Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Another driving one this morning, I'm in a side road that joins a busy main road (opposite Frimley hospital for the locals). You can only turn left from this road, there is a traffic island forcing you left and signs telling you this. When you turn left there is a roundabout approx 400 yards down the road if you want to go the other way.

In front of me is a woman with her right hand indicator on, we're sat there for ages as there is a constant stream of traffic from our right. Eventually there is a gap, that you could pull out into quickly if turning left but no, she pulls forward and blocks that lane causing the traffic to brake hard. When someone stops coming from the left, she has to do a five point turn to turn right as the traffic island has been designed to stop you turning right. In what corner of your brain would you think that this was the right thing to do?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

British ****ing Airways! :x
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

hammerdivone wrote:British ****ing Airways! :x
On what grounds? I ask as someone who's just booked flights with them.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

I've flown with them over 100 times in the last year, their Customer Services (oxymoron) shut at 20:00 so if you have any issue after this time you can't call them, and when you do they don't give a f***!

That said todays issue is I'm sitting in Barcelona Airport waiting for the 22:40 flight back to Gatwick (which is bad enough) landing at 23:50 and this is currently 50 minutes delayed. So I will not get home before 02:15 tomorrow at best.

The crew though are some of the best
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

hammerdivone wrote:Gatwick (which is bad enough)
Whats wrong with Gatwick? I try to book all my flights through there if I can.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Not the Airport, Irish, the time. We were supposed to land at 23:50, now it's 00:42

I've been away since last Friday and just want to get home!
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

hammerdivone wrote:I've been away since last Friday and just want to get home!
Hence why I loathe business travel.
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

Ah, got you. And you saved me from writing a lengthy defence of a ****ing airport as well. :lol:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Philosophical Dan wrote:Hence why I loathe business travel.
Unfortunately goes with the job Dan, I've spent more time working abroad in the last 15 months than I have in London, in fact over 80% of my working time has been abroad. It's were the work is
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Dunno how you do it, mate. I suppose, eventually, I'll end up in a job where I spend my life in hotels & airports, but I'm putting it off for as long as I can. I prefer the routine of working at a desk - the work's varied, but the location stays the same. I just can't establish any pattern or structure to my life when I'm travelling a lot.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

I had a period over the last few months where I was spending most of the week, most weeks, away various places either abroad or oop tnorth. Not for me, I dont know how people do it.

Rolling out of bed down to a ready made breakfast and having a short punt to work was fine, but staying in hotels, being away from home all week and the lengthy travel (especially planes) was a total bollock ache.

Alright on occasion as a novelty but not all the time.
kesh

Post by kesh »

First day on a 'flexibility' / job sharing exercise we are to do from now on to retain certain skills in another area. We do this every 6 weeks. I'm basically a part-timer, i can do the job if everything is fine and know how to fix certain problems on this machine due to been on these machines in the past.

Anyway's, first day and i'm on with a new lad who's training up to eventually run this machine. He knows how to run it less then me, his new, there was no overtime cover on this particular day and planning had randomly changed something on a defective pattern (that there was no need for them to do and it's getting changed back) which lead to the machine blowing up.

The previous shift had left a big backlog behind us and we were close to shutting a machine that costs £22,000 per hour for every hour it's off. Lets call the new lad Jeff, Jeff panicked, in typical fashion the machine after this started doing random things it's not meant to and Jeff couldn't simply ask his normal partner (who used to run it but became the assistant due to stress) to figure it out. I put out a few fires here and there and limited my bait to 25 minutes so Jeff wasn't on his own for too long. At one point we were 10-15 minutes form shutting the £22,000 per hour machine. So from 13:30 to around 18:00 i'd been on my feet, on the go constantly, the shift leader said that if no overtimer is out next time stay in your normal position (i hadn't been on this machine for around 18 months) and was virtually doing the lot while Jeff kept muttering "i hate this".

So this is where the little thing that irritated me comes in, boiled my piss, I've been running this on my own till he comes back from bait, there's a little niggly thing that keeps going wrong that we can't fix because it would shut £22,000 machine. Jeff finally arrives back from bait, the machine is finally running well and we're safe and catching up nicely, i sit down and put my feet up finally, after four n-a-half hours of dripping sweat and suddenly the new Head of Engineering appears in front of the cabin. His a Saffa and should be on days anyway. He see's the backlog, comes in and asks me directly (remember im the assistant doing the horse work while Jeff is supposed to be in the pilots seat) "is there a problem?" I just assume, as he's HoE that his referring to the niggly issue and he maybe knew something about that. I didn't. I was just mucking through it. "why didn't you tell the shift leader? he was down here a minute ago? where is he anyway?", "Er..up stairs." I'm assuming his assuming that this niggly issue had made us drop so far behind, it hadn't even slowed us down.

Two minutes later he comes down, "the shift leader doesn't know about this issue, you've just been sitting there with your feet-up type of attitude and nearly shut the £22,000 per hour machine."

At this point our machine was about to finish it's process, which it does every two minutes, i'd literally just sat down for two minutes.

"What has that to do with anything?!", "Oh, like that is it, whats your name?", "Steven Segal", "Ok Steven, will be seeing you" and then he walks off like he was Ming the Merciless to go and sit in his office, the fat c-word. Not the only time i've had these random run in's with middle management types, must be my face.
china hammer

Post by china hammer »

Yes, I can confirm this. I travel to Shanghai every month with BA, the crew are great. In 2 years I have only been delayed for a few hours. I think Heathrow terminal 5 is great compared with other airports around the world.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Central heating was all f*cked last night. Hot water & heating both switched off, but the boiler was still running and the radiators were kicking out heat.

Took a look this morning & diagnosed it was a knackered motor on the actuator that switches the valve on & off, but went ahead & got British Gas round to sort it. Bloke confirmed my diagnosis and has now fixed it, but could've just done it myself. Several hundred quid down the p*sser, but at least I'm covered for the next 12 months.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

kesh wrote:bait
Am I missing something here? Is "bait" meant to be break?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

(Every single ad break for the last three months)

"More power?"

"More power?"

"Mo Farah?"
kesh

Post by kesh »

sendô wrote: Am I missing something here? Is "bait" meant to be break?

The statutorily break is called bait, yea. Is that not normal? Era throw back.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

kesh wrote:The statutorily break is called bait, yea. Is that not normal? Era throw back.
I'm 50 and have never heard that before!

Anyway, Septic golf crowds when they shout 'Koooooooootch' and it sounds like they are booing
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Tailgaters - for f***'s sake. Just don't do it. Its dangerous. If some bellend is hogging a lane, hang back and give them a flash, don't get right up their arse and just wait for them to pull over. Saw some complete and utter bellend in an Audi nearly take out a mini yesterday on the M20 because he was an impatient little **** who didn't know how to drive.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Same as luuuuuuke HD.

Me, and my now inability to handle a major session and spicy food on a Sat night. Lost yesterday to feeling like ****, woke up this morning and my guts feel like they are going to drop out, don't even get me started on the smells I am creating, that's when I am brave enough to actually expel air!

Got the boys golf trip next week so my guts and lack of sleep is gonna rock! getting old........meh.......