Darcy Bussell

Len Goodman has scrubbed up well
We have it on. Good entertainment.

How many tick boxes have the right-on BBC made in this current series though! :shock:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Scots That Fought Against Franco. (PART 1 and 2)

On the American PBS channel, a emotional, explicit and detailed documentary about the brave men and women from Scotland who went to fight against the Fascists in Spain until 1938/39. They left their homes, families and roots to go to a place they had never been before, with people the had never met to fight fascism alongside them. Most of then didn't come back and were buried in mass graves - although there is a scheme to try and find them and recover their bodies.

Gripping TV, covering a war not a people know enough about. Very emotional stuff: guys in the 90's still crying about losing a comrade or when recounting war stories. Some of these guys did WW1 and WW2 as well.

10/10 - more please.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:How many tick boxes have the right-on BBC made in this current series though! :shock:
Who cares? They have Gemma Atkinson on.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

That Electric Dreams thing. A load of tosh.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Last night:

Little Evil - some netflix "comedy" remake of The Omen. Sort of. Reasonably amusing, as it goes, if hardly ground-breaking.

Astronauts: Do You Have What It Takes? - still the best thing on TV, as it has been since the first episode. Should be compulsory viewing in schools. And everywhere else, to be honest.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Caught up with latest episode of Doctor Foster. Hmmmm, this second series is a strange one. In the first series, there was a clear villain (the husband) and a clear victim (the good Doctor Foster), however, we now have some blurred lines between who is good and who is bad. I can't say I am enjoying this second series as much as the first, it is still addictive, but I no longer like Suranne Jones' character, the now not so good Doctor Foster. If the idea is to show how ****ed up things can get on both sides when extra-marital activities occur, then the show is doing a good job - which I'm guessing is the intention.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

This series of Doctor Foster has felt all over the shop to me. Still watchable, but it's almost as if the script writer(s) are perpetually thinking "I know that last thing we did was a bit mad but hope can we up the ante for this next bit"?. Credulity is being stretched, but I've got to know how it ends.

The Child in Time. I can see why reviewers are divided on this. Real marmite telly. Personally I loved it, but there again I love marmite :) Different, not linear, not clear, affecting, harrowing at times. Brave telly.
OFT
Has liked: 3240 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
The Child in Time. I can see why reviewers are divided on this. Real marmite telly. Personally I loved it, but there again I love marmite :) Different, not linear, not clear, affecting, harrowing at times. Brave telly.
Really liked this too Dave. Brilliantly different and superbly acted with Stephen Campbell Moore quite extraordinary as 'Charles'
Cracking good tv.
westham,eggyandchips

DasNutNock wrote:
Who cares? They have Gemma Atkinson on.
90 seconds aint enough. 8-)
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I must say I didn't like A Child In Time. Without the beautiful phrasing and internal lives of the characters that McEwan does so well on the page, it was a strangely flat and uneventful piece of TV that never seemed to go anywhere. The supernatural 'face at the window' story seemed a bit tagged on and the noughties references from Blair and SATs to David Kelly and the McCanns seemed very dated. And as much as I like McEwan, I am getting a bit tired of these wealthy protagonists living in dream houses in central London who never seem to do any work.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:90 seconds aint enough. 8-)
Need to work on your technique, then.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Ray Donovan, last series wasn’t great… this ones absolute *****.
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Nocturnal Animals
The always good Jake Gillenhall sends his ex-wife (Amy Adams) the manuscript of his latest novel. The film switches between her life and the story of the novel where the protagonist's wife and daughter are abducted. Michael Shannon turns up as the cop in the novel helping the protagonist get justice. The build up to the crime is wrenching, some of the film might be too art-house-slow for some, and the show is stolen by Aaron Taylor Johnson as a very dangerous man. The end of the film throws all of the novel sections into a new light. It's all brilliantly acted and very well shot, and it's one of those that gets better once you've had some time to let it sink in. Oh, and I didn't even realise Isla Fisher was in it until the credits - I thought Amy Adams was playing two roles.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Liar tonight. Another ITV drama "rapey bloke" drama a few months after Broadchurch which threw about 10 creeps at the screen for you to pick from.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Finished Tin Star. They're doing a second season and although it's the best thing I've seen in ages I'm not convinced they should. No idea where they can go with it.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Going to watch black lake on BBC 4 and catch up on iplayer.

Supernatural horror. Right up my street.
westham,eggyandchips

simonirons wrote:Ray Donovan, last series wasn’t great… this ones absolute *****.
The flashbacks with Abby have become a bit boring I admit.

Jon Voight is the only shining light in the show right now and has been for a while. They could do a spin-off of Mickey and it'd be great TV.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3032 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Vietnam war , on BBC 4 .

A documentary on the conflict .Excellent .

It's bound to be on Iplayer , it's a 10 part series and I recommend it wholeheartedly .

Also on BBC 4 another documentary on last night about the development of the Jet engine and our aircraft industry in the post war years .

Again, excellent .