Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Monkeybubbles »

We bought our house because it's got a large-ish garden (by city centre standards) and the ever fragrant Mrs Monkeybubbles quite enjoys a bit of gardening.

In fact, she enjoys it so much that she gave up her relatively well paid job to retrain as a gardener a few years back, and now has a couple of long term gigs at some proper big spreads. Fine, if she's happy, I'm happy.

Trouble is, she's gardened out when she gets home and somehow our garden has become my garden. There are creatures I don't like out there. Plants that I don't know are plants, and weeds that I don't know are weeds. **** that shizzle.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

That my 9-year old doesn’t know her times tables. That my 39-year old wife doesn’t know them either, which is presumably why she doesn’t appear to think it’s an issue. She got a B for high school maths - how on Earth was she able to do that?
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Calculator. ( now allowed in school exams far less than 20-30 years ago.)
My eldest (19) went to a different primary school than the other 2, and her arithmetic is at best OK.Her younger brother and sister went to a different state primary that spent a good deal of time on the subject and theirs is outstanding.It's like riding a bike once you've got it....
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Kumon was the best thing we did for the kids in relation to providing a grounding in maths

It's a bit of a slog but I believe worth it
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

She has now been crying for over 3 hours because I made her copy out the full 12 tables three times. Just told her she’ll be doing this daily until she learns them.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

DasNutNock wrote:That my 9-year old doesn’t know her times tables. That my 39-year old wife doesn’t know them either, which is presumably why she doesn’t appear to think it’s an issue. She got a B for high school maths - how on Earth was she able to do that?
I was helping a friend of a friend's kid with her maths (she was 14 or 15,iirc).
We worked through an algebra problem and got to the end: 13y = 39.
I said "So "y" is?"
She said "I dunno, I don't know my "13 times" table".
The same friend's own kid couldn't divide by 12 without a calculator and had no clue about commutation
- yet she's a bright kid,off to Uni.It seems to me they learn how to get the answer (memorise equations,etc) without understanding what they are doing.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

uptonparkhurst wrote:.....had no clue about commutation
To be fair, I had to Google it and I'm an engineer.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I thought it was a typo..
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Crawling all the way from the M20 all the way to the tunnel. Get Essex side and there's f*** all traffic. I thought that removing the tolls was suppose to speed things up.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

DasNutNock wrote:That my 9-year old doesn’t know her times tables. That my 39-year old wife doesn’t know them either, which is presumably why she doesn’t appear to think it’s an issue. She got a B for high school maths - how on Earth was she able to do that?
Set her a challenge mate. They're bloody easy to memorise.

Then once she's got it you can teach your daughter.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

:lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

RichieRiv wrote:Crawling all the way from the M20 all the way to the tunnel. Get Essex side and there's **** all traffic. I thought that removing the tolls was suppose to speed things up.
That new crossing can't come quick enough. I absolutely dread trying to head northbound on the M20 or M2. Sod doing that every day for work as I know a few people who do. It's soul destroying, not to mention expensive.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Dirty humidity today. It can f*** off.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

S-H wrote:Farmers! Driving their shitty tractors on main roads where it's impossible to overtake.

I'm sure it fills their pitiful lives with such joy, to have miles of tail backs in their rearview mirrors.

Thundercunts!
I'm pretty sure that legally they are supposed to pull over occasionally to let the line of traffic pass. And yes, they are a selfish pain in the 'arris
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

It's the cyclists that cause the traffic jams in my neck of the woods, on one road in particular. The pavement of this road has been designated as a cycle track and most cyclists use it but the middle-aged men in lycra brigade refuse to use it, preferring to clog up the road. It is one of those roads that winds along and there are few places to overtake without endangering yourself or them. I have actually cycled along this road myself, before I realised the path was a cycle track, and it is a horrible place to ride along. I know these cyclists know that the path is a cycle track as they are the same people that block up the road everyday.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

As a MAMIL cyclists who generally avoids cycle paths, I can honestly say that 99% of cycle paths are both wildly unpleasant to ride on and more dangerous than riding on the roads*, which incidentally we have as much right to use as the car drivers. Courteous shared use runs both ways, and the cyclists should shared the road to avoid delaying the cars too much, but that courteous shared use cuts both ways.

Credit where it's due to the likes of the "cycle superhighways" around London, which are fantastic, but all the rest suck donkey balls.

(*I'm happy to rant at length on why this is the case, if you want chapter and verse. Or even if you don't)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I ride to work, and only do so because 95% of that commute is on segregated, off-road dual-use (cycle & pedestrian) pathways. No way would i risk riding on the road - not when everyone's staring at their phone instead of watching the road.

With respect, antisocial cycling is highly annoying, but rarely dangerous. Antisocial driving destroys lives.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

DasNutNock wrote:With respect, antisocial cycling is highly annoying, but rarely dangerous.
not to cars it isn't. it is to pedestrians though.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

warp wrote:not to cars it isn't. it is to pedestrians though.
You think cyclists riding on the road present a frequent danger to pedestrian safety?

EDIT - I suppose they do, going by the decision made by that magistrate the other day.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

DasNutNock wrote:You think cyclists riding on the road present a frequent danger to pedestrian safety?
not much.
those passing from road to pavement like it's nothing and whenever they feel like, on the other hand...