Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by simonirons »

New venom teaser. - no sign of venom yet but looks a good ‘un...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Details emerging of Disney's streaming service - the most important bit is that the existing Netflix series are staying on Netflix
east_ham

Post by east_ham »

I really enjoyed Black Panther , a good addition to the Marvel Universe , interesting questions raised about foreign aid and isolationism.

Great action sequences , some massive plot holes , but enjoyable.

My only wish was that they have researched some tribal traditions and hopefully incorporated them in the tribal parts of the film.

b+
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Cheers EH

Will try and check it out over the weekend.
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Just seen Black Panther. It's quite good in a 'different to all other marvel films but can't quite explain why' sort of way.
It has numerous plot holes but is enjoyable nonetheless.

I'd be interested to find out what Black (especially African) viewers think of it. I don't mind saying it took me a little while to get into the film, I thought it was almost taking the p**s initially.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just watched Black Panther, albeit on a hooky cam download which rather reduced the majesty of it all.

It's very different to the rest of the MCU in pacing, and very different to the trailers - much slower paced, and it's kinda.... OK, I guess, but to be honest I found it too slow, the first 90 minutes really dragged in places.

Not a complete washout like Justice League, but this is about the 5th or 6th straight supers film that hasn't really got above a "meh" rating from me
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Also just saw Black Panther this weekend. Have felt that Marvel movies have plateaued for a little while. Ant Man, Dr Strange and Black Panther didn’t have the impact that Iron Man, Thor (1 not 2) and Captain America had when they first came out. Certain parts of the movies seem more formulaic now and I think they could benefit from less movies for a while post infinity war. Had the latter three been the first movies then I think they’d have been more enjoyable. Could do with a significant culling of characters in infinity war rather than the odd big name imo. Saying that, if Iron Man does go then marvel lose the most interesting actor of the lot in Downey jnr.

At least DC hasn’t plateaued. Their movies have been mostly awful....
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I've updated the list in the first post, based on what is currently known for the next 3 or 4 years. There's also about 10 DC films which may or may not be made to fill their slots, depending on how much they want to keep beating their heads against a brick wall, including (god help us) Flash, Justice League 2, and (even more amazingly), Suicide Squad 2.

The whole Fox and Marvel slates from 2019 are up in the air depending on whether the Disney takeover of Fox gets the go-ahead, and what they decide to do with X-Men, Deadpool, and rather less likely, Fantastic Four, as a result. If it fails, expect Black Panther 2, Dr Strange 2, GotG3, maybe Thor 4, maybe Captain Marvel 2 - BP2 will probably go ahead anyway, but the rest are anyone's guess.

If Sony foul up badly enough with Venom (for which the trailer has been really badly received) and whatever Silver and Black is (some rumours say Silver Sable and Black Cat, which would make it well down into the C or D-list of characters, if true, IMHO), then who knows what they might decide with the Spider-Man franchise - sell back to Marvel?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote:some rumours say Silver Sable and Black Cat, which would make it well down into the C or D-list of characters, if true, IMHO
It's definitely a Silver Sable/Black Cat pic, isn't it? Tbh I've never seen/read/heard any suggestion that it might be anything else.

In other news, Joss Whedon departs Batgirl:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/h ... ie-1087384
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

No contrary rumours, just most commentary I've seen on it doesn't even specify
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

hammer1975 wrote:?. Could do with a significant culling of characters in infinity war rather than the odd big name imo. Saying that, if Iron Man does go then marvel lose the most interesting actor of the lot in Downey jnr.
A fair assessment, however. - I for one will be devastated if/when the cap goes.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

According to reports, Fox are allegedly working on a Silver Surfer movie (which I don't think has been mentioned before) and a Dr Doom film (which has, and given their past efforts, god help us)
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Amazed their sticking with it tbh. Even the reboot of x-men’s died a death.

They should of done everything in their powers to bring Vaughn back for Apocolypse imo.

I did enjoy the TV series Legion, even if it was completely bonkers
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet as I'd have thought i'd have some of you spaffing in your plus fours but Gemma Chan has been cast in Captain Marvel.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/captain-mar ... 202303202/
east_ham

Post by east_ham »

Jessica Jones is back on the 8th on Neflix , if not aware.

The best of the netflix series I felt.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

east_ham wrote:Jessica Jones is back on the 8th on Neflix , if not aware.

The best of the netflix series I felt.
Feel David Tennant is the reason that show was good. Be interesting to see where it goes now they have (Spoiler) killed him off.
east_ham

Post by east_ham »

claretandblue82 wrote: Feel David Tennant is the reason that show was good. Be interesting to see where it goes now they have (Spoiler) killed him off.
(Spoiler) or have they.......
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

This has just dropped

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just got tickets for the Imax for the Friday night. - £55 - disgusting price but I need to see this film in the biggest screen.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Hmm... I really really want this to be fantastic... but I didn't like that trailer at all, and I have a really bad feeling that it's going to be another Age of Ultron
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Kludgehammer wrote:Hmm... I really really want this to be fantastic... but I didn't like that trailer at all, and I have a really bad feeling that it's going to be another Age of Ultron
Age of Ultron weren't bad as such. Difficult to get an ensemble film right and keep things interesting. Plus James Spader as Ultron was wildly underrated.