Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burningaham

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Burningaham »

If you’re in Sainsbury’s car park, isn’t it their business what happens there and not the councils?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Burningaham wrote:If you’re in Sainsbury’s car park, isn’t it their business what happens there and not the councils?
Presumably they’ve got some sort of reciprocal deal going on. Wanton fly-tippers like me are kept away, and the council turns a tidy profit.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Folk on Facebook posting pictures of the massive spiders they've just encountered, then kindly showing a close-up picture of the c### trapped in a glass close-up; invariably though these posts seem to come from people who are claiming to have arachnophobia. I don't even understand the mindset of someone posting a pic of a big spider anyway, bearing in mind the number of us who have an aversion to them, but someone who claims to hate them themselves?

As a pitiful arachnophobe myself, if I see one, it gets twatted. The idea of taking a picture of one (whilst saying they have a phobia about them), then sharing it online to everyone else, knowing how many people hate seeing that... seriously just why?!
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:Winds me up that they do that “pay within 10 days and save 20%!!!” nonsense, too. Bad enough when it’s private clampers, utterly shameless when it’s the council. So petty and opportunistic.
Are you paying it Dan, or fighting it?
I would fight it 100%.
1) You didn't litter deliberately
2) Can they prove that you knew it had blown away?
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by Polaroid »

DasNutNock wrote:But I'm going to waste a pile of their time and resources, and I'm going to enjoy doing it.
Joe Lycett style, "hopefully" :)

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Gkiw7zpULo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Suffering from vertigo, for most of the day yesterday.

Not cool, bro, not cool.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

DasNutNock wrote:Also, where’s the line drawn? I’ve got a pile of stuff I need to get shot of out of the shed - decorating crud, sacks of old tiles, all sorts. If I take it to the tip, they’ll charge me for it (per bag, a nice fair way of calculating the price).
Eh? You get charged for dumping household rubbish at your local tip?

I've been to my local dump so often the last couple of years I'm surprised I'm not on first name terms with the staff. Last summer I cleared out my garage and took 3 full van loads of assorted crap over there, all dumped free of charge.

The reality is, you've already paid to dump all of that stuff in your council tax.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Folk on Facebook posting pictures of the massive spiders they've just encountered, then kindly showing a close-up picture of the c### trapped in a glass close-up; invariably though these posts seem to come from people who are claiming to have arachnophobia. I don't even understand the mindset of someone posting a pic of a big spider anyway, bearing in mind the number of us who have an aversion to them, but someone who claims to hate them themselves?

As a pitiful arachnophobe myself, if I see one, it gets twatted. The idea of taking a picture of one (whilst saying they have a phobia about them), then sharing it online to everyone else, knowing how many people hate seeing that... seriously just why?!
The first three words of this post were enough!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Eh? You get charged for dumping household rubbish at your local tip?

I've been to my local dump so often the last couple of years I'm surprised I'm not on first name terms with the staff. Last summer I cleared out my garage and took 3 full van loads of assorted crap over there, all dumped free of charge.

The reality is, you've already paid to dump all of that stuff in your council tax.
Oh yes. Our £228 a month doesn't include tipping non-green waste at the "recycling" sites near us, including the ones that are now only open 2 days a week. As far as I can tell, it covers emptying our bins as & when they feel like doing it.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

DasNutNock wrote: Also, where’s the line drawn? I’ve got a pile of stuff I need to get shot of out of the shed - decorating crud, sacks of old tiles, all sorts. If I take it to the tip, they’ll charge me for it (per bag, a nice fair way of calculating the price). So I might as well just take it to Sainsbury’s and dump it in their car park - if I get a fine, I’ll probably break even anyway, or I might just get away with it and they can pay to take it away.
They are proper anal at our local council tip, & are now considering charges for DIY rubble & green waste. I think fly tipping is becoming more & more of a problem. However, it appears councils are hellbent on making it the easier & cheaper option rather than trying to stop it.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

somerset-hammer wrote:quote="Slacking student"]I can't get the baby shark song out of my head now...[/quote

Part of me wants to know..

But I wont listen.
Third Cousin Twice Removed Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Dan -

Did she film the piece of paper that went flying out of you car by accident , what proof does this person have ? Is it your word against hers ?
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Dover KUMB fan wrote: They are proper anal at our local council tip, & are now considering charges for DIY rubble & green waste. I think fly tipping is becoming more & more of a problem. However, it appears councils are hellbent on making it the easier & cheaper option rather than trying to stop it.
Some council(s) in Norfolk tried this, got a (completely unexpected :P ) massive fly-tipping problem, and reversed it
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Dan -

Did she film the piece of paper that went flying out of you car by accident , what proof does this person have ? Is it your word against hers ?
Video footage, apparently. She's probably right, anyway - my car's in a state at the moment, and I wouldn't be surprised if the wind did pull something out of my car. I'm not disputing I was "guilty" of accidental littering, but I'm annoyed they didn't just tell me it happened or give me an opportunity to pick it up. I just saw someone else in town being given a ticket for something or another as I walked back to the office. They're obviously having a big push to rake in some cash at the moment.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Yep, its an alternative to a proper rate of Council Tax.

Especially the case in your typical Tory-run council area.

I knew someone who worked in a council office, for a while, and the performance-related bonuses etc were a very large part of the wages of the bods who wander around looking for people dropping wrappings, fags and what have you.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

The monkey banana song! Give me baby shark any day of the week! Doo doo doo-doo doo-doo.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

The amount of litter left on the bus this morning.

Why can't people tidy up after themselves?

Special mention to the person that left a used sanitary towel on the floor, lovely.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Joyeux Marteau wrote:Special mention to the person that left a used sanitary towel on the floor, lovely.
What a, er, c**t..
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Special mention to the person that left a used sanitary towel on the floor, lovely.
How do you know someone left it? it could have been there from years and would now be a collectible antique!!
Next time do some research and see if you can work out what period it could be from
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Special mention to the person that left a used sanitary towel on the floor, lovely.
screech wrote: How do you know someone left it? it could have been there from years and would now be a collectible antique!!
Next time do some research and see if you can work out what period it could be from