Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by -DL- »

A common one we get is on designated bus stands and turning points. Vehicles parked in them on double yellows, and we can't get round, so we sit and block the road until they've moved.

Thankfully, majority of them monitored by camera and the drivers ultimately get a fine in the post.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Funnily enough, I was sat in a Costa yesterday morning on a narrow sidestreet where a lorry got stuck rounding a corner because some throbber in a van had parked up on a yellow line and buggered off for half an hour.

It was amusing enough as a bystander but I'm sure less humourous for the people stuck behind the lorry.

Throbber? I’m nicking that.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

-DL- wrote:^^^^ Get this issue every day at work. Beckenham and Penge High Streets are the worst. People just parking where the hell they like, both sides of the road and a parking warden not seen for love nor money, and nobody with an ounce of sense prepared to let a 40ft rigid vehicle through...
Hey DL you should follow the lead of the Swindon bus drivers

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/10/26/b ... ccounter=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Being told I'm being TUPED to another company following the loss of a route.

It's actually not such a bad thing, but I wanted to leave on my terms, and that's what's irritated me!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

-DL- wrote:Being told I'm being TUPED to another company following the loss of a route.

It's actually not such a bad thing, but I wanted to leave on my terms, and that's what's irritated me!
Recent experience of TUPE, if you want to PM me with any questions. Can't guarantee I can help, but happy to share info if you're interested.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

-DL- wrote:Being told I'm being TUPED to another company following the loss of a route.

Does this effect your pension?
Pensions are not covered by TUPE. Its why a lot of big companies with heavy pension commitments use TUPE.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Unwrapping a brand new electric guitar to find some twat has packed it in all the cushioning, triple boxes etc with the head stock completely snapped off.

And I can only get a refund as it's gone up 150 quid in price. Headbanger
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

DasNutNock wrote: Recent experience of TUPE, if you want to PM me with any questions. Can't guarantee I can help, but happy to share info if you're interested.
I've been on the other side of the counter until recently, and I've dealt with TUPE with drivers when they've had to go with their routes, but cheers for the offer :thup:
mushy wrote: Does this effect your pension?
Pensions are not covered by TUPE. Its why a lot of big companies with heavy pension commitments use TUPE.
I've not been there long enough for it to have too much of an effect on my pension anyway, but some of the drivers with long service that also have to go are spitting feathers because they can't take it with them.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Thats about right DL.
Make sure that they freeze what they have and are not tempted to opt into some hare brained scheme thats probably not legal these days anyway.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

The old LTE pension which is now under TfL is mint, do not allow any shyster anywhere near it.

Things that irritate me at the moment? After sneezes. You say "bless you"' to someone after they have had a sneeze up, but then they go on to have another one, totally uncalled for and embarrassing for all concerned......
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

people who go to weddings/ functions and drink themselves senseless , embarrassing themselves in the process
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

chigwells finest wrote:people who go to weddings/ functions and drink themselves senseless , embarrassing themselves in the process
Couple weddings ago, a colleague's second wedding in about 4 years, quite a few people from work there. Including one bloke who had a real reputation for absolutely losing his sh*t after a few jars. By lunchtime, he was clearly sozzled and started grabbing anyone he could for a "dance" (including other blokes), whilst his girlfriend gave him a side eye from her seat. By 7pm he was openly sobbing in front of me about some piddling work matter, long forgotten. By 9pm he was asleep on his girlfriend's lap. The f*cking bell-end.

My wife is also bloody awful at weddings, insisting on hitting the red wine early, despite her notorious inability to tolerate alcohol. Lost count of the number of weddings she's ruined by getting plastered and aggressive, only to be full of remorse the following day. The only wedding I can recall her not going nuts was ours - possibly because she was 2 months pregnant and not drinking.

I don't think there's much wrong with getting drunk now and then, but not if you're a two-can Van Damme.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Amazon leaving parcels in our unsecured, openly-accessible doorway, marking items as "handed to resident". Cheeky tw*ts.
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

On my way to motorcycle live at the nec this morning. I made it 200 yards from my house before a little old lady pulled straight out in front of me causing me to avoid, skid, and put the bike down
Not much damage to bike as I have some sliders on it - bent clutch lever, scrapped engine cover.

She just waved and drove off. Couple of other cars stopped and picked bike up for me.

I was alright at the time, protection all seemed to do its job, but my hip really hurts now,no marks just really swollen, stiff and painful.
50 year old body not what it was.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

GP surgery.

Missus made 103 attempts to ring this morning at 8 sharp to get an appointment. Didn't get through once.

The system is a joke.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

smuts wrote:Unwrapping a brand new electric guitar to find some twat has packed it in all the cushioning, triple boxes etc with the head stock completely snapped off.

Is it a Gibson by any chance? They're notorious for snapping headstocks.
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

sendô wrote:GP surgery.

Missus made 103 attempts to ring this morning at 8 sharp to get an appointment. Didn't get through once.

The system is a joke.
I take it they don't have patient access set up? For my place it used to be a joke too, but since they implemented the online portal I can book in with ease these days. Mind you I do only have to go once a blue moon.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The baby had tonsillitis a few weeks back. His temperature went above 40C and we had to take him to A&E. They gave him antibiotics but they didn't seem to be doing much, so rather than go back to A&E she phoned the GP surgery. She got through to one of the rude nazis on reception, and was told bluntly there were no appointments, there was nothing they could do, and to call back tomorrow or go to A&E - this for a 10 month old baby running a temperature of 40C that a GP could see in 10 minutes.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

My old doctor had a first come first served approach. His saying was that "..as illness never made an appointment, neither should his patients"

Worked really well, though there were always a bit of a wait
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

smuts wrote:Unwrapping a brand new electric guitar to find some twat has packed it in all the cushioning, triple boxes etc with the head stock completely snapped off.

Some years ago a friend was buying a Les Paul for his son and I warned him never to leave it leaning against a wall, as it will fall over and it will snap the headstock. It's what Gibsons do. I went as far as telling him that if it happens, don't try to repair it just take it straight to a guitar shop, telling him they're well used to dealing with it and will have the correct clamps.

Six weeks later he told me he took my advice and didn't try to repair it himself...