The Wrestling Thread: WWE, AEW etc.

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Re: The WWF in the 90s...

Post by brothernero »

Well Summerslam was bizarre to say the least. .

But at least the title are away from Bliss, Carmella and even better finally Brock Lesner.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

brothernero wrote:Well Summerslam was bizarre to say the least. .

But at least the title are away from Bliss, Carmella and even better finally Brock Lesner.
I'd have sooner left the strap on Bork Laser than put Roman Lames over.

That wasn't a Summerslam level event. Really poor.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

I'm in the "Don't mind" Roman Camp But that might be because I'm a huge Shield mark. His push is a joke though and it's clear he will never be liked by the vast majority.

Brock and the Paul Hayman promo's have gotten way to old and stale for me.

I thought it was bizarre how low down on the card the Heavyweight title was between AJ and Joe. Mind you I also feel very uneasy when they bring wrestlers kids into story lines.

Oh and I'm more than happy that Rhonda won the title, I would let her do unspeakable things to me. :raver:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

brothernero wrote:Well Summerslam was bizarre to say the least. .

I'm a fan of Bliss. At least she can talk. The fact that Stephanie McMahon got more offensive in at Wrestlemania against Ronda Rousey then Bliss did at Summerslam, considering she has been champion on Raw or Smackdown for a large part of the last 2 years is a joke. Basically buried the entire women's roster.

If the women who spends 2 years beating the entire roster, gets beaten by Ronda Rousey in 2 minutes without any attack at all, then what's the point in the division?

The main event was just odd to me as well. Braun comes out, tells both men he's facing them, then doesn't face them? and instead gets beaten up by Lesnar & runs away. Also, Roman can only beat Brock due to outside interference?

The whole show made no sense.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

They went off air pretty damn quick, by all accounts there was an awful lot of frustrated and angry fans come the end of the show. So the "Network" tried to hide that by ending as abruptly as they did.

Also what was with the Randy Orton section, came out then changed his mind and walked away.

Am I the only one that wants to see Alias wrestle rather than the singing stuff which is now quite tired and old?

Like others I thought after her win over Bliss that Ronda was going to be attacked by Nattie or the Bella's. But again nothing.

Becky turning Heel was both obvious but at the same time fun.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

I may well be alone, but Monday Night Raw........

S.H.I.E.L.D :scarfer:
HalfTimePie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by HalfTimePie »

I am a huge fan of The Shield and to be honest I'm one of the few who likes Reigns as champion. Needs to get better on the mic but IMO he has the look and the in ring ability to be up there. No idea why they don't just turn him heel. I just think he would work so much better p**sing people off on purpose every week.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I’m so out of tune with WWE. Not seen it since about May when I went to see it at the o2.

That said I’m planning on going to Mania next year in New Jersey
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Get tickets for Raw the next night if you go. Had a great time at a pretty dull Mania when we went but Raw was unbelievable fun the next night.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

CMNinja wrote:Get tickets for Raw the next night if you go. Had a great time at a pretty dull Mania when we went but Raw was unbelievable fun the next night.
Yeah will certainly be doing that.

Flights all booked, might wait to see the travel packages before booking my hotel considering the prices in New York!
HalfTimePie

Post by HalfTimePie »

I'm trying to get tickets for Wrestlemania in April but I have no idea which websites are reliable. Does anyone have experience of getting tickets for shows?

I have only ever been too house shows so usually come from the venues site. I have found some on a place called TicketCity but using something I'm not sure about always makes me wary.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

They're not on sale yet, keep an eye on wwe's website, I think it will be late October/early November they'll go on sale and Ticketmaster will be the seller (based on what I've seen for previous years).
HalfTimePie

Post by HalfTimePie »

Thanks mate, will keep an eye out.

Not sure what I found then unless sites are already trying to sell in advance.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

I was ****ing through the Sky Sports channels last night and caught the end of a segment on Raw featuring HBK and Undertaker. Haven't those two retired?
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

jastons wrote:I was ****ing through the Sky Sports channels last night and caught the end of a segment on Raw featuring HBK and Undertaker. Haven't those two retired?
HBK had the perfect retirement and for years kept it that way.
Now it seems that the big bucks the Saudi's are paying Vince to put on super shows has meant that Shawn is about to spoil all that.

The Undertaker lost his streak at Wrestlemania in 2014, came back and beat Bray Wyatt (who doesn't) 2015, had a crap match against Shane McMahon in 2016, lost a botch filled match to Roman Reigns in 2017 and left his hat and coat in the centre of the ring where everyone assumed that was it and the passing of the torch, but he came back this year and put on a marginally better showing when he squashed John Cena after not appearing for an entire year.

His last good match was again CM Punk in 2013 and bottom line is he should have retired but Vince loves the Taker character and Mark Callus doesn't have the good sense to hang up his boots.
But then for $2.5 million a year to wrestle one, maybe 2 dates why would you?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I honestly quit watching when the old skool guys retired...

They could work an audience, work the mike, be a heel one week the crowd favourite the next...they were great "entertainers" who could wrestle. Maybe the new guys are better wrestlers I don't know because their schtick is awful.

Davey Boy Smith, Brett Hart, HBK, Triple H, The Rock, Stone Cold, Taker, and loads more, could get the interest going. The tag team matches, as shyte as the Bushwackers were, they brought the crowd to life. The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom could work the crowd. The Hardy Boys, Edge and Christian, The New Age Outlaws, hell going back the Rockers.... I suppose I enjoyed the "Golden Era" when Hulk Hogan (who really COULD work everything, The Texas Tornado (now there's a tragic family) et al Jim Hacksaw Duggan, The Million Dollar Man, The Honky Tonk Man, Jake the Snake, Randy Macho Man I could go on....

These guys were really entertainers first and foremost.....the new guys, not so much...I know he's a crowd favourite, but Daniel Bryant and his Yes Yes Yes bored me to death and I finally gave up...no charisma...Cena really is about the only one now who can work a mike but his time is really come and gone... they hang the entire Raw/MNW and all that goes with it on recycling past it stars............
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

aaronhammer wrote:
Yeah will certainly be doing that.

Flights all booked, might wait to see the travel packages before booking my hotel considering the prices in New York!
Not sure it's any help but we stayed in Secaucus which is near the venue for the coming WM. It was easy(ish) to get to Meadowlands for WM and Raw with the added bonus of being a short bus/courtesy bus/taxi trip to Secaucus Junction train station. From there it's 13-15 minutes to Penn Station which brings you out in the heart of New York and right under Madison Square Garden - handy if you're going to Hall of Fame or just fancy some time in the city. It worked out a lot cheaper than the travel packages but required a bit more work. For what it's worth, we did then spend a few nights in New York itself and it was great but the Secaucus commute is a piece of piss and regular if you're on a budget.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Maybe the new guys are better wrestlers I don't know because their schtick is awful.
The workrate era of the new guys has possibly the best in ring wrestling talent they have ever had.
Guys like Seth Rollins on Raw, AJ Styles on Smackdown, Ricochet in NXT are some of the best performers they have had in terms of ability etc.
However all the wrestlers you talk about were given bullet points and a live mic and had to be entertainers to get over with a crowd.
These days they are so heavily scripted with **** lines like 'Sufferin Sucotash' and 'Tater Tots' that their lack of 'acting' ability is highlighted.
Also there is no competition anymore, guys like Piper and Hogan were fierce in their pursuit and protection of their spot, Piper never laid down for anyone.
Nowadays they operate a 50/50 Booking system where wins and losses don't matter so it is literally pointless as a ****ed competition and no one feels like a star.

When everyone hated Rocky Miavia they turned him heel and he got himself over, when everyone hated Roman Reigns he was forced down people's throats in the main event of 4 Wrestlemanias.

Golberg left, Lesnar left, The Rock left, Stone Cold got injured, Batista left, Punk left, Edge got injured, Orton is a bust. They lost all their top stars and Vince doesn't want anyone getting bigger than the company so they haven't built any stars with appeal beyond wrestling.
Cena is the last of the Ruthless Aggression Generation and the last to have to fight to get himself over which is why he's streets ahead in terms of star power, but now he's on the back nine and a part timer.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Wait, WTF? Matt Riddle's joined the WWE??? He was actually a very good HS wrestler, and beat Jon Jones a couple times - couldn't box for sh*t, though, so wasn't cut out for a long MMA career. Be interesting to see how he gets on. By which I mean, can anyone that actually watches US wrestling let me know how he gets on?