Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by DasNutNock »

Cheers everyone. I had a better night's kip last night, and didn't get in at 6am today, so I'm feeling a bit more positive, but I'm still exhausted and really need to get some proper food in me.

Wife & kids have gone to the beach today, so hopefully they're having fun and not worrying about absent dad.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

DasNutNock wrote:Cheers everyone. I had a better night's kip last night, and didn't get in at 6am today, so I'm feeling a bit more positive, but I'm still exhausted and really need to get some proper food in me.

Wife & kids have gone to the beach today, so hopefully they're having fun and not worrying about absent dad.

Get that BBQ ready for when then get back, have a few ciders and relax, mate :thup:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

DasNutNock wrote:Cheers everyone. I had a better night's kip last night, and didn't get in at 6am today, so I'm feeling a bit more positive, but I'm still exhausted and really need to get some proper food in me.

Hang on in there Dan; it does get easier. I'm assuming when her maternity leave is up Mrs. DasNutNock is going back to work in some capacity. If so, that will ease the burden.

My ex reeled me in good and proper. "Our" plan was that when Eggs Jnr. 2 was at full time school, she would find a job that fitted in with the kids. "Her" plan (which she didn't let me in on) was a bit different. She never really had any intention of going back and numb nuts here was working up to seven days a week to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. It took a while, but we did get through it. She finally got a job when we split up (about 8 years ago).
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Neighbours arguing in the street airing there dirty laundry, had to go out yesterday and ask 2 to be quiet they where fighting over a parking space, there was loads available we have 2 and we dont even drive but this was closer to there house, i just said take ours for christ sake and go to bed. :lol: plenty more going on in the world than arguing about something so trivial
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:Hang on in there Dan; it does get easier. I'm assuming when her maternity leave is up Mrs. DasNutNock is going back to work in some capacity. If so, that will ease the burden.

My ex reeled me in good and proper. "Our" plan was that when Eggs Jnr. 2 was at full time school, she would find a job that fitted in with the kids. "Her" plan (which she didn't let me in on) was a bit different. She never really had any intention of going back and numb nuts here was working up to seven days a week to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. It took a while, but we did get through it. She finally got a job when we split up (about 8 years ago).
Yeah, she'll be going back to work - part-time at a nursery she used to manage. She'll be taking our youngest with her, she has a free place, which we also had last time, when she was a full-time manager. This time round, though, she can drive, which makes a huge difference to convenience etc. So things *will* settle down once she's back to work and we get into a bit of a rhythm.

Just feels bad that we're so broke now, on top of working like a mad b*stard to fix this issue. We'll be off to france with her parents in a couple weeks, and it won't feel great to have to tell them we won't be able to join them for breakfast, lunch and dinner out (they appear to believe is central to a good holiday) because we're skint.
Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

DasNutNock wrote:Yeah, she'll be going back to work - part-time at a nursery she used to manage. She'll be taking our youngest with her, she has a free place, which we also had last time, when she was a full-time manager. This time round, though, she can drive, which makes a huge difference to convenience etc. So things *will* settle down once she's back to work and we get into a bit of a rhythm.

Just feels bad that we're so broke now, on top of working like a mad b*stard to fix this issue. We'll be off to france with her parents in a couple weeks, and it won't feel great to have to tell them we won't be able to join them for breakfast, lunch and dinner out (they appear to believe is central to a good holiday) because we're skint.
Good news you've got a missus who's happy to go back to work. Regarding the holiday, take the positives; you're going away! As far as eating out, I'm sure if you're up front from the off, they'll stand you a bit of scram here and there.

Like I said before, it does get easier. You sound like a bloke who's not scared to put in a shift and you'll be looking back on this in a few years time with a contented smile on your face.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:Good news you've got a missus who's happy to go back to work. Regarding the holiday, take the positives; you're going away! As far as eating out, I'm sure if you're up front from the off, they'll stand you a bit of scram here and there.

Like I said before, it does get easier. You sound like a bloke who's not scared to put in a shift and you'll be looking back on this in a few years time with a contented smile on your face.
Agreed, the wife working, even part-time, makes a huge difference to our finances. Makes like quite tough in terms of school runs, before-school clubs, and baby drop-off/pick ups etc. but hopefully it's worth it.

Maybe when DNN jr #2 starts school for proper we can think about going back to a single income (and, hopefully, moving far, far away from bloody Weybridge).

As for looking back in a few years, perhaps I will. The problem with working in IT is that everyone's expectations are perfection all day, every day, and any divergence from that is met with howls of complaints. I guess it's understandable, but it doesn't make my job any easier, nor does it make it particularly satisfying when perfection is the expectation, despite it being near-enough impossible to achieve.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

That being said, I always said to myself I do what I do for the money, not the job satisfaction, and so long as I'm not unhappy to go to work every day, that'd be more than enough. Just times like this when I'm trying to single-handedly address a problem affecting a platform that is used by people round the world 24/7/365, feels like there's absolutely no respite available.

Which means I ought to have a word with my boss and see about finding someone else to help me!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Dan,

No wonder your'e having to pull 16 hour shifts. You spend all day on here mate. :wink:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:Dan,

No wonder your'e having to pull 16 hour shifts. You spend all day on here mate. :wink:
Hmm. There is that, I guess.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

DasNutNock wrote:
Hmm. There is that, I guess.
lols,

Chin up mate. Don't let things get you down, life's too short. :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I'd argue that the nature of IT, where you're constantly waiting a few seconds, or minutes, for things to complete leads to lots of micro-breaks where there's no time to start working on something else, but just enough time to have a quick read of KUMB.

I don't wish to consider the counter-argument, no matter what its merits may be.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

DasNutNock wrote:
I don't wish to consider the counter-argument, no matter what its merits may be.
try turning it off, then back on again. Works most times..
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

^ Wipe your knob across the screen.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

DasNutNock wrote:
[/quote]

That's becoming my outlook on life too. !
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Locked bogroll-dispensers and trying to find the start. It's like some Japanese 'Endurance' game-show challenge. :evil:
Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

vietnammer wrote:Locked bogroll-dispensers and trying to find the start. It's like some Japanese 'Endurance' game-show challenge. :evil:
At least it's there after you've snapped one off! The worst one is if you've dived in a public toilet, turned one out, only to realise there's no paper at all.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Having to come into work on a Saturday - even worse when I'm only really here because I have to manage the workers on site and said workers haven't turned in. Headbanger
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

sendô wrote:Having to come into work on a Saturday
I've just got in from driving up to Grantham and back to plug something in due to onsite IT being empty uniforms.

230 mile round trip for 5 minutes worth of work.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

southbrishammer wrote:
I'd love to see how much they have spent in engineers' time so far against what it would have cost to just replace it first time.
I had an air-con/climate control issue a few years ago with my Scenic. It wouldn't blow cold despite the AC light on. Got it all checked, was fully gassed, and there was no visible reason as to why it wouldn't turn on.

It turns out that there was a glitch in the car's computer which was telling the car that it was a model without air con. A re-programme and it was all sorted.