Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by DasNutNock »

delbert wrote:"I'm not being funny but" is another annoying one. Although to be fair they are usually correct, they wasn't funny.........
A more self-evident statement could not exist.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

"No offence, but..." normally proceeded by a ****ing off.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

"Can I ask a question?"

:?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Remote servers.

6 hours of work lost after it crashed.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

fjthegrey wrote:Remote servers.

6 hours of work lost after it crashed.
Saving stuff on the server? I constantly have to lecture people that a nonpersistent VDI session isn't a good place to save stuff - just like it says on the disclaimer when they connect. I'm usually sympathetic to the regular users that experience data loss that way, but anyone with "Senior" prefixing their IT job title (i.e. everyone my company employs in an IT position) gets no sympathy.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

We are reprimanded for not doing everything on our server. Things save, when you save them. When they crash, they rarely seem to. And they've been crashing a lot recently.

It cannot continue.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We are told to save everything to the server.

I normally copy things across to the servers every week or two instead,
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

everything. im having a poor day
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

When people speak, it always amuses me (more than irritating me) when they talk a few decibels louder, and with a slightly stern look, as if the volume and expression makes them right/better than others.

Also was in a meeting today with a Doris who kept on cutting into every other sentence
with 'yes yes yes' .... that was irritating.

And before you ask, no pics of her saying 'yes yes yes' ..... miserable and sour faced are all the words you need to create a mental image!!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

pablo jaye wrote:When people speak, it always amuses me (more than irritating me) when they talk a few decibels louder, and with a slightly stern look, as if the volume and expression makes them right/better than others.
what pisses me off is that it works!
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

pablo jaye wrote:When people speak, it always amuses me (more than irritating me) when they talk a few decibels louder, and with a slightly stern look, as if the volume and expression makes them right/better than others.

Also was in a meeting today with a Doris who kept on cutting into every other sentence

And before you ask, no pics of her saying 'yes yes yes' ..... miserable and sour faced are all the words you need to create a mental image!!
Stop talking when that happens and when asked why, reply with "you obviously know it already".
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

fjthegrey wrote:We are reprimanded for not doing everything on our server. Things save, when you save them. When they crash, they rarely seem to. And they've been crashing a lot recently.

It cannot continue.
Microsoft recently changed the way that patches are done
It has caught out a few sys admins, some systems appear to crash if the required reboots are not performed

Just a guess of course
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Rocketron wrote:Stop talking when that happens and when asked why, reply with "you obviously know it already".
Yes, good idea, cheers - I had also toyed with the idea of talking complete mumbo jumbo as I am pretty certain that she is not listening when she is saying it.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

fjthegrey wrote:We are reprimanded for not doing everything on our server. Things save, when you save them. When they crash, they rarely seem to. And they've been crashing a lot recently.

It cannot continue.
In our company we were still running XP on desktops until around November. We only stopped because the last year we paid Microsoft 500K to continue to support it for us and this year they wanted 1M.

We have moved to a 'virtual' desktop with one half still running XP for legacy systems and a newer version of Windows for our newer systems and IE based applications.

The servers are s**t and crash almost daily, with so much working time lost due to it. Apologies for going off topic but what is the benefit of these virtual desktops over paying for the licences for the desktops (will be around 6k employees); I'm assuming it is basically the cost?.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Job interviews

Phone interviews, job interviews, rejection, I hate the bloody lot of it.

Additional stress I could do without at the moment.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

FreeWheeling wrote:Microsoft recently changed the way that patches are done
It has caught out a few sys admins, some systems appear to crash if the required reboots are not performed

Just a guess of course
Years ago we used to have regular problems with Windows Updates causing our Java apps to crash. They'd be downloaded automatically and wait in the system tray to be installed. While they were sitting there, they'd do something catastropic to our apps which would cause them to crash. The only way to fix it would be to install the updates. It was infuriating and in the end we resorted to manual download as Microsoft washed their hands of the problem.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:The servers are s**t and crash almost daily, with so much working time lost due to it. Apologies for going off topic but what is the benefit of these virtual desktops over paying for the licences for the desktops (will be around 6k employees); I'm assuming it is basically the cost?.
Cost & convenience. Patching, maintaining and upgrading individual laptops is difficult and expensive. Virtualizing them in a datacenter means that everything's in one place, and much easier for sysadmins to keep on top of stuff. It's, pound-for-pound, a lot cheaper and you can more efficiently share resources among VMs. If all the processing and heavy-lifting is happening server-side, you don't need to upgrade everyone's laptop every 3 years, you just buy more storage, RAM or other shared resources.

That said, virtualizing XP is probably a bit more unreliable than one of the more modern Desktop OS's.

The main drawback, as you're probably experiencing, is that you usually need a very robust connection between your workstation and the DC. There's lots of ways of getting a Virtual Desktop to you, some better than others, some more expensive than others. But not much of that matters if you don't have a good link between client and server. Some VD software reacts very badly to an intermittent connection, some is better and will allow you to reconnect when the network is restored.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Job interviews

Phone interviews, job interviews, rejection, I hate the bloody lot of it.

Additional stress I could do without at the moment.
Phone interviews are complete ****. If you can't be bothered to talk to me face to face then I can't be bothered with working for you.
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

with 'yes yes yes'
.... that was irritating.

"Positive Listening". Total bollox. I just stop talking when they do that then ask what they wanted to say. Some of them don't realise they are doing it.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Cheers DasNutNock, appreciate the response :thup:

The connectivity is the main issue but it tries to auto reconnect but gives a 5min countdown until it tries it, rendering the whole system useless.

Doesn't help my company have also laid off almost all the IT contractors!