What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Status Kev »

Tenbury wrote:'Below the Surface' , latest Scandi-drama on BBC4, now up to episode 4. I watch this stuff mostly because The Bridge was so great,though nothing else has come anywhere near.I'm a bit mutton as well,so the subtitles are a bonus.
This is atypical Scandi stuff, no seriel killers, bit farfetched in places but not at all bad,and the action scenes are more big screen than telly.
Really enjoying this one.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

13 Minutes: The Plot to Assassinate Adolf Hitler

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082jpvj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

German drama about Georg Elser who tried to kill Hitler in 1938.

A brilliantly acted and portrayed piece of film about a man I had been unaware of until I saw this. It has left me wanting to find out more about him and the attempt to kill Hitler.

One of the best drama's I have seen for a long time.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Officer Dibble wrote:13 Minutes: The Plot to Assassinate Adolf Hitler

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082jpvj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that OD I shall be watching that later. I read a book on how he tried (and unluckily failed) to assassinate AH. Gripping reading.

How the Universe works (series 4, 2 episodes.) Pulsars and The Way the Galaxy Ends.

Pulsars - are formed by super hot gases around Super Massive Black holes. You wouldn't want to be anywhere near them ( i.e. several million miles away) because you'd be evaporated. The End of the Galaxy will probably be when we smash into the bigger Andromeda Galaxy and the black hole in our galaxy will merge with that in Andromeda and we will become the Milkomenda galaxy. This is happening in 4 years time apparently. Opps typo - 4 million years ;)

The Spiders Web - Britain's Secret Industry - A documentary on how the City of London is a corrupt, separatist and undemocratic organisation, with undue influence over everyday (financial/Tax/Investment/democratic etc) where the rich and elites push their money into offshore trusts that are untraceable and unaccountable, so they don't have to pay tax etc on their income.

Industry insiders blow the whistle and are often hounded and ostracised (especially on Jersey) by banks and the govt. Wealthy public school boys and girls (the pinstripe network) set up these trust with ease, whilst it is almost impossible for any normal people to do so.

They Cayman Isles, Jersey et al are all implicated with concrete evidence and no govt of any colour has gone anywhere near tackling this problem with conviction. Now bankers/accountants etc have infiltrated the Govt (such as the Inland Revenue/Customs and Excise etc) and deals for the boys are being done, as per Google coming to have a cosy chat with the head of the IR (because litigation is SOOOOO expensive) and paying F all tax in this country. The head of the IR then retires and then goes and joins a big company as a consultant obviously advising them how to evade tax (not avoid) as he helped draft the rules.

Now govt departmental heads come from JP Morgan/Delloites/Morgan Chase and there is no real accountability.

It's been going on for ages, it's wrong yet it continues despite brave people blowing the whistle and providing substantiated evidence. Made be sick to my stomach.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Top Gear Lite.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

WHU Independent wrote:
How the Universe works (series 4, 2 episodes.) Pulsars and The Way the Galaxy Ends.

Pulsars - are formed by super hot gases around Super Massive Black holes. You wouldn't want to be anywhere near them ( i.e. several million miles away) because you'd be evaporated. The End of the Galaxy will probably be when we smash into the bigger Andromeda Galaxy and the black hole in our galaxy will merge with that in Andromeda and we will become the Milkomenda galaxy. This is happening in 4 years time apparently. Opps typo - 4 million years ;)
I love stuff about the universe and space but it also makes me think what's the point of it all and life on Earth. The sun will die one day and I imagine most life on this rock too! I know it may be billions of years away from happening but it does make me feel like I should pack in the office job and make the most of what the world has to offer. Happy Monday everyone!!! :thup:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

The Circle

thought it was quite good up to a point- black mirror - esque about working for a company like google/facebook and social media privacy laws etc.

then the ending was so crap it really disappointed what was up to that point a good film.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Officer Dibble wrote:13 Minutes: The Plot to Assassinate Adolf Hitler

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082jpvj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHU Independent wrote:Thanks for that OD I shall be watching that later. I read a book on how he tried (and unluckily failed) to assassinate AH. Gripping reading.
WHUI

Did you read the one by Hellmut G Haasis?
WHU Independent

Officer Dibble wrote:Did you read the one by Hellmut G Haasis?
No mate - it was by Roger Moorhouse IIRC: The Plots To Assassinate Hitler.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

master of the flying guillotine, 1976, jimmy wang

followed by

7 grandmasters, 1977, joseph kuo

followed by

shaolin vs lama, 1983, tso nam lee

i'll have to watch the third one again as i was too distracted, but it looked even better than the other which are great.

ever wondered where dhalsim comes from?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

WHU Independent wrote:Pulsars - are formed by super hot gases around Super Massive Black holes.
not really. pulsars are "just" neutron stars whose magnetic axis and rotation axis are not aligned.
WHU Independent

warp wrote:ot really. pulsars are "just" neutron stars whose magnetic axis and rotation axis are not aligned.
My bad. Schoolboy error. Got a bit mixed up with the burst of superheated gases and a pulsar - my apologies. In my defence, lack of sleep, dyslexia and an over indigence of "How the universe works" will do that to me.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

My Father and My Son

Absolutely brilliant Turkish film about a journalist caught up in the military coup of 1980 who, after being released from prison fleas with his young son to the countryside to live with his estranged parents. Riveting, funny and sad. Highly recommended. I found out afterwards that it was voted the best Turkish film of all time.

Into The Wild

True story about a kid who burns all his ID, drops out of college and goes travelling round the USA. Really worth watching, not your usual Hollywood junk.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Halfway through ' Requiem ' - finished ' Rebecka Martinsson- Arctic Murders ' .

Best thing on telly just now is ' Shetland ' , some brilliant performances .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Sicario

Missed this when it came out a couple of years ago but had it recorded on my to watch list for a while. Really enjoyed this and am looking forward to sequel that is due later this year. It's a tense thriller set in the murky world of drug cartels with solid performances from Josh Brolin, Emily Blunt and in an early role, man of the moment, Daniel Kaluuya. However it is Benicio Del Torro that really shines and glad to see he is in sequel along with Brolin. Del Torro is one cool Mo Fo.
Was banging on about this film on here when it came out , I named it ' Best Film ' of 2015 until ' The Revenant ' came along .

Three excellent performances from Brolin , Blunt and Del Torro and the score is superb , one of Villeneuve's finest .

Didn't know there was a follow up so thanks , CRS .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Watched S03E02 of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Love it.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Watched S03E02 of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Love it.
Agreed.

Sperm bank
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Shetland - final episode of the latest series which has been one of, if not the strongest yet.

After 6 excellent episodes all loose ends were tidied up and Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez finally nailed the culprit. Perez is a caring DI but doesn't suffer fools gladly and is effortlessly played by Douglas Henshall. However the acting honours went to Stephen Walters as the No1 suspect Thomas Malone and the ending was so sad it reduced Mrs CRS to tears. Pleased to hear the announcer say Shetland will return next year.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

The Interview

dont bother
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Annihilation on Netflix.

Absolutely brilliant!
on the edge

Post by on the edge »

After watching the film I started watching the series Young offenders.

Very funny and easy to watch, very sad in places but one of the best comedy series at the moment. Bit like watching the inbetweeners before everyone else heard of it.