A thread to discuss physical health issues

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

A thread to discuss physical health issues

Postby DrVenk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Just reading the mental health thread, and it seems quite a few of us have skin complaints (notably psoriasis and/or eczema). So, I think a separate thread for physical ailments might be in order. Would be good to get a bit of 'bro science' feedback (stuff that just seem to work for you but is not necessarily clinically recognised). Would also be good to get feedback on prescribed meds and what seems to work/doesn't and dealing with side-effects etc. Everything from dealing with mobility issues to man flu and all that is in between.

I'll kick off - I had eczema on my elbows and buttocks. Mine didn't seem to correlate with stress but rather diet. I cut out dairy and eggs and the elbow inflammation went. Skin generally cleared up too. The backside eczema, very stubborn. Skin complaints love those sweaty areas anyway. However, I got rid of it by taking a spare pair of boxers to work which I changed into after lunch, exfoliating the area with sea salt twice a day, and then immediately slapping on a ton of moisturiser after exfoliating. Within 10 days, it had gone.

The sciency bit that I've picked up on is that the use of hydrocortisone for most skin complaints is probably ill advised, even though it is the primary 'go to' prescribed medication. Hydrocortisone actually thins the layer of skin. It's blinding for initially reducing inflammation, but that will just come back again 24 hours later. So, more gets applied. On and on we go. It's not a good regime. Generally convinced diet, cleansing habits, and use of non-steroid topical treatments is the way to go for skin conditions.

Anyway, would be good to hear how others deal with physical conditions or are just seeking to find out how others handle theirs :thup:
DrVenk

Re: A thread to discuss physical health issues

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm

If you think you are getting a cough, an old trick I was taught was to roughly chop up an onion and cover it with muscovado or demerara sugar. The sugar sweats out the juice of the onion.

Drink it down like a shot.

If you do it before the infection has time to spread, it often seems to stop it in its tracks.

I warn you; the taste needs filing under 'acquired' and you'll want to either brush your teeth or chew some kind of freshening gum.

But it definitely works.
prophet:marginal

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I can get a whole lime under my foreskin.
DasNutNock

Postby DrVenk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:18 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:But it definitely works.

Good bro science :thup: Will give that a go. And then there's...

DasNutNock wrote:I can get a whole lime under my foreskin.

Bad bro science. Although overtly a physical thing, I think you might need to talk to someone mate :)
DrVenk

Postby Harry Hound on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 pm

DrVenk wrote:J
I'll kick off - I had eczema on my elbows and buttocks. Mine didn't seem to correlate with stress but rather diet. I cut out dairy and eggs and the elbow inflammation went. Skin generally cleared up too. The backside eczema, very stubborn. :

You're definitely on the right track here, my wife is a nutritionist (with a strong medical background) and my stepdaughter a dermatologist. From talking to them I understand that diet is a huge factor in many medical conditions including many skin conditions such as chronic eczema. :thup:
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby DrVenk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:50 pm

That's reassuring to hear HH. I'm convinced microbiology is going to unearth more and more significant findings over the coming decades on intolerances. And these can be VERY mild intolerances but nonetheless potentially insidious in terms of physical wellbeing.
DrVenk

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Sorry mate, I can't come round for Mojitos tonight after all....
Hammer1972

Postby CMNinja on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 pm

I've got recurring sinusitis. It's really ****ing annoying, especially the blinding headaches and the inability to bend over without feeling like my head's going to explode. The loss of the sense of smell I can cope with. Can anyone recommend preventative measures that don't involve rinsing your sinuses four or five time a day?

Apparently the bassist of EMF could do the same. He's dead now - I don't recall it being citrus-related but you can never be too careful.
CMNinja

Postby DrVenk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 pm

CMNinja wrote:sinusitis

Have you been referred to the ENT hospital and had a nasal endoscopy?
DrVenk

Postby CMNinja on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm

No, I didn't realise it could progress that way. I saw the doctor during the first two episodes and both times he told me to buy that nasal rinse and that was it. I haven't gone back since as I assumed it'd be the same advice again. Thanks for the tip, Doc.
CMNinja

Postby DrVenk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:32 pm

No worries. First time the Dr will think it is just acute sinusitis. If he/she know it's ongoing, then it would be diagnosed as chronic sinusitis and you should be referred. They'll check for blockages at the ENT.

In the mean time, you might want to think about any possible allergies as it could be those triggering the sinusitis. Have you tried taking anti-histamines when you get a stuffy nose? If not, definitely worth a try.
DrVenk

Postby S-H on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Ffs :D
S-H

Postby S-H on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Good thread Venk, nice one mate. :thup:
S-H

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 pm

....because it's in a jar beside the bed?
Monkeybubbles

Postby vietnammer on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 am

prophet:marginal wrote:If you think you are getting a cough, an old trick I was taught was to roughly chop up an onion and cover it with muscovado or demerara sugar. The sugar sweats out the juice of the onion.

Drink it down like a shot.

If you do it before the infection has time to spread, it often seems to stop it in its tracks...But it definitely works.

That's a very Chinese thing to do. They still have a huge trust in what we've come to call 'Holistic/Alternative' medicine whereby it's straight to the herbs and roots and food in general. They think drinking hot water is good for you ffs. Won't dismiss it entirely because it seems a lot of modern medicine is based on refinements of herbal treatments, but there is, I think, a 'trendy' aspect to the promotion of herbal medicine. We'll be going back to treating cancer with a mixtures of parsely and bird **** a-la ancient times.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Samba on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 am

DasNutNock wrote:I can get a whole limb under my foreskin.

:shock:
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Adrianisournumber1 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:51 am

Psoriasis is still brutal today, my wife asked why i was in tracksuit bottoms (i never wear them) but read lose fitting clothing was best for it. I looked like a right chav on the school run :lol:
Adrianisournumber1

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 pm

I scanned some old photos onto my old laptop last week and put a few of them on my facebook page - i noticed in one of the photos that I'm wearing long socks but you can clearly see the coal tar bandages I had to wear - they didn't work , just made things worse - please don't laugh , but when I was young my mother got so desperate she sent me to a Faith Healer to try to get rid of my eczema , that didn't work either ! :)

I had all the usual creams , most made it worse none cured or helped much .

I've read and read and read some more on the subject but nothing helped .

As I said earlier in around 2006 or 2007 i gave up alcohol completely for 10 months , my eczema cleared up so well it only needed E45 to keep it at bay even when I went back to drinking alcohol the eczema still stayed away , I was beginning to think it was some hormonal change but no it came back again around 4 years ago - I was given Doublebase and some very strong ointment , that did the trick again and i only used doublebase to keep it at bay - then just recently it's returned once more .

I'm going to guess the link is our impending move to Elgin , or should I say MY impending move as Jennie and Dan have already moved last Wednesday . I'll be joining them on Tuesday . I'm going to guess again that it'll go away once I've got used to living in our temporary accommodation .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Officer Dibble on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Mrs Dibble suffers with Crohn's Disease, she has been taking Humira steroid injections for the past 8 - 10 years.

Bizarrely, her Mum, who suffers with Psoriasis has been taking the same steroid injections for the past 5 years. The injections have manged the Psoriasis better than any of the cream she ever took.
Officer Dibble

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 am

I used to watch Dirty Sanchez (Welsh Jackass basically) when I was younger and a bloke fit a Cadburys mini roll under his. My brother dared me to do it, so I did. Oddly proud achievement at the time but a lime is definitely more risky!.
chelmsfordhammer91

Next

Return to The Snug