Whats the best holiday you've ever had

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Whats the best holiday you've ever had

Postby cockney farmer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 am

Francoisvander or else wrote:Las Americas, Tenerife 1988. Crazy days of Acid House music and the added bonus I met the now Mrs FVE in Bobby's Bar. 30 years and 2 amazing kids later nothing could ever top it :thup:

Is Bobbys upstairs on Veronicas , if so I nearly came seriously unstuck in there at 5 in the morning about 15 years ago , drunkenly stood on the suede shoe, leaving an imprint , of a very serious "face" on the island , made my apologies and left pretty sharpish
cockney farmer

Postby Alfiehammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 am

Maldives with the ex. No shoes, no news (wifi). Snorkelling, all inclusive, a surprising a,punt of money being placed on crab racing and a beach/water villa. Mid 20s. Her in good shape. Good times
Alfiehammer

Postby only1post on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 am

Surprised Jaywick hasn't had a mention yet.
only1post

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I gave up on the traditional idea of a holiday years ago. I'd much rather be up a hill or mountain than a beach, and I like the climate here. I hate hot weather. Best holiday I ever had was a short break in Scotland because that was the trip that kickstarted this new way of life for me. Spent the first day crossing the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glencoe, followed by a days break and then up to Fort William to do Ben Nevis via the CMD arete. A fantastic few days. Since then I've given up with spending the whole year saving for a big holiday and instead just drive off somewhere for a little adventure every couple of weeks... the peak district, yorkshire dales, snowdonia, the lakes, wherever. Never very long to wait until the next one.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

When I was younger Mrs Jargon convinced me to spend thousands on a 48 hrs trip to Santa's gaff for our young kids. Sledging, snow mobiles all that jazz. I wasn't convinced but I realised I had more memories from that than two weeks on a Sun bed.

I now subscribe to mini breaks. Prague, Venise and my "bestest" was 3 days in the heart of Rome.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Not a holiday as such, but the 3.5 weeks spent camper vanning round South Island of New Zealand as part of a longer 4 month travelling trip back in 2012 was da bollox. was only me and the missus back then, crammed into a fairly small camper van, but New Zealand blew my mind tbf
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Jennie won't fly so holidays have been pretty restricted , we did go to Greece by train taking in Paris , Venice , Belgrade , Athens - back via Corfu , Brindisi - a couple of holidays in France with friends .

I love Woolacombe in North Devon .

Will probably do something similar to Dan next year .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Tenbury on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:17 pm

From when I was about 8, and my sister was 13, for about three years,Dad would stick us on a train and we 'd spend 10 days at my grandma's in Southsea. I've been all over the world, mostly on a motorcycle as I hate flying, but in truth I've never had a better time than that.
Tenbury

Postby rigoberts song on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Diani Beach Kenya beautiful turquoise sea great snorkeling and swimming. Then into Porini Lion camp in the masai mara for seven nights
going out On early morning game drives then going to sleep in a glamping tent at night with all the sounds going on around you was amazing.
saw lions hippos cheetahs etc every day was like being in a wildlife documentary.
rigoberts song

Postby chigwells finest on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:37 pm

rigoberts song wrote:Diani Beach Kenya beautiful turquoise sea great snorkeling and swimming. Then into Porini Lion camp in the masai mara for seven nights
going out On early morning game drives then going to sleep in a glamping tent at night with all the sounds going on around you was amazing.
saw lions hippos cheetahs etc every day was like being in a wildlife documentary.

did my honeymoon in kenya in 92

7 days safari
7 days mombassa
chigwells finest

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm

More thoughts:

Best family holiday - as posted earlier
Best weekender - Barcelona with my wife, a couple months or so after we met. Much drinking, superb dining, and rutting whilst the Euro was at a historic low
Best active trip - either skiing in France with the wife & her brother and his wife (again, when the Euro had tanked), or South Africa where I did that Cape Argus bike race thing
Best hotel stay - 4 Seasons, Santa Barbara
Best Uk - week in Cornwall late June when the wife and I got engaged. Also had the best drive ever that trip, the north Cornish coastline in my mgf
DasNutNock

Postby -DL- on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Whilst not as exotic as some, but a week away just me and the now ex, a holdall of clothes, a car, and not much cash, going around the mountains of Wales. No hotels, no B&B's, just two sleeping bags, b(one as a mattress of sorts, one to cover us) back seats of the car down, and lay-bys.

Sanitation and washing in service areas, garages and wherever else there was a bit of hot running water.

Glorious.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 am

DL sort of reminded me of a holiday Jen and I took before the kids came along , we had no money so we took the car and a tent down to Cornwall in late September , we set it up on a beach at Crackington Haven and during the night it rained and blew so hard the tent poles gave way and we had to spend the night in the car [ a Cortina Mk11 ] - In the morning I was so fed up I said ' That's it we're going home ' , Jen replied ' No we're not ' and found us this cheap old caravan in the middle of nowhere , well , it had a pub so couldn't have been in the middle of nowhere - We still talk about that holiday , first time I'd ever had proper scrumpy .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:03 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:first time I'd ever had proper scrumpy .

Aka Mad Cider..
Did you go all wobbly, Tomos?
Samba

Postby Syphalis on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:35 am

Francoisvander or else wrote:Las Americas, Tenerife 1988. Crazy days of Acid House music and the added bonus I met the now Mrs FVE in Bobby's Bar. 30 years and 2 amazing kids later nothing could ever top it :thup:

met my Mrs in Bonkers Bar in Las Americas in 1994 and now been married to her over 20 years & have twin Daughters :thup:
Syphalis

Postby Lt. Discussion on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLui_8t2thc

This was the defining tune from my last trip to Bobby's/Busby's. Choooon
Lt. Discussion

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 am

I've thought long and hard about this and just can't whittle it down to one as I've had so many good hols - I enjoy any break away but prefer going to places and seeing things rather than beach/pool hols. I also enjoy planning them and generally book stuff independently rather than packages, it's easier than you think and doing the research is fun. Of note are;-
- First holiday 'abroad' to Jersey with my folks back in the late 70s
- 6 weeks travelling round US with the missus before we got married in 92
- Honeymoon travelling round Ireland in 95
- Vietnam/Hong Kong 2013
- Australia 2011/16
- My 50th last Xmas - San Francisco/Big Sur/Las Vegas
pablo jaye

Postby Tristan Shout on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am

-DL- wrote: back seats of the car down, and lay-bys.

Knew I recognised you from somewhere
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby BMLGirl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:18 pm

10 day whitewater rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. Phantom Ranch to Diamond Creek. 10 mile hike down from the South Rim Village to Phantom Ranch where the rafts picked us up, some very scary rapids, some lazy days floating down the Colorado River, some amazing hiking and sights only accessible from the canyon floor, sleeping in the open air on the river banks (went in June so it was hot and so tents not needed), washing in the river. Holiday if a lifetime.

For a lazy relaxing holiday - the Maldives. Heaven on earth.
BMLGirl

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm

That trip on the GC is something I want to do - went 25 years ago as student she and could only afford a trip along the top. Looking down and seeing what looked like ants along the river is something that has fuelled my desire to do it. Didn't have time to do it when we were there at Xmas but went to Red Rock Canyon which itself is impressive for different reasons.
pablo jaye

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug