Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by vietnammer »

Arab teachers passing every one of their students cos it looks good. At my appraisal I will have to explain why some of mine failed.
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote:
Doesn't that make it dangerous when actually reversing into the drive.
Whilst all reversing manoeuvres carry some degree of danger, what's going on on your drive is far more predictable than a public highway.

For example, you know you won't have an unlicensed, uninsured twat speeding on a motorcycle on your drive.

This is NOT a black or white issue and there are many factors to be considered, but generally speaking, reversing in and driving out is considered to be the less dangerous of the two manoeuvres.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Algarve Hammer wrote:This is NOT a black or white issue and there are many factors to be considered, but generally speaking, reversing in and driving out is considered to be the less dangerous of the two manoeuvres.
You're right it's not black or white. For example when I to reverse into my drive, I would have to use the opposite side of the road, that is on the apex of a bend.

Next door had 2 cars written off last year when a reckless herbert whilst looking at his phone failed to turn the steering wheel and when straight through their driveway bouncing off one car and onto another. 6 foot to the right and it would have been my motor.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

delbert wrote:The infestation of rectum heads who think it's cool or edgy to run around on CoD with "IRA" as a clan tag. Even on the older games you occasionally came across one or two of them, but there's loads on there now.
If they were that well educated or proper Irish Nationalists then they'd have a "P" in front of the "IRA" bit, or even go for the less well known INLA, because of that I suspect they're young Corbynites on a wind up,
In which case, they've succeeded, even more so because my ageing reactions mean they usually rinse me as well....... !!
I would have taken comfort in the fact they're supporting a lost cause.

Then I remembered I'm a West Ham supporter :cry:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Having a new windscreen fitted last week only for it to get hit by a stone from the opposite carriageway and now needs replacing again. :thdn:
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

delbert wrote:The infestation of rectum heads who think it's cool or edgy to run around on CoD with "IRA" as a clan tag. Even on the older games you occasionally came across one or two of them, but there's loads on there now.
If they were that well educated or proper Irish Nationalists then they'd have a "P" in front of the "IRA" bit, or even go for the less well known INLA, because of that I suspect they're young Corbynites on a wind up,
In which case, they've succeeded, even more so because my ageing reactions mean they usually rinse me as well....... !!
What if they are only allowed to use three characters?

Or if they are active supporters of the International Rabbit Association?

One should not assume.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The wife just (trying) to piss over my chips.

'I've just got another guitar. Fender Strat for £40'

'But you've already got two, plus an acoustic. What do you want another one for?'

'Because it's a Fender for £40'.

'I don't care what it is. Why do you need three guitars?'

'I don't, but it was bargain I couldn't resist'.

'How much is it worth then?'

'Few hundred quid'

'So you going to sell it and put the money away for the holiday?'

'No, I'm keeping it'

'You selling one of your others then?'

'No'

'So why do you need three?'

:|
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The January transfer thread.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I make her right DL, a Fender Stratocaster for £40 if in good nick is a proper bargain. My parents bought my brother one best part of 20 years ago for something like £600.
prophet:marginal
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

-DL- wrote:
'You selling one of your others then?'

'No'

'So why do you need three?'

:|
That's just one person against the other.

Try the tag-team nonsense I get of the missus and two teenagers, about yet another pair of trainers being bought.

I swear they've got about 12 pairs between them.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote:I make her right DL, a Fender Stratocaster for £40 if in good nick is a proper bargain. My parents bought my brother one best part of 20 years ago for something like £600.
Can get them new for around 550. I play guitar, and although it's never been top if the shopping list, I've always quite fancied a Strat.

I'd never pay full price for one, but a once in a lifetime chance of one for 40 quid (still having to pinch myself) like f*** am I going to sell it.

Like f*** am I going to sell the Les Paul I bought last year.

Like f*** am I going to sell the Tokai SG I got for my 40th.

Each one sounds totally different from the other.

I go to work and do crap hours to pay for holidays and the nicer things in life.

I deserve this!

Not selling :D
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I've never owned an electric guitar. I've had several acoustics (including a lovely Simon & Patrick I was bought 13 years ago), a semi-acoustic for gigs, and a cheap P-bass, but I've still never owned a fully electric 6-string guitar. Pretty tragic, given that I've been playing guitars one way or another for over 25 years.

That said, if I can get one at a good price, I quite fancy getting a Fender Tele this year. I'd like a Les Paul Standard, but can't justify the spends.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Having a new windscreen fitted last week only for it to get hit by a stone from the opposite carriageway and now needs replacing again. :thdn:
Reminds me of the time I had my Mini's bonnet resprayed. I had a '91 Cooper (the last of the carburettor models) and the bonnet was chipped to blazes. The previous owner had jet-washed the bloody thing too which had lifted off the varnish and it looked horrible.
I took it in for a respray, as a birthday present to myself, went to pick it up and was driving it back from the paint shop with it looking superbly shiny and new.
With about 2 miles of the journey home completed, I passed a lorry going the other way. This lorry had evidently just left a construction site or a quarry and just before our paths crossed, a small boulder dislodged itself from some nook or cranny of the behemoth. It shot high in the air, the sun glinting off its many sharp edges as it continued its inevitable trajectory in Matrix-like slow-mo towards the middle of my newly resprayed bonnet.
PING!
A one inch long gouge down to the bare metal slap bang in the centre of it within 10 minutes of picking it up.
I was more than slightly miffed.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Reminds me of the time I had my Mini's bonnet resprayed. I had a '91 Cooper (the last of the carburettor models) and the bonnet was chipped to blazes. The previous owner had jet-washed the bloody thing too which had lifted off the varnish and it looked horrible.
I took it in for a respray, as a birthday present to myself, went to pick it up and was driving it back from the paint shop with it looking superbly shiny and new.
With about 2 miles of the journey home completed, I passed a lorry going the other way. This lorry had evidently just left a construction site or a quarry and just before our paths crossed, a small boulder dislodged itself from some nook or cranny of the behemoth. It shot high in the air, the sun glinting off its many sharp edges as it continued its inevitable trajectory in Matrix-like slow-mo towards the middle of my newly resprayed bonnet.
PING!
A one inch long gouge down to the bare metal slap bang in the centre of it within 10 minutes of picking it up.
I was more than slightly miffed.
Stuff like that is why I've long given up on trying to own nice things.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Having a new windscreen fitted last week only for it to get hit by a stone from the opposite carriageway and now needs replacing again. :thdn:
Should have been reversing. :wink:
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

:lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

DasNutNock wrote:I'd like a Les Paul Standard, but can't justify the spends.
Get yourself an old Burny, Orville or Greco guitar from the 70s or 80s. (there's loads on eBay). The quality is superb and much better than the stuff Gibson churn out for a fraction of the price. So much so, that Gibson stopped trying to prosecute them for copying their guitars and contracted them to produce Gibson guitars for the Asian market. I owned a white Burny Randy Rhodes copy and the quality was superb and it played better than any Gibson Les Paul I ever played. These companies copied the Gibsons down to the last detail (even down to the number of windings on the pickup coils) and produced superb instruments.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Nice tip, I shall do some digging :thup:
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Got a Dean resonator electric
Can I play it, f*** no
But it looks the dogs on my wall :D

http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998003289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

DasNutNock wrote:I've never owned an electric guitar. I've had several acoustics (including a lovely Simon & Patrick I was bought 13 years ago), a semi-acoustic for gigs, and a cheap P-bass, but I've still never owned a fully electric 6-string guitar. Pretty tragic, given that I've been playing guitars one way or another for over 25 years.

That said, if I can get one at a good price, I quite fancy getting a Fender Tele this year. I'd like a Les Paul Standard, but can't justify the spends.
There are a few I would like to own, but after the kerfuffle I've had the past 24 hours with her still banging on at me, alas spending any decent amount of money on any more guitars may be a bit tricky.

I love the sound of a Tele, and I wouldn't mind a nice Gretzch hollow body. A decent Ibanez bass wouldn't go amiss either. I'd also quite like to get a decent acoustic, because the one I have is pretty **** in all honesty.

I may be able to justify the acoustic tbf, as she likes it when I play acoustic, and I don't play it often enough as I really don't like the cheap and nasty 90 quid Argos jobby that I've had for years.