The Star Wars Thread - May the Force be with us (Spoilers!)

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3198 likes

Re: The Star Wars Thread - May the Force be with us (Spoilers!)

Post by WCpete »

last.caress wrote:Lol, Pete I don't think you were taking shots at me. It's obviously me being thick because I still can't see how you can take an opinion that people only like Rogue One for reasons unconnected to the movie without that being pretty dismissive. What people? Has anybody confided to you that they're overrating the movie purely out of a sense of wanting to like the Disney movies more than they do? On what are you basing this? Purely on the numbers of people who've seen it? If so, what was the point you were making in bringing it up? Because other than discrediting the movie's popularity, I don't know what else you were reaching for there. All you can really say for sure is what you thought of the movie, isn't it? Not what other people thought, shirley?

Something's getting lost in the printed word Pete because I honestly don't think you are or were getting at me and I'm obviously coming across as though I do think you are, and that's my fault. If we were having this conversation in person I promise you it would not be anywhere near as tense as this seems to have become, somehow. I'm afraid that framing your statement the way you have DOES still feel dismissive to me but since we're at an impasse as to whether it is or isn't, your insistence that that's not your intent will certainly do for me. It's not your fault if I'm not understanding you entirely correctly. :thup:

Now give us a kiss. xxx
LC, you keep asking me questions that I've answered. I said that I have no evidence to back up my opinion. It's supposition, nothing more. I guess if you must insist I've dismissed you, then so be it. You're dismissed. Except you're not. :wink:
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:I liked the caravan of courage myself
:lol: I was so excited about that as a kid. And it was fine but i was really hoping for more. Now I realise that people are having the Caravan of Courage experience with the new trilogy.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Caravan of courage had a sequel too. Where they killed off most of the main humans within 5 minutes. Brilliant.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I'm always amazed at the negative reception for the Phantom Menace. It's up there for me as one of the more fun star wars films, mainly due to the pod racing scene which similarly to the chariot racing in Ben Hurr is a part hat I can watch on a loop and never get bored of.

I also know I'm in a minority of 1 but I like Jar Jar in it. To me he's a fun character and transports me back to the first time I saw the film (would have been 8). I found his bumbling nature endearing and he genuinely makes me laugh.

I'm not sure it would be the best film for me but it's one with repeat watching I always enjoy and smile at. To me that matters.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Slacking student wrote:I'm always amazed at the negative reception for the Phantom Menace. It's up there for me as one of the more fun star wars films, mainly due to the pod racing scene which similarly to the chariot racing in Ben Hurr is a part hat I can watch on a loop and never get bored of.

I also know I'm in a minority of 1 but I like Jar Jar in it. To me he's a fun character and transports me back to the first time I saw the film (would have been 8). I found his bumbling nature endearing and he genuinely makes me laugh.

I'm not sure it would be the best film for me but it's one with repeat watching I always enjoy and smile at. To me that matters.

I think the highlighted line above is telling. Those who are older generally dislike the film and bloody Jar Jar Binks. My stepson, who is now 9 but saw this a few years ago also enjoyed it and liked JJB.

I think we take offense as we were there when the original trilogy came out, and then waited years to be given TPM and bloody JJB. The younger kids dont have that same attachment to the original films.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Collider are claiming that the "Anthology" spin-off movies (you know, like Rogue One and Solo) have been put on hold as a result of Solo's poor box-office performance. How true that is I don't know - I don't see much in the way of official quotes or what-have-you in the story - but I certainly think it wouldn't be a bad idea at all for the time being.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

Slacking student wrote:I'm always amazed at the negative reception for the Phantom Menace. It's up there for me as one of the more fun star wars films, mainly due to the pod racing scene which similarly to the chariot racing in Ben Hurr is a part hat I can watch on a loop and never get bored of.

The issue with JJB is that whilst he was put in the films to be a funny character, he was never going to be funny to anyone over the age of 10. Stepping in camel poo, slapsticking his way across a battlefield and mispronouncing words in a funny voice is only going to appeal to the very youngest members of the audience. By putting him front and the centre of the film you have to expect the audience to decide that what they are watching is a film that has been made for children. That would already annoy many people, but the negativity is compounded by then making the rest of the feature an incredibly dull, dry film about space politics. It's the worst of both worlds.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Right. Come on, own up: Which one of you sausages is behind this? Is this you, Peter? Daniel? RARS?

Romf?

It's bloody one of you, I know.

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-fan ... last-jedi/
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

last.caress wrote:Right. Come on, own up: Which one of you sausages is behind this? Is this you, Peter? Daniel? RARS?

Romf?

Laughable.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

last.caress wrote:Right. Come on, own up: Which one of you sausages is behind this? Is this you, Peter? Daniel? RARS?

Romf?

Wouldn't be too hard a challenge, it was an appalling film
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Finally had time to see Solo. It was more meh than the previous couple. Didn't like the main characters at all. Very predictable storyline and had a touch of Part I - III that I hoped had been a thing of the past since Lucas sold his franchise.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Why do I not have time to watch movies yet you all watch loads?

What am i doing wrong?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Romf?

I wasn't crazy abut LJ, but I can sleep at night knowing it's out there. These people are insane.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

:lol:
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Flipping heck! Mind you, swap a few names out for West Ham references and it's not so different to what might be put to our board. Those Marxists will give us all a bad name so I've reached out to Disney and have set up the Real Star Wars Fans Action Group. We want:
1 - More piss breaks in the films.
2 - Alien tits.
3 - Nice First Order flags for anyone who sees all three films in the new trilogy.

That'll be £20, please.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

CMNinja wrote:Flipping heck! Mind you, swap a few names out for West Ham references and it's not so different to what might be put to our board. Those Marxists will give us all a bad name so I've reached out to Disney and have set up the Real Star Wars Fans Action Group. We want:
1 - More piss breaks in the films.
2 - Alien tits.
3 - Nice First Order flags for anyone who sees all three films in the new trilogy.

That'll be £20, please.
I'm in, as long as we can amend #2 to include- '... and Luke may not milk them.'

I want my flag. I saw the 3.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I rather enjoyed Solo - A Star Wars Story when I saw it at the Cinema, and am really looking forward to paying Amazon £27 for a 4k hard copy of it when it's officially released on September 24th. Because that's when it comes out. Not before then.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

This is rather clever

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANXucrz7Hjs[/youtube]
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

http://collider.com/boba-fett-movie-cancelled/

Nothing direct from LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy (yet), just a tweet from LA film critic Erick Weber claiming Ms. Kennedy has told him that the "Boba Fett movie is 100% dead, 100% focusing on (Jon Favreau TV show) The Mandalorian".

Didn't mind the thought of a Boba Fett movie, especially once it was reported that James Mangold (Cop Land, The Wolverine, Logan) would be writing and directing, but all-in-all it's probably for the best.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

last.caress wrote:Didn't mind the thought of a Boba Fett movie, especially once it was reported that James Mangold (Cop Land, The Wolverine, Logan) would be writing and directing
would have been until "creative differences" kicked in anyway...