Children should revise for 7 hours a day...

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Children should revise for 7 hours a day...

Postby sendô on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:03 pm

The problem with exam grades is that they are no guarantee of intelligence - merely of an ability to cram in a certain amount of information.

Apparently kids have been getting smarter and smarter for a couple of decades now, but this doesn't seem to have manifested itself into the real world.

For me, what's more important is the kids actually learning something that they can apply to real world situations when they're older, rather than remembering answers by rote because the teacher knows they're going to come up in the exam.

Thy should also be spending easter enjoying themselves.
sendô

Postby Hammer32 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:45 pm

WHen i revised for my o and A levels i worked a normal school day over easter revising and a bit in the evening equivalent to home work.

Revise 45 min take 15 min off, repeat .
Hammer32

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:08 am

sendô wrote:The problem with exam grades is that they are no guarantee of intelligence - merely of an ability to cram in a certain amount of information.

Apparently kids have been getting smarter and smarter for a couple of decades now, but this doesn't seem to have manifested itself into the real world.

For me, what's more important is the kids actually learning something that they can apply to real world situations when they're older, rather than remembering answers by rote because the teacher knows they're going to come up in the exam.

Thy should also be spending easter enjoying themselves.

Kids are often just taught how to pass the exams rather than actually learning. Even I have been on courses where the tutor has spent time just saying ‘....and this is what you need to remember for the exam ‘.
pablo jaye

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:13 am

All true, but doesn’t mean that there are an increasing number of jobs that won’t consider your CV if you aren’t a graduate.
DasNutNock

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:33 am

DasNutNock wrote:I didn’t say it was the be-all end-all, but I don’t understand why anyone would think that hard work prevents the development of a personality, or hobbies and interests.

Seven hours a day revision though? :shock:

I actually have a bit of an insight on this. My posh sister and her husband really pushed (and I mean REALLY) pushed their kids academically. They wanted for nothing as they're quite well off but they had no real childhood. I don't ever remember them playing with toys, having any real friends and doing the things that young kids want to do. All that mattered was grades and qualifications. My abiding memory of them as kids was them revising for some exam or another. The eldest daughter was really pushed hard, to the point she got grade 8 music, just to prove she could do it. No interest in music before or since and she doesn't even look at a piano any more. The youngest is now 21 and has just landed a job with the civil service (paying a astronomical amount for someone that age) but I can't help thinking she's missed out on a lot. She doesn't have any real friends, is not street-wise at all and just has no experience of life.

Contrast that with my other sister. She has two girls and a boy. I think I may have ruined the boy's life - he's into punk, metal, plays guitar and has moved out and lives in Brighton. He does a minimum wage job but has never been happier. He's got a lot of friends, is really street-wise and is turning out to be a well rounded bloke. The other two are academically average but have had a great childhood, brilliant personalities and are just well rounded kids.

If I had kids, I'd like to think mine would turn out the latter rather than the former.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:49 pm

They’re at school more than 7 hours a day, why is revising for 3 hours in the morning and 4 in the afternoon some huge challenge? Some kids might not need to do that much to be academic high achievers. Kids of average intelligence might have to do 7 hours a day if they want to go to a proper university, rather than a pretend one.

7 hours out of 24 leaves plenty left for other stuff in a day.
DasNutNock

Postby JerseyHammer on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I certainly wasn't able to manage 7 hours a day. I knew from about 12 years old that I'm 100 times more effective (at almost anything that requires my brain to function at more than 5%), if I do it in the morning.

I revised from 7am until 12 latest. Those 4-5 hours were as effective as doing 8 hours from midday until 8pm.

I had decent goals to work towards - get today's revision done then go for a surf, 5 a side with mates, go fishing, something like that.

It depends on the person more than anything, providing they are left to their own devices. Plenty of my mates locked themselves away during holidays and revision time with a mixture of results. Equally, there are those that really don't need to do much to get an A.
JerseyHammer

Postby Xander on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Ban homework. All time at home for fun and families. The teachers and kids should stay in school until 18:00. Please note this would mean teachers might have to work more that the current average of 17 hours a week (taking into account lunch breaks, morning and afternoons and 12 weeks a year annual.)The teachers could even mark work during the study periods from 1500- 1800.

This may be a shock for teachers (bearing in mind 3 days off with snow none of them managed to mark my kids mock a levels)

You're having a giraffe, right? My Mrs teaches Year 3 (7-8 year olds). She, like all the other teachers at her school, are in by 8.00am despite the kids not coming in til 9.00 to do prep, get the classrooms ready and so on. There is no such thing as morning break as it is either spent on duty in the playground or printing resources for later that day or sorting out issues that may have come up. I have never known her have an hour's lunchbreak; it's either running clubs, marking or duty if it's raining or speaking to kids who have been up to no goos or any kid who is having problems. She stays at school every day til just after 6pm marking and/or planning or running an after-school activity. She comes home, has maybe an hour off, then is planning / marking / organizing an event or whatever for the next 4-6hours. She has to go to at least one evening event a month with the kids.

Half Terms she usually gets 1 or 2 days to herself, the rest is planning, updating their Target Tracker thing that monitors progress or writing reports and marking. Usually at Christmas she gets about 4 days off around all the admin and planning that is expected. Even during the 6 week break she will spend over a week going into school getting the classroom ready.

Yeh they got a lot of holidays but actually with all the marking and planning, clubs etc they are working about 70hour+ weeks, more when they have Music Festivals, overnight trips, Shows and so on. Personally I work more than that but that's down to me having a day job and runnimg my own business so my chocie but Average Joe probably works 40-45hours a week so given that teachers are working on average 25hours a week more than your standard job, I think the holidays are justified!

But like I said, guessing you were joking about "how little" they work!
Xander

Postby sendô on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:56 pm

JerseyHammer wrote:I knew from about 12 years old that I'm 100 times more effective (at almost anything that requires my brain to function at more than 5%), if I do it in the morning.

I revised from 7am until 12 latest. Those 4-5 hours were as effective as doing 8 hours from midday until 8pm.

I'm pretty much like that now, much better at stuff I need to concentrate on in the mornings.
sendô

Postby kayahammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 am

Coops wrote:All kids are different, some need more time than others some won't learn no matter how many hours they spend staring at a book.

After a certain amount of time the knowledge they gain starts going back into the books they are staring at.

Better to spend the 7 hours a day devising fool proof ways to cheat. It didn't harm that American who taught for 17 years whilst being illiterate.
kayahammer

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 am

Probably time to junk the syllabus altogether and concentrate on teaching kids how to be popular, self-confident, and manipulative. The core skills we value in UK industry, the ones that will see our kids rise to the top.
DasNutNock

Postby EastBrisHammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 am

DasNutNock wrote:They’re at school more than 7 hours a day, why is revising for 3 hours in the morning and 4 in the afternoon some huge challenge? Some kids might not need to do that much to be academic high achievers. Kids of average intelligence might have to do 7 hours a day if they want to go to a proper university, rather than a pretend one.

7 hours out of 24 leaves plenty left for other stuff in a day.

Being at school is very different to sitting in front of some books and revising. Revising for 4 hours in the afternoon is not going to work for 99% of kids. I don't have the attention span for that now let alone when I was 16. I would say 3-4 hours/day is more than enough and that way some of the information may even sink in.

Proper university!...stop being a snob. I went to an ex-poly and many companies I have worked for have commented how they love people from my uni as opposed to a redbrick, Russell Group uni because of the better aptitude and practical knowledge. I had a chance to go to a proper uni but turned it down because the course looked crap.
EastBrisHammer

Postby view from the shires on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm with GCRO. I would rather my kids developed into rounded adults than had good grades. The two that have left school so far have done OK and more importantly are happy.
view from the shires

Previous

Return to The Snug