Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Samba »

fjthegrey wrote:Wish the working day away, to bound out the office doors at the end of it, sit in endless traffic, get home and realise there's no interesting reason to be there.
What a pointless life it really is 3/4's of the time.
mushy wrote:That sounds tough.
Yeah, it does, fj.
I'm also sure that many people also feel, as you do.
However, it also sounds like you might be a bit depressed.
I hope you don't mind me saying that. Not being happy at work & then sitting in endless traffic, is enough to get anyone down. Especially now it's colder & dark.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

This Syrian refugee kid being bullied story. A depressing read, unquestionably, but why is it national news? I don’t remember making the front pages when I had the **** kicked out of my by the school psycho when my arm was in a full cast. Appreciate bullying of any nature is grotesque and awful, but it’s absolutely endemic in the UK school system, and no matter how much is said otherwise, it is broadly accepted by many schools.

If anyone’s surprised by any of it, they require an urgent reality check.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

vietnammer wrote:
Defo an English participle that fell out of use in the old country.
Sorry Viet, but I'm calling BS on that.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

DasNutNock wrote:This Syrian refugee kid being bullied story. A depressing read, unquestionably, but why is it national news? I don’t remember making the front pages when I had the **** kicked out of my by the school psycho when my arm was in a full cast. Appreciate bullying of any nature is grotesque and awful, but it’s absolutely endemic in the UK school system, and no matter how much is said otherwise, it is broadly accepted by many schools.

I agree with all, I think back to my school time, my boys, bullying has and sadly always will be part of growing up. I see less bullying in the workplace now, but I'm sure it is still out there. At the end of the day many humans are just utter c****.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Sorry Viet, but I'm calling BS on that.

Best evidence I can find at the mo: The King James Bible (published 1611)

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Proverbs-20-21/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The book is a snapshot of late 16th, early 17th century English and 'gotten' was certainly in use then. However, the modern US usage is restricted to describe dynamic change (it's gotten cold/I've gotten old) rather a state of acquisition, as in the example above.

Think I bollocksed on about this last time it came up, but there is a linguistic phenomenon known as 'Peripheral Fossilisation' whereby a language which is transported to a place away from its origin will retain features which continue to change in the native country. This is very visible in colonisation and not just with English, but with Spanish and French (Quebecois, for example).

I love it that Jamaican English still uses terms like 'Vex' , which is well out-of-date in Britain. My favourite (and it is just my own thought) is how they use 'Dread'. In current English it describes 'fear', whereas yer Rastas use it as in 'to be respected' (dreadlocks etc). King James I was called in Britain 'Our Dread Sovereign)'.

Up the Ammers
Last edited by vietnammer on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

DasNutNock wrote:This Syrian refugee kid being bullied story. A depressing read, unquestionably, but why is it national news? I don’t remember making the front pages when I had the **** kicked out of my by the school psycho when my arm was in a full cast. Appreciate bullying of any nature is grotesque and awful, but it’s absolutely endemic in the UK school system, and no matter how much is said otherwise, it is broadly accepted by many schools.

I was wondering this too, it's almost as if

Someone is pushing an agenda
How has it ended up in the mainstream
Now a video has emerged of his sister being pushed has emerged
People have donated over 120k to the Syrian kid
And they've had plenty of offers from celebs and football teams

All a bit strange, feel like there has to be more than meets the eye
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

DasNutNock wrote:This Syrian refugee kid being bullied story. A depressing read, unquestionably, but why is it national news? I don’t remember making the front pages when I had the **** kicked out of my by the school psycho when my arm was in a full cast.
Not saying it's the correct way to select a news story, because it almost certainly isn't, but the story is on national news because it was getting lots of attention on social media.

Regarding your awful experience.......In fairness, she was 6 and wanted her bike back. The walk to work afterwards must have been very traumatic though.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtKArVgWsAAkEUD.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtKG4c4X4AExMfI.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

fmgod wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtKArVgWsAAkEUD.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtKG4c4X4AExMfI.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that true?

If so, good on the lad for giving the kid a beating, race shouldn't even come into this.

I suspect this is one for NUMB.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

May very well be “fake news” (to coin a loathsome phrase) that the Syrian kid was involved in bullying himself, but this story is still deeply unsettling. I imagine there’ll be thousands of bullied kids today, wondering why no one seems to care they’re being victimised.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

This, completely.

Honestly, I don't give two ****'s about that Syrian kid. Bullying happens in every school. It happened in mine, and to me and my brother and the teachers are beyond useless in 99% of cases.

I distinctly remember 5 older kids beating my brother up in junior school, so later that day me and 4 of my mates responded in kind to the ringleader.

Yep, few things in life will make you feel better than getting violent revenge on a 9 year old.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

My old man taught me and my brothers how to look after ourselves from a young age, with the mentality, 'if they hit you, make sure you hit them harder' which we did, and also got into trouble for.

So either take a beating, and get no help, or fight back and get suspended..
BabyClaret
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

S-H wrote:My old man taught me and my brothers how to look after ourselves from a young age, with the mentality, 'if they hit you, make sure you hit them harder' which we did, and also got into trouble for.

So either take a beating, and get no help, or fight back and get suspended..
This would be sage advice if the kid didn't already have his arm in a cast from another beating.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

It was how I was taught aswell.

Don't bother going to the teachers. If they hit you, hit them back but make sure you hit them hard enough that they wont want to bother you again.

Not necessarily right or ideal, but it's the way the world is.

If these kids weren't bullying this boy for being a refugee they'd be bullying someone else for some other innocuous reason.

Some kids are arseholes.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The press saying it was waterboarding...FFS, it was half a bottle of water. I remember some nutters threatening with a lot worse than that!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

It was a deliberate 'mock waterboarding' because of the kid's middle eastern background - that's my own take on it, admittedly. However it does make it something more than 'give us your dinner money's imo. People are right in saying that playground bullying is pretty much universal though.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

There was nobody there to film it on a smartphone Dan and then post it online. No offence but that stuff probably didn't exist when you were at school :)
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Are we sure he's 15 and not another middle aged teenager?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/f ... d-13631270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:There was nobody there to film it on a smartphone Dan and then post it online. No offence but that stuff probably didn't exist when you were at school :)
I wasn't being literal, but the point stands - why the howls of outrage now? Stuff like this happens at schools up & down the country every day, and barely seems to register.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

delbert wrote:Are we sure he's 15 and not another middle aged teenager?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/f ... d-13631270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The shocking part of this is that this fella has been harassing girls, 4 have gone into hiding due to him, funny how that is not being reported either!