The Wrestling Thread: WWE, AEW etc.

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Re: The WWF in the 90s...

Post by last.caress »

If Hogan "has God in his corner", it'll be because he's got one eye on ****ing God's wife at some point in the immediate future.

I haven't looked at the product in any form in a long time now. Who's worth looking out for at the moment, Prawnie? I was toying with the idea of seeing if I could chase down a moody stream of that "All In" event from a few weeks ago, that looked like it might be a bit of me. I had a nose at ITV's WoS Wrestling but despite recognising a couple of familiar faces it just felt as though an episode of Gladiators had got out of hand. Awooga!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

He's always had that shtick though...

God, vitamins etc. etc.....great sell by Vince of the Hulkster...

although:

Hogan says he was saved at the age of fourteen, and has been a dedicated Christian ever since. He says that his faith kept him on the level.

I could have went the wrong way. I could have self-destructed, but I took the high road.

Hogan is a deeply religious man of evangelical Christian ilk. He’s a fan of Joel Osteen, a televangelist and minister at the country’s largest mega-church. Hogan talked about his faith at an Osteen event in Tampa.

The only thing that is really real is the stuff that’s gonna last forever, your faith and your belief in God. And knowing that once you’re a Christian, you’ve accepted Christ as your savior. . . you’re going to have ever-lasting life. That belief and that faith is what’s pretty much the only thing that’s real to me.2
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

last.caress wrote:If Hogan "has God in his corner", it'll be because he's got one eye on ****ing God's wife at some point in the immediate future.
I think God was the name of Kevin Nash's dealer...
last.caress wrote:I haven't looked at the product in any form in a long time now. Who's worth looking out for at the moment, Prawnie?
Hit and miss as ever these days - Hell In A Cell was filled with the usual fuckery and Raw is just a burning dumpster when not featuring Seth Rollins.
Smackdown has been good lately with AJ Styles feuding with Samoa Joe (although the feud has been largely hamstrung by the fact that they booked the match with Styles as Champ for the next Dubai Super Show months ago so the last three matches basically were telegraphed.
Cain Almas and Zelina Vega are starting to make an impact on the scene and Almas is a phenomenal talent as is she.
Becky Lynch has been great and down in NXT Tomasso Champa vs Johnny Gargano has been a great series.
Anything featuring Velveteen Dream has also been gold.
last.caress wrote:I was toying with the idea of seeing if I could chase down a moody stream of that "All In" event from a few weeks ago, that looked like it might be a bit of me.
All In and All In Zero Hour was really good.
Obviously a few teething issues with regards to production quality but surprisingly good for their first attempt.
SCU vs Briscoe was a solid opener
The Over budget Battle Royal was good because it was the payoff to a long running Bering The Elite story
On the actual show:
MJF vs Matt Cross was so so, probably the worst match on the card.
Stephen Amell vs Christopher Daniels was surprisingly good - but then Daniels showed his 20 years of class.
Madison Rayne vs. Chelsea Green vs. Britt Baker vs. Tessa Blanchard was solid bar a few botchy moments.
NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship: Nick Aldis (c) vs. Cody Rhodes was a decent old school match - Billy Corgan has done a fantastic job bringing back prestige to the title and the 10 Pounds of Gold Series they have been doing around it has been great.
Chicago Street Fight: Joey Janela vs. Hangman Page - I won't lie the match was brutal and then if you haven't watched Being The Elite it goes a bit bandy but it is funny if you have.
ROH World Championship: Jay Lethal (c) vs. Over the Budget Battle Royal winner - again this is a meta call back match with several turns where you need to have some idea of what they have been doing with Lethal but it is decent.
Kazuchika Okada vs. Marty Scurll - Match of the night 1. Okada is just amazing and I love Scurll.
Kenny Omega vs. Pentagon Jr. - Match of the night 2. Every bit as good as billed.
The Young Bucks & Kota Ibushi vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., Fenix & Bandido - suffered as they had to cut the over run time from their match but it was insane and great fun.
Also check out the aftermath on You Tube as Cody makes an inspired speech on the state of Pro Wrestling.

Definitely worth a watch but I am a big fan of the BTE crew so was rooting for them massively.
last.caress wrote:I had a nose at ITV's WoS Wrestling but despite recognising a couple of familiar faces it just felt as though an episode of Gladiators had got out of hand. Awooga!
Ha!
I watched two episodes... they are wasting Will Osprey and Davey Boy Smith Jnr.
The camera set up is awful, the fact they can't show too much violence due to the time and then book two ladder matches, the fact that Stu Bennett is handcuffed on commentary and Grado is champion gives it that old school British comedy schtick which makes it every bit of the embarrassing portrayal of wrestling that you would get in the eighties.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Excellent stuff as ever Prawnie, cheers :thup:. I'm going to try to chase down that event for sure. I don't care if I'm missing a bit of context here and there; if I stick with the product I'll pick that up and if I don't stick with it, it won't matter.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Hogan says... I could have went the wrong way. I could have self-destructed, but I took the high road.
:lol: :lol:
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Weighing in without an invite ... in addition to what Prawnie said, Progress is a decent British fed. I'd also say California's PWG is always worth a look. If you want something a bit different, check out Chikara - it used to be incredible, haven't seen it in a while but gather they're still deep in their talented oddball furrow. Having read enough to know you're probably into Japanese monster movies, I wouldn't recommend following them but Kaiju Big Battel is worth a look once for the novelty.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

CMNinja wrote:Weighing in without an invite ...
:thup:

Yup.
RevPro are getting it together too now as well but they rarely turn up on tv - the NJPW UK show was part NJPW roster part RevPro and was a solid effort.

There's always Lucha Underground as well although they have suffered with losing several mainstays of their roster.
CMLL and RoH frequently turn up on torrent now, hell even Impact put on some good stuff at the moment so it's actually a really good time for Pro Wrestling outside the E.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

CMNinja wrote:in addition to what Prawnie said, Progress is a decent British fed.
Yes, I've heard a fair bit about these without ever having looked in on them. My next-door neighbour is absolutely crackers about Progress, he goes to loads of the events and is always bedecked in the merchandise. He's invited me to go with him and his little gang a couple of times, maybe I should take him up on it at least once.
CMNinja wrote:Having read enough to know you're probably into Japanese monster movies, I wouldn't recommend following them but Kaiju Big Battel is worth a look once for the novelty.
:lol: Never heard of it but I just googled them and that looks like an awful idea, but in a good way. Or maybe it's a good idea in an awful way, I dunno. Just like Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen, Sticky Sticky Stick Stick or indeed KUMB's own Bend it Like Repka, Kaiju Big Battel looks like something which will amuse me enormously for about an hour straight before I need to never see or hear from it again for another two years, at which stage I'll be ready for another hour of it, maybe.

And I ****ing love Japanese monster movies. :thup:

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Elsie

you just lost all of your street cred with that clip..

:D :D :D
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45949192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(

Hope he beats it. My hope is that because they’re regularly medically checked it would’ve been spotted early, and he will also have access to some of the best treatment available - which I know from personal experience as my mum had a strain of it, makes a big difference because Leukaemia can be cured.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Leati Joseph Anoaʻi (Reigns) has already beaten this once 11 years ago which is probably why his professional football career ended, to have it return now is savage.

I don't particularly like the character Roman Reigns and his booking since 2015 which is a large part of why I barely watch the WWE any more but I have no desire to hear of a man in his early thirties with a family die of cancer.

Raw crowd last night showed that if he beats it he'll probably return as someone the audience will finally cheer.
He's taken **** from them for years now for the way that Vince has booked him and if this can reset that he deserves every bit of respect given.
Mr_Mercury

Post by Mr_Mercury »

PrawnSandwich wrote:Leati Joseph Anoaʻi (Reigns) has already beaten this once 11 years ago which is probably why his professional football career ended, to have it return now is savage.

I don't particularly like the character Roman Reigns and his booking since 2015 which is a large part of why I barely watch the WWE any more but I have no desire to hear of a man in his early thirties with a family die of cancer.

Raw crowd last night showed that if he beats it he'll probably return as someone the audience will finally cheer.
He's taken **** from them for years now for the way that Vince has booked him and if this can reset that he deserves every bit of respect given.
I had a very similar conversation with a chap in my office this morning. I hated the character but regardless this is dreadful news and hope he comes back better than ever and is given a fair push.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

PrawnSandwich wrote:I don't particularly like the character Roman Reigns and his booking since 2015 which is a large part of why I barely watch the WWE any more but I have no desire to hear of a man in his early thirties with a family die of cancer.
:thup: Came onto the thread to post this, more-or-less word-for-word. Awful news (I didn't know he'd had leukaemia before) and I pray he can beat it a second time.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Gutted for the big feller. Hope he is able to beat it once again. Saw the footage of him backstage and guys like Brawn and Trips Hugging him and wishing him well.

Deans Heel turn though. Wrong night? Or the Perfect time?
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

brothernero wrote:Gutted for the big feller. Hope he is able to beat it once again. Saw the footage of him backstage and guys like Brawn and Trips Hugging him and wishing him well.

Deans Heel turn though. Wrong night? Or the Perfect time?
Strowman is a close friend apparently as Reigns helped train him up.

Not seen raw yet just read the reviews - I'm going to watch later but apparently The SHIELDs reactions are pretty tough.

I think Dean's heel turn (which has been coming for ages) was probably perfect timing given the real tension in the air and story they have been telling. In kayfabe Roman's announcement was the straw that broke the camel's back.

On a related note Crown Jewel is in trouble.
Not only are the US Senate and media condemning WWE for going ahead with this event now they have lost Reigns and Cena and Bryan are reportedly refusing to go.
Personally having seen the TGRR earlier this year it is pretty nauseating for them to shill to the KSA whilst trying to push a female 'Evolution' at home.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

"Personally having seen the TGRR earlier this year it is pretty nauseating for them to shill to the KSA whilst trying to push a female 'Evolution' at home."

:thup:

They surely are not still going ahead with Crown Jewel are they??

WWE sometimes really are their own worse enemy.

Now Dean has turned Heel, I wonder how they will deal with Renee Young on commentary. They still act as if the two not married in real life. Will Renee remain face, or now be a Heel commentator. Perhaps they will move her to smackdown.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

They are not talking about it at the moment - hidden references to it on their site, tickets apparently not on sale, all a bit of a shambles...
'Monitoring the situation'.

Unreal and the depressing thing on top of being two faced about the women's 'revolution' is Shawn ruining his perfect retirement.

Mind you though it could cost them a rumoured $16m to pull it.

They'll probably keep ignoring it hopefully and keep Renee front and centre and she is one of the best assets they have going for them right now.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

I wonder who they will use to replace Roman as the top babyface.

Brawn was over with the fans big time before his recent turn so it could be him, Drew would be another choice. Perhaps even Elias. Saw some say it should be Kevin Owings, but not for me. Owings should maybe be a Tweener.

Of course Seth Rollins will now remain a top babyface. But they need another.

Regarding Renee, my missus normally has no issue with the woman I fancy on TV, But she has no idea why I fancy Renee at all. :)

Was looking forward to Evolution, but it clashes with the World Series. So will hope someone uploads it to Dailymotion.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

They flipped Braun back last night I think and also turned Elias and yeah all kinds of talk of McIntyre but they are loving his cool heel vibe at the moment.
Owens is out for six months at least apparently so they are going to have to work some magic with the roster.
Seth vs Dean is a great feud.

Renee is cute.
Becky Lynch man myself though I have to say and I'm much more into SDL as a product.

I'm looking forward to it as I've been watching the Mae Young Classic religiously and Rhonda is coming on well by all counts.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Becky Lynch is a goddess. Just perfect. Also my number 1 for sure.

I'm still undecided about the brand split, but Smackdown is quite enjoyable and before I got into WWE I was a huge TNA fan (My god that company sure went downhill fast) so my top 2 favourites remain AJ Styles and Jeff Hardy.

(The Icon Sting will always be my favourite. He was what got me watching Wrestling as a kid)

Not a fan of how WWE treat the WWE World Heavyweight Title. They make it seem quite irrelevant.

Was reading a few of the Wrestling forums and quite saddened to see comments saying that the Roman news is just a story and some even saying they are happy even if the news is true because it gets him off the show. Poor darts.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Horrible news - really feel for the bloke. Not been a big fan of the way he's been booked since the initial Shield run either but I think a lot of that has been down to the company's unwillingness to take the title off Lesnar. Reigns is certainly capable and has delivered some great matches and been involved in some real duffers and dud storylines but you can say that about most of the roster, even the more 'popular' stars. Regardless, the man's got a big fight on his hands and I hope he comes back healthy soon.

I'd not normally laugh when someone's announcing they've got leukaemia but it was weirdly amusing seeing some members of the crowd just couldn't give up trying to get their signs on screen while he was talking. At least the two with giant cardboard heads had the good grace to lower them when they realised what he was saying.

With regards to the Saudi debacle - quite apart from the morality/diplomacy issues, all that money lined up with the new deals for Raw and SD and they're willing to risk it for a fraction of what those contracts will get them. Morons.