Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm

sendô wrote:It depends on what you do, or what people in your office do, but my company is very client orientated, they've made a great effort to make their head office look impressive to clients and other visitors, yet on a Friday you have people strolling around in trainers, hooded jumpers etc.

Just saw some bloke strolling round the office, mid 20s I'd guess, wearing:

- An oversized, sagging cardigan in the Starskey and Hutch mould
- A v-necked t-shirt that was in danger of revealing his navel
- Tight black jeans rolled up several inches above his 10-hole Air Wairs
- Standard-issue hipster beard/haircut/"statement" glasses
DasNutNock

Postby stuboy on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:26 pm

The place I'm at now was a real eye opener for dress down Fridays. I come from a place where everyday it was smart casual - the normal shirt/polo, jeans/chinos, smart (ie clean and relatively new) shoes or trainers. I was based in Southwark at a software provider for advertising agencies.

Now at my new place, that has three London sites with similar dress code as above, it also has numerous distribution sites which have strict smart dress code - even though the offices/desks/carpets are tatty as hell - which means shirts, trousers shoes at all times......except for Friday where the highlights so far I've seen

- astro football trainers with sports socks and barcelona shorts
- red tracksuit bottoms with yellow polo shirt (inc holes in and paint marks on)
- a very stupendous pyjama type pair of trousers with sheep on.
- vest top, board shorts and flip flops.

They just don't get it.
stuboy

Postby delbert on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Trying to transfer some music from my PC to my Android phone, what a poxy chore. It's on there somewhere but Google Music isn't interested in finding it.........
delbert

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 pm

delbert wrote:Trying to transfer some music from my PC to my Android phone, what a poxy chore. It's on there somewhere but Google Music isn't interested in finding it.........

Was it that song by sister sledge "lost in music" :)
ageing hammer

Postby delbert on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm

:D The right era.......
delbert

Postby Alfiehammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:17 am

I got a fairly rapid car, but people who pull out in front of you, making you break quite lively and poodle along when there was no traffic behind you and they could have pulled out after you and poodled along at their leisure...
Alfiehammer

Postby warp on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Alfie's archival pic:

warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Tenbury on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:56 pm

There's few trendy shops in town,sort of 'lifestyle' places,and amongst all the useless tat in the windows they have a preponderance of crap platitudes,sort of 'there's no place like home' but much ,much cheesier.Some people actually buy them...I took the lad round to his mates today,by the door was a little sign..'.Cherish Yesterday, Live Today, Dream Tomorrow'........Oh f%*k off.
Tenbury

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 pm

delbert wrote:Trying to transfer some music from my PC to my Android phone, what a poxy chore. It's on there somewhere but Google Music isn't interested in finding it.........

Use a different MP3 player. Google music is *****. Any other MP3 player will find music on your phone easily.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby vietnammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:24 pm

stuboy wrote: dress down Fridays.

Well that in itself really. Only encountered this at one place I worked. It's pointless. It's an (I thought) out-dated US fad-thing wherein the company make out they are giving you something which is in fact a vacuous nothing at all. Plus the insinuation that they own every day of the week and therefore every part of your life. 'Oh wow, Friday feels so much better'. Arrive in smelly shitty pants Tuesday?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby southbrishammer on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 pm

As a serious tea drinker but hater of coffee, I'm used to going into cafes where there are six different types of coffee on the menu, then at the bottom as an afterthought "cup of tea", in the full knowledge that it will be, at best, Twinings Everyday or Taylors, but most likely Sainsbury Red Label.

So my eyes light up when I see just below "cup of tea" the words "speciality teas". What irritates me is when I ask what speciality teas they have, hoping for Darjeeling or Yunnan, or in a perfect world Oolong (as the saying goes "love Oolong time"), and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.
southbrishammer

Postby delbert on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Use a different MP3 player. Google music is *****. Any other MP3 player will find music on your phone easily.

:thup:

I've bunged VLC on it and now it's all systems go, the Goombay Dance Band has never sounded so good.....Image
delbert

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 pm

southbrishammer wrote:.................................

and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.

As one of our lady engineers called them, lesbian teas.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Hammers Dad on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Idiots who do not clear snow off their car, especially the windows and lights.
Lost count of the number who think wind screen wipers are enough for all round vision and whose lights were obstructed by snow.
Hammers Dad

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 pm

agree there , no doubt most of Basingstoke will be heading out tomorrow with a frozen 5 inches on snow on the roof of the car , which turns to frozen missiles once at 70 on the M3
It takes **** all to brush the car off before that **** freezes
FreeWheeling

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am

Brushing the snow off two cars yesterday afternoon, only for it to dump down again last night and have to do it again this morning
hammerdivone

Postby claretandblue82 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 am

hammerdivone wrote:Brushing the snow off two cars yesterday afternoon, only for it to dump down again last night and have to do it again this morning

You should of left it on and driven down the motorway. A speed of 70mph would of blown it off! 8-)
claretandblue82

Postby Coops on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

southbrishammer wrote:As a serious tea drinker but hater of coffee, I'm used to going into cafes where there are six different types of coffee on the menu, then at the bottom as an afterthought "cup of tea", in the full knowledge that it will be, at best, Twinings Everyday or Taylors, but most likely Sainsbury Red Label.

So my eyes light up when I see just below "cup of tea" the words "speciality teas". What irritates me is when I ask what speciality teas they have, hoping for Darjeeling or Yunnan, or in a perfect world Oolong (as the saying goes "love Oolong time"), and it turns out they are all fruit/herbal infusions. Tea comes from the plant Camellia sinensis, not blackcurrant, elderflower or chamomile.

These coffee places are incapable of making a decent cup of tea. They generally have a really flash coffee machines costing thousands of pounds. These machines use water at 92° to 96°, as any self respecting tea drinker knows tea should be made with boiling water. This problem could be overcome if only they would invest in an actual kettle.

The other problem is that the people who work in these places have no idea what a decent cup of tea should look like. Ask for a cup of tea in a coffee chain and what you will end up with is a cup of lukewarm milky water.
I always ask to put my own milk in, although I generally just opt for a coffee these days as that is preferable to rank tea.

Actually something else that irritates me about these places is that they expect you the customer to play along with the bull**** naming conventions they have fora cup of coffee. I don't play along, I just ask for a strong black coffee.
Coops

Postby sendô on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Reminds me of that annoying ad on the tele/radio - "What's a flat white?".
sendô

Postby Coops on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm

sendô wrote:Reminds me of that annoying ad on the tele/radio - "What's a flat white?".

I think they have hit the nail on the head with their advertising.
Coops

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug