What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by DasNutNock »

Banged Up Abroad.

Used to be a great show, when it was documenting thick northern peasant's tales of breathaking stupidity where they'd agree to traffic 14kg of heroin in exchange for a free holiday in Honduras or Bhutan or whatever, and would end up doing 18 years in a foreign jail for their efforts. You'd marvel at people's naivety and how easily manipulated the stupid can be.

The one on yesterday, however, was about a woman who illegally adopted a child in Egypt and served a prison sentence for human trafficking. Think she knew she'd broken the rules, but pretty harrowing to hear her describe being separated from her "adopted son".
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

A lot of things being mentioned on here that sound worth a watch and yet for some reason I watched Most Expensivest where rap dolt 2 Chainz investigates the most expensive things in the world. In the first one he ate wagu beef and a $100 dollar donut, and smoked the world's most expensive cigar. Apart from the donut bloke who seemed okay, the rest of the episode was a parade of imbeciles. Interesting that Louis XIII cognac was used in everything he tried.

Also, finally watched Bladerunner 2049 which was excellent but you all already know that.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

DasNutNock wrote:Banged Up Abroad.

Used to be a great show, when it was documenting thick northern peasant's tales of breathaking stupidity where they'd agree to traffic 14kg of heroin in exchange for a free holiday in Honduras or Bhutan or whatever, and would end up doing 18 years in a foreign jail for their efforts. You'd marvel at people's naivety and how easily manipulated the stupid can be.

The one on yesterday, however, was about a woman who illegally adopted a child in Egypt and served a prison sentence for human trafficking. Think she knew she'd broken the rules, but pretty harrowing to hear her describe being separated from her "adopted son".

did you see the one with henry hill ??

the guy who goodfellas was based on
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I *think* I might have done, but have seen a bunch of doccos about him & could be mistaken. Will take a look for it.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4398 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I watched the first part of the new Sky Atlantic documentary on Elvis - The Searcher.

It was well worth a watch - saw and heard lots of things I'd never seen or heard before - some interesting anecdotes and audio of Scotty, DJ Fontana and Sam Phillips, as well as people who owned the truck company he worked for etc etc.

Trod some unusual ground at times - didn't go heavy on the cliches or prolonged hit music clips, as well as using a lot of rarer tracks to support a deeper look at his upbringing, influences, family, the way the Colonel muscled in etc - almost the pre-Elvis Elvis - Elvis before he was "Elvis".
continental skills
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Nicola Walker has yet to be in a naff series my old chum....

Spooks
Last Tango in Halifax
The Split
Unforgotten

:)

Just finished watching all three and a bit seasons of Last Tango in Halifax. Barely an episode that didn't bring tears to my eyes. Wonderful writing and wonderful acting.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Still working my way through Krzysztof Kieślowski's Dekalog. Just done the 7th film. Despite my earlier reservations I have to say that it is a fantastic body of work and well worth it's cult status. Excellent.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Status Kev wrote:Still working my way through Krzysztof Kieślowski's Dekalog. Just done the 7th film. Despite my earlier reservations I have to say that it is a fantastic body of work and well worth it's cult status. Excellent.
:thup: Superior ****ing, this.

EDIT ^^^^^^^ "F i l m m a k i n g" didn't make it through the swear filter Image
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Hidden.
Welsh Scandi type drama, in a similar vein to Hinterland. Grim but very good.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1230 likes

Post by Tenbury »

ironsonthebrain wrote:Hidden.
Welsh Scandi type drama, in a similar vein to Hinterland. Grim but very good.

Sat here in hospital, just watched the first three on the bounce...
If I could move my leg, I'd have thrown myself out of the window that rather than watch four.....Opinions,huh?!
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:Whitehouse and mortimer go fishing on BBC 2. Pleasant viewing and worth a watch.

Think John Wilson from the 1990's TV show mixed with top gear lite.
Watched it on iPlayer last night. Thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for the heads up.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

The Death of Stalin. It's not as lol as Iannucci's other works, but it doesn't need to be. It's ridiculousness is its genius and makes it uncomfortably funny and repulsive at the same time. The writing is great as always, but it's the casting that's genius. He uses fantastic actors and has them use the voices and personas they're all renowned for. Steve Buscemi being Steve Buscemi playing Krushchev shouldn't work, but because the writing is so strong and because Buscemi is such a good actor, it's perfect. Same for all the actors. It just works. Really enjoyed this film.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I'll tell you what I didn't watch tonight: The Big Narstie Show on Channel.4. As far as I can tell, Big Narstie is a grime/rap artiste who now has the honour of fronting his own eponymous chat/music/topical humour show for the Friday night falling out the pub crowd.

Why didn't I watch it? Because I saw a trailer earlier this week, in which Big Narstie and someone else were talking about how this was going to be "the blackest programme on TV ever", or words to that effect, then the voiceover man said something like "The Big Narstie Show, this Friday, special guest star Ed Sheeran". Hmmmmm.....
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing on BBC iPlayer, Series 1 Episode 2.

Loving this, it's so peaceful.

Then watched Micky Flanagan An' Another Fing Live at London's O2 Arena DVD.
Brilliant.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Finally watched the remake of Stephen King's It.

Oh dear, it really is 'kin awful. Not the least bit scary and rather laughable at times. Having said that, some of the kids acting is fairly decent but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

Hoping to see Hereditary this week at the flicks. Hoping for a lot better with this.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Shy Ted wrote:Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing on BBC iPlayer, Series 1 Episode 2.

Loving this, it's so peaceful.

Then watched Micky Flanagan An' Another Fing Live at London's O2 Arena DVD.
Brilliant.

Do you see the swans in each episode? Swansong?

Mortimer and Whitehouse is very very good, The David Bowie comment was great. Where is that log cabin???
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Finally watched the remake of Stephen King's It.

Oh dear, it really is 'kin awful. Not the least bit scary and rather laughable at times. Having said that, some of the kids acting is fairly decent but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

Hoping to see Hereditary this week at the flicks. Hoping for a lot better with this.
Hereditary is ****. Dont bother. Heads get cut off thats all. Wait for The Predator
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Agreed - Hereditary is dog's muck. Very disappointing.
mental hamster666
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by mental hamster666 »

Brawl in cell block 99, pretty dam brutal,but great film.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Continuing the supernatural theme, last night's viewing was Mama which has Guillermo del Toro as its Executive Producer. A considerable improvement on the previous night's viewing of the It remake. Mama is a classy supernatural thriller/horror which I rather enjoyed. Starring Game of Thrones' Jaime Lannister aka, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Jessica Chastain it tells the story of how two little girls are missing for 5 years and then found in the woods having gone feral.
Worth a view if you enjoy this type of thing and a solid 7.5 out of 10. For comparison, I'd give It no more than a 3.

Little nod to Elsie, Jessica Chastain looks good in her Misfits t-shirt!