Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Reminds me of the time I had my Mini's bonnet resprayed. I had a '91 Cooper (the last of the carburettor models) and the bonnet was chipped to blazes. The previous owner had jet-washed the bloody thing too which had lifted off the varnish and it looked horrible.
I took it in for a respray, as a birthday present to myself, went to pick it up and was driving it back from the paint shop with it looking superbly shiny and new.
With about 2 miles of the journey home completed, I passed a lorry going the other way. This lorry had evidently just left a construction site or a quarry and just before our paths crossed, a small boulder dislodged itself from some nook or cranny of the behemoth. It shot high in the air, the sun glinting off its many sharp edges as it continued its inevitable trajectory in Matrix-like slow-mo towards the middle of my newly resprayed bonnet.
PING!
A one inch long gouge down to the bare metal slap bang in the centre of it within 10 minutes of picking it up.
I was more than slightly miffed.

Stuff like that is why I've long given up on trying to own nice things.
DasNutNock

Postby stuboy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Having a new windscreen fitted last week only for it to get hit by a stone from the opposite carriageway and now needs replacing again. :thdn:

Should have been reversing. :wink:
stuboy

Postby delbert on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

:lol:
delbert

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I'd like a Les Paul Standard, but can't justify the spends.

Get yourself an old Burny, Orville or Greco guitar from the 70s or 80s. (there's loads on eBay). The quality is superb and much better than the stuff Gibson churn out for a fraction of the price. So much so, that Gibson stopped trying to prosecute them for copying their guitars and contracted them to produce Gibson guitars for the Asian market. I owned a white Burny Randy Rhodes copy and the quality was superb and it played better than any Gibson Les Paul I ever played. These companies copied the Gibsons down to the last detail (even down to the number of windings on the pickup coils) and produced superb instruments.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Nice tip, I shall do some digging :thup:
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 am

Got a Dean resonator electric
Can I play it, **** no
But it looks the dogs on my wall :D

http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998003289
FreeWheeling

Postby -DL- on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 am

DasNutNock wrote:I've never owned an electric guitar. I've had several acoustics (including a lovely Simon & Patrick I was bought 13 years ago), a semi-acoustic for gigs, and a cheap P-bass, but I've still never owned a fully electric 6-string guitar. Pretty tragic, given that I've been playing guitars one way or another for over 25 years.

That said, if I can get one at a good price, I quite fancy getting a Fender Tele this year. I'd like a Les Paul Standard, but can't justify the spends.

There are a few I would like to own, but after the kerfuffle I've had the past 24 hours with her still banging on at me, alas spending any decent amount of money on any more guitars may be a bit tricky.

I love the sound of a Tele, and I wouldn't mind a nice Gretzch hollow body. A decent Ibanez bass wouldn't go amiss either. I'd also quite like to get a decent acoustic, because the one I have is pretty **** in all honesty.

I may be able to justify the acoustic tbf, as she likes it when I play acoustic, and I don't play it often enough as I really don't like the cheap and nasty 90 quid Argos jobby that I've had for years.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 am

if someone could see to picking me up an early 80s silverbust les paul custom with a couple of SD pickups in it i'd be more than happy to buy you a rib roll (small or medum) next matchday.

recently had an early 90s rg550 done up and it feels as good as any JEM i've ever played.
Beavis Danzig

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 am

stuboy wrote:
Should have been reversing. :wink:

Along the A13?

Cock.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am

Oh lighten up.
RichieRiv

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

DasNutNock wrote:Nice tip, I shall do some digging :thup:

I have a couple of Epiphones .... a Cherry Dot and a Les Paul. Both have a great sound and again, a fraction of the price of a Gibson. Epiphone were in fact bought out by Gibson years back.

GCRO - cheers for the recommendations of Burny and Greco - I am looking out for a Fender Tele, or Mustang, so will see if I can try some of these out.
pablo jaye

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 pm

-DL- wrote:I'd never pay full price for one, but a once in a lifetime chance of one for 40 quid (still having to pinch myself) like **** am I going to sell it.

Sorry I read your original post wrong, I thought you were telling her to sell it.

Long day. As you were.
sendô

Postby Etonhammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Owned a few Epiphones over the years and can't fault them, especially when you see some of the build quality of new Gibsons and the price comparison.

A friend of mine brought a Gibson LP Junior (I know ???) and a lot of the frets weren't set propoerly and the general overall quality was poor. When he complained, the official response from Gibson was that as it was a 'hand built' guitar he should expect some variation in build quality :thdn:
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby stuboy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm

stuboy wrote:Should have been reversing.

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Along the A13?

Cock.

:lol:
stuboy

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:recently had an early 90s rg550 done up and it feels as good as any JEM i've ever played.

I used to own an early 90s RG770 (Japanese made) and it was a nice guitar. It was my first (and last) full floating Floyd Rose equipped guitar. It was great for solos and the like but the palarva of the string changing just put me right off. The paint chipped really easily too which apparently was a flaw in all the RG series guitar. The sound was amazing from it as it contained DiMarzio pickups and if they'd have done a hard-tail version I'd have snapped one up. Sadly, I've not really bought any more Ibanez guitars and to be honest, I wasn't impressed with any of their basses.

Etonhammer wrote:Owned a few Epiphones over the years and can't fault them, especially when you see some of the build quality of new Gibsons and the price comparison.

A friend of mine brought a Gibson LP Junior (I know ???) and a lot of the frets weren't set propoerly and the general overall quality was poor. When he complained, the official response from Gibson was that as it was a 'hand built' guitar he should expect some variation in build quality :thdn:

Ephiphone Japan were produced in the lat3 80s and early 90s and some are still produced today. They are amazing quality guitars and the quality control is second to none. I'd put these over anything Gibson make nowadays. Gibson's quality control really is hit and miss, which, for a company charging what it does for it's instruments is disgusting. I've owned 2 Gibson SGs, a Gibson Faded Flying V and a Les Paul Studio. I'd never buy Gibson again. All were bought secondhand but contained flaws which came straight from the factory - poorly finished or non-functioning hardware, flaws in the finish and really poor fret work.

pablo jaye wrote:GCRO - cheers for the recommendations of Burny and Greco - I am looking out for a Fender Tele, or Mustang, so will see if I can try some of these out.

Beleive it or not, the Japanese copies by Burny and Greco (as well as Tokai) from the late 70s and 80s were also subject to a cease and desist order from Fender, until they saw the quality of what these companies were turning out and again, contracted them to become "Fender Japan" and produce guitars for the Asian markets. These were exactly the same woods and pickups as that were used on the copies which by now would have aged so it's well worth pickup one up off eBay. The Telecasters and Strats that were produced then really were something special.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby warp on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm

i have an old Arirang stratocaster, korean made, late 70ies early 80ies.
can't find much on line and haven't played it for a while, but it had a pretty good sound.
a guitar maniac i know liked it as well.

any of you know that brand?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

ARIRANG
Instruments previously built in Korea during the early 1980s.
This trademark consists of entry level copies of American designs, and some original designs. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby uptonparkhurst on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm

The "brand" name can be the name that the importer wants on the guitar.
A friend of mine used to be a repair man working out of Ivor Mairants many moons ago and he told me he'd see 2 guitars , same brand name and model that had come from 2 different factories.
Conversely one factory/maker can produce different brand names to order - I think this is the case with CORT guitars.
ARIRANG on Google gives results in German/dutch(?)/italian so maybe not directly imported here?
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I believe Samick make guitars for some quite famous third party names including Squier, Washburn and Epiphone.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Finding out this is really the guitar thread.....
hammerdivone

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug