Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

FreeWheeling wrote:Image
Believe me, you ain't too far off the truth there mate! :shock:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Re-mortgaging, in particular the excruciating pain that is dealing with lawyers.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

giving a f*** about what other people wear :D

they're most probably assholes anyway, whether they dress suits or tracksuit bottoms.

don't be a snob: hate equally.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Re-mortgaging, in particular the excruciating pain that is dealing with lawyers.
Aye? I remortgaged the other day, and I was staggered by how well it went. Admittedly, it was with my existing provider, but my fix wasn't due to end until December, and I wanted another fix before rates crept back up. They gave me a new rate within 20 minutes of phoning them, and even including the inevitable "arrangement fee", I'm saving £80 a month, or roughly 5.5k over the 5 years of the fix. They also let me switch to the new rate immediately, waiving the remaining months of the old fix, but adding them to the new one - so I went from 3.4% to 1.9% for 5 years & 4 months.

Imagine I could have saved another £12 a month or so if I'd gone to a new provider, but I'm not sure I could cope with that much arseache.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Well I made the mistake of waiting until a month before my fix was up, expecting that to be enough time, but between the broker taking ages finding the deal and the lawyers taking an age, instead of dropping from 3.5% to 1.8%, I'm now saddled with a month on the tracker at 4.9%, costing me £200 odd over my original rate.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Well I made the mistake of waiting until a month before my fix was up, expecting that to be enough time, but between the broker taking ages finding the deal and the lawyers taking an age, instead of dropping from 3.5% to 1.8%, I'm now saddled with a month on the tracker at 4.9%, costing me £200 odd over my original rate.
Pain in the barse, and no mistake. Hear stories like this SO often - brokers & lawyers dragging their feet on simple renewals.

In my defence, I've been obsessing over my rate since fixes dropped under 3%, and have been hawkishly bothering Santander to let me agree a new rate for years. Yes, I really am THAT much of a sad b*stard.

I also have a related story that REALLY underscores what a financially petty man I am, but I'm reluctant to discuss it in case I'm accused of bragging or "humble bragging", which really isn't the intention...
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

sendô wrote:Well I made the mistake of waiting until a month before my fix was up, expecting that to be enough time, but between the broker taking ages finding the deal and the lawyers taking an age, instead of dropping from 3.5% to 1.8%, I'm now saddled with a month on the tracker at 4.9%, costing me £200 odd over my original rate.
Exact same happened to me. Had to pay 3 months over the odds, from 2.5% to over 4% which doesn't sound much but when you're on a monthly budget it can take a big whack out of your earnings. Financial adviser was great, it was just the solicitors took so long and we had to ring them every step of the way to get it sorted. Bottom line is, they've got you by the balls and they know it. You're at their mercy.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

'bout 12/13 years to late

But Gwen Stefani and her ****ing Harajuku Girls
sendô

Post by sendô »

They've just emailed me, after me chasing them this morning. "We've now received your mortgage offer". Cheeky back to fronts, I received it on 25/07. Complete 22/08. FML.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Jehovah Witnesses coming down our road today mob handed, knocking on the door despite a polite sign saying no cold callers etc. Why do you think by knocking on my door I'm suddenly going to religious, twatheads?!!

I was so dumbfounded I forgot to tell them to f*** off!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sky and Openreach.

For months we have had terrible noise on the phone line and broadband that keeps dropping. every time Sky check they say the line is fine, well okay but nothing is working so what are you actually testing? Three days later Openreach engineer turns up when the problem isn't occurring and declares nothing wrong (no ****!), but tells me on the QT that there is a problem on the main road but they would need temporary traffic lights, and as it's close to current roadworks they wouldn't get permission.

Almost everyday the broadband drops, today has been a nightmare with it only being up for about 10 minutes at a time at best. Received a text from Openreach saying we've fixed your problem. Broadband speed test shows a download speed of 1.36 Mb/s and upload speed of 6.05 Mb/s and continues to drop :? Err no you haven't. Contacted Sky on their My Sky App at 19:10 as the lines were very busy. Took over an hour to respond, I replied immediately then nothing except for 'Our message service ends at 21:00, please message us tomorrow morning to continue'.

They are getting both barrels over the phone in the morning c****!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

It's not been the best of days!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Went to see Rev Peyton and his Big Dam Band at the Borderline in Charing Cross road and the place has been done up, unfortunately the place stinks of ****. Not sure why but it stinks badly and I had to suffer a few hours of breathing in **** fumes.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Went to see Rev Peyton and his Big Dam Band at the Borderline in Charing Cross road and the place has been done up, unfortunately the place stinks of ****. Not sure why but it stinks badly and I had to suffer a few hours of breathing in **** fumes.
Probably used B&Q paint

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... cat-urine/
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

hammerdivone wrote:Sky and Openreach.

For months we have had terrible noise on the phone line and broadband that keeps dropping. every time Sky check they say the line is fine, well okay but nothing is working so what are you actually testing? Three days later Openreach engineer turns up when the problem isn't occurring and declares nothing wrong (no ****!), but tells me on the QT that there is a problem on the main road but they would need temporary traffic lights, and as it's close to current roadworks they wouldn't get permission.

Almost everyday the broadband drops, today has been a nightmare with it only being up for about 10 minutes at a time at best. Received a text from Openreach saying we've fixed your problem. Broadband speed test shows a download speed of 1.36 Mb/s and upload speed of 6.05 Mb/s and continues to drop :? Err no you haven't. Contacted Sky on their My Sky App at 19:10 as the lines were very busy. Took over an hour to respond, I replied immediately then nothing except for 'Our message service ends at 21:00, please message us tomorrow morning to continue'.

They are getting both barrels over the phone in the morning *****!
Or possibly not?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Not sure why but it stinks badly and I had to suffer a few hours of breathing in **** fumes.
Maybe because you're not allowed to smoke in the venues any more?

Sometime ago, when I was staying in Tallinn lots of basement bars and once smoking was banned they all smelt of p*ss (and not a single ginger in sight).
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

DasNutNock wrote:Or possibly not?
:D on the mobile, and they did. Result, not our problem it's Openreach, you have to wait up to 5 days!

Have already confirmed though I'll get full refund for the last three months it's been ****ed up but given I work from home it's affecting my business as well, that's another conversation to be had!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The "separation" of BT from Openreach is one of the all-time great wheezes.

If you're getting consistent 4G on your phone, and you don't have a super-restrictive limit on data allowance, you could always set up your phone as a wifi hotspot, and use that as a backup link when your BB goes down again?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Nationwide blocking my card per usual once a month, now for buying tickets on Stubhub and a new passport. Absolutely ridiculous, I don't mind them being cautious, it's a joke now. Starting to think I'm on a watch list on something. Might order some nails and explosives and see if I get a knock at the door, I only bleeding use it at Tesco, the odd bet and odd online buy from reputable sites
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

DasNutNock wrote:The "separation" of BT from Openreach is one of the all-time great wheezes.

If you're getting consistent 4G on your phone, and you don't have a super-restrictive limit on data allowance, you could always set up your phone as a wifi hotspot, and use that as a backup link when your BB goes down again?
Good suggestion, but 4G doesn't seem to exist round here in sunny North Hampshire. I've been in the Sahara desert with better signal.

All mobile providers claim we have perfect coverage in the area, but despite there being a phone mast not too far away the signal has always been appealing.

Good news though, the BB speed is now up to 4 Mb/s