Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby DasNutNock on Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Fake Britain on BBC. Showing us lots of footage of local crime squads nicking people for selling knock off DVDs and jewellery, both very high quality. ****ing hell, have they REALLY not got better things to do with their time? Like, you know, going after proper criminals, not people making a few quid for, essentially, a non-crime.

Counterfeit DVDs? Is there really a market for them? Jeez you can download 4k movies using a mobile phone.
DasNutNock

Postby the celestial insect on Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm

DrVenk wrote:Stop and chats on supermarket checkouts. This is at a farcical level now. Chatting with checkout person whilst scanning items...fine. Checkout person stopping and chatting before commencement of scanning items, and then a further stop for chatting after customer has paid up is just not f*cking on. My whole raison d'etre is to get in and out of these bloody post modern gas chambers as quickly as possible but these stops and chats between mostly women of a certain age are denting my soul a little bit every time. And then checkout person goes from smiling with previous customer to a complete blank and rush job on me. Stop and chat, them....blank and rush job, me. Can hardly get the items in the bag quick enough. Why don't I get a stop and chat?

C*nts. Automate every f*cking checkout.

Just interrupt them. I do if it's taking the mickey. Mind you, I did that once and after the customer went, the checkout woman said, 'sorry, he's a family friend and his wife's just died'.
the celestial insect

Postby Harry Hound on Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Fake Britain on BBC. Showing us lots of footage of local crime squads nicking people for selling knock off DVDs and jewellery, both very high quality. ****ing hell, have they REALLY not got better things to do with their time? Like, you know, going after proper criminals, not people making a few quid for, essentially, a non-crime.

Counterfeit DVDs? Is there really a market for them? Jeez you can download 4k movies using a mobile phone.

Couldn't agree more. Police now no longer investigate most residential burglary and therefore it's hardly surprising that the detection rate is less than 4%. What criminally inclined scumbag wouldn't feel emboldened with those odds?
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby DrVenk on Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 pm

the celestial insect wrote:Just interrupt them. I do if it's taking the mickey. Mind you, I did that once and after the customer went, the checkout woman said, 'sorry, he's a family friend and his wife's just died'.

Whoops :)

There was one time when the post payment stop and chat was happening, so I got my phone out to check my messages, and the checkout women told me to put it away as it was rude! WTF!
DrVenk

Postby DrVenk on Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 pm

double post
DrVenk

Postby Harry Hound on Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 pm

DrVenk wrote:There was one time when the post payment stop and chat was happening, so I got my phone out to check my messages, and the checkout women told me to put it away as it was rude! WTF!

:lol:
Harry Hound

Postby DrVenk on Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Even more laughable HH is that I did put it away :oops:
DrVenk

Postby Harry Hound on Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm

DrVenk wrote:Even more laughable HH is that I did put it away :oops:

Never had you down as a "compliant" type.
Harry Hound

Postby DrVenk on Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Ha, interesting how we build up images of other posters' character. Would make a good thread of its own, if done with good spirits.
DrVenk

Postby Samba on Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 am

DrVenk wrote:Why don't I get a stop and chat?

Me too, DrV.
We obviously look like serial killers..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Samba on Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 am

DrVenk wrote:Automate every f*cking checkout.

Ah, won't necessarily, solve the problem.
The other week, queueing for 1 of 6 auto's, little, fat, so & so, was putting his goods through. Unfortunately, all the while, having a deeply fascinating & important, conversation on his blue-tooth ear piece. This meant that the actual task of self scanning his goods was going v e r y, v e r y, v e r y, slowly. And then he had a problem, for a worker to deal with, just to slow progress, even further. But still carried on with his wireless, conversation, whilst casually looking around, instead of getting on with the job & f***ing off.
Why can't some people do ANYTHING without having a mobile clamped to their ear? Are they that lonely?
Is that particular conversation, THAT important?
STOP HOLDING ME UP, YOU UTTER, SELFISH C***S!
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby fmgod on Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 am

DasNutNock wrote:Fake Britain on BBC. Showing us lots of footage of local crime squads nicking people for selling knock off DVDs and jewellery, both very high quality. ****ing hell, have they REALLY not got better things to do with their time? Like, you know, going after proper criminals, not people making a few quid for, essentially, a non-crime.

Agreed the problem isn't DVD's, clothes etc it's when you've got drink, cigarettes, things people consume or put on their skin etc
fmgod

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue May 15, 2018 8:23 am

fmgod wrote:
Agreed the problem isn't DVD's

Not so sure about that.. I've watched a few DVD's that have been harmful to my health..
somerset-hammer

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am

DrVenk wrote:Ha, interesting how we build up images of other posters' character. Would make a good thread of its own, if done with good spirits.

Locked within three posts.

Exactly the sort of idea I'd expect from someone like you.
Monkeybubbles

Postby DrVenk on Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 am

Samba wrote:Ah, won't necessarily, solve the problem...But still carried on with his wireless, conversation, whilst casually looking around, instead of getting on with the job & f***ing off.

F*ck me, the number of aisles blocked by mini-meetings in my local store is ridiculous. "Excuse me - can I get passed?" [Receives glance of annoyance]

I think it's a question of context. The (predominantly) older ladies who do the stop and chat whilst serving are probably holding onto a sense of the local shop/store being part of a community rather than somewhere you dash into. It's social as well as commercial. Same with the dude on his phone - casually doing his shop, mingling the commercial with a bit of social.

I get all that, but these places are NOT designed to hang about in. They are not designed for browsing. They are designed to herd us in, weave us through aisles, maximise our spending, and get us out of the door as quickly as possible. Who wants to hang about in that? Even the lighting does my head in.

I didn't realise how much this bugged me. I think I am just yearning for the old independent grocery stores and bakeries which engendered a more relaxed approach to food shopping and a sense that you are going to make something rather than merely consume something. And you mingle outside these stores. All in all, a less convenient and efficient way to shop, but infinitely more pleasurable.

"Got some lovely fresh radishes and green beans in this morning squire"

"Nah sod that, I'm off to Tescies for a glow in the dark lettuce :thup: "
DrVenk

Postby DrVenk on Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:Locked within three posts.

Exactly the sort of idea I'd expect from someone like you.

Yeah well that's just typical of a narrow-minded so and so like you

:)
DrVenk

Postby chigwells finest on Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

just the amount of people who walk along , fixated to their phone screens , if only i had a mobile harpoon
chigwells finest

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am

chigwells finest wrote:just the amount of people who walk along , fixated to their phone screens , if only i had a mobile harpoon

Even worse is the amount of people that are clearly looking at their phones whilst driving..

You see it all the time, it's shocking.
somerset-hammer

Postby chigwells finest on Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 am

e="somerset-hammer"]
chigwells finest wrote:just the amount of people who walk along , fixated to their phone screens , if only i had a mobile harpoon

Even worse is the amount of people that are clearly looking at their phones whilst driving..

You see it all the time, it's shocking.

agreed , when they have it held below the window line by their thigh , i cant believe more people arent being banned , its an epidemic
chigwells finest

Postby sendô on Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 am

Almost as annoying as people who have their phones out at the dinner table.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug