Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby -DL- on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 am

And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 am

-DL- wrote:And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.

That'll learn him.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

Both my parents and my in laws live on relatively busy suburban roads. My parents road is also a bus route. Both have driveways. In all the time my parents have lived there, since 1981, no one has ever reversed into the drive, and nor have I ever seen any neighbours drive in. Everyone drives in and reverses out. Same at my in laws.

Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby claretandblue82 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 am

Got what he deserved then!

My wife's cousin is a paramedic and told me how they went to one accident involving a bike and the biker was in shorts and t-shirt, no leathers at all. They had to clean out the grit from his wounds with a toothbrush!

Got a friend too who used to ride and boost about how fast he had been going. Told him he'll have an accident one day then it happens and he has been told he can't go back on a bike again due to the knock he took on the head.

I got respect for bikers but if you ride like a dick then something will eventually happen.
claretandblue82

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:25 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:That'll learn him.

Would you feel the same degree of empathy if he'd hit a pedestrian whilst going twice the speed limit?

My cousin stuck his bike under a bus on the A40 when he was 19, driving it like an absolute idiot. Its the other people that you really feel sympathy for.
DasNutNock

Postby CentenaryUpperHammer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

-DL- wrote:And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.

Had an issue around Hornchurch/Rainham with dickheads riding around on mopeds and the like pulling wheelies and essentially playing chicken with cars. Some have 2/3 people on. They've also been driving around nicking other bikes and just causing havoc. I don't get what the point is? I'm pretty sure I've got betters odds at surviving whilst sitting in my motor than they have when playing chicken with me. ****ers.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Postby Smonnie on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:

I do - I'd rather stick the hazards on and be in control of the situation while I'm parking as I can effectively stop the traffic behind me.

The alternative is to reverse out onto oncoming traffic at leaving-for-work time, when everyone is a hurry and nobody wants to stop.
Smonnie

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:.................................

I do. Every time.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Tenbury on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm

So do I. When I last read the Highway Code (on parchment), I was sure it said something about not reversing into a road.
Tenbury

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I do. Someone years ago gave me two excellent pieces of advice:

1) Always reverse park, every time. You're statistically more likely to be involved in an accident when you reverse out of a space.

2) All cars cost you money, so you might as well drive one you like.

Needless to say, I completely ignored him on point 2.
DasNutNock

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?

It depends on what mood I am in.

I live on a bend, so reversing into my drive can be as risky as reversing off of it.
RichieRiv

Postby devonshire flu on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm

I always reverse into a driveway.

Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe.
devonshire flu

Postby Algarve Hammer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:

Me, always.
It's much safer to reverse into a driveway which is a fairly sterile environment than to reverse out onto a public highway where you have no control over other people's often stupid behaviour.
Algarve Hammer

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 pm

devonshire flu wrote:Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe.

Nonsense.

It depends on the road, the position of the driveway and visibility both ways.

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have reversed off the driveway for the 20+ years I've lived here. I can see far enough both ways to make it safe for me to reverse out, assuming there is no 20 year old on a motorbike acting like a prick
hammerdivone

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 pm

hammerdivone wrote:
Nonsense.

Define nonsense?

hammerdivone wrote: It depends on the road, the position of the driveway and visibility both ways.

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have reversed off the driveway for the 20+ years I've lived here. I can see far enough both ways to make it safe for me to reverse out, assuming there is no 20 year old on a motorbike acting like a prick

......and there it is.

You can't call something nonsense then follow it up with "depends on this" and "depends on that"

The biker was at fault for speeding. But reversing out of a driveway into oncoming traffic is extremely dangerous and anyone doing it should reconsider their style of driving. In effect, its driving blind. Its difficult to see pedestrians and other vehicles, especially ones going faster than they should. Why take a chance?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 am

You made the statement "Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe."

That is nonsense.

You assume reversing means pulling out blind into oncoming traffic, that is also nonsense.

As I said in the example I gave, it is safe to do so as it is a quiet cul-de-sac with good vision either way. A different road with different visibility could make it dangerous to do so. It depends on the situation.
hammerdivone

Postby OFT on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:47 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I do. Every time.

Me too, and her ladyship, every time,

Edit: we live on a relatively busy road and think it's much easier to pick your moment when you're reversing in.
Which brings me to an irritation, The bloke that lives 2 doors up always drives in and is always complaining if people park in the street that it's difficult to reverse out. makes a big deal of it . it gets right on 'em that, and while we're at it, that feckin Top Cashback advert
OFT

Postby delbert on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:06 am

Where I live there's generally cars parked all the way down my side of the road. It makes no difference if I reverse out or drive out, the car or bike coming down the road will see either the back or front of my car coming out long before I see them coming along.........
delbert

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 am

"Extremely dangerous" I think is pushing it.
RichieRiv

Postby Tenbury on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 am

Agree 100%. Pushing it out would be bloody dangerous.
Tenbury

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug