Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 pm

chigwells finest wrote:my son was involved in a 10mph shunt last september , had no issues with admitting it was his mistake .

has a letter in from 3rd party insurers claiming nearly 19k in damages :-0 , we had about £200 of damage to our car which we paid for , he hit a audi a5 in rear quarter . i am lost for words .

When I worked in insurance fraud as an investigator we had a case where two Bentleys had a collision. Both were stored at a unit at a cost of 250 quid a day whilst both claimed for like for like hire at around 400 quid a day until they got the insurance pay off. The total claim was amazing as it was 650 per party per day for about two months.

Fortunately for the insurer, as I was the intelligence researcher I found it coincidental that both parties were Facebook friends for four year period prior to the 'accident' and not only were they cousins, but the unit the cars were stored at was another cousin's land so his business was claiming that part of the fee. Also, the like for like hire cars in the meantime was another cousin's hire car business. Turned out through a surveillance agent I dispatched there that the hire cars were both the original cars with different plates! (Checked the VIN which matched the originals etc.).

Safe to say the circa £80,000 claim between them (excluding injury claims totalling around 10k each and damage to vehicle at around 30k each) were dropped when our firm's solicitor provided my report to their 'solicitor' (again, charging 200 quid a day whilst this went on and was another cousin!).

I believe the parties involved ended up with a custodial sentence for fraud.

If anyone gets involved with a RTA, take photos of the damage, the other party's driving licence and try to get the police there as soon as so you have a bona fide witness to contest any future 'ailments' that are claimed.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Samba - it happens all the time mate.

There used to be a big crash for cash thing where two cars drive in front of you slowly, inducing you to tailgate. The front car brakes suddenly in time with the second car (in front of you whilstnthey are in comms with the front car who they are in the act with), you crash in to the car in front whilst the front car has sped off.

By the time old bill get there etc., the driver you hit says the person in front drive dangerous and stopped for no reason before speeding off 'but they can't remember the vehicle etc.'. They then aren't to blame but you are for driving in the back of them as you should have kept a safe distance.

It's amazing how common it is in certain areas and I bet a few of you going forward will notice it being tried on you. You think some of these people are just rubbish drivers but it will piece together when another vehicle is also nearby.

Another trick used recently is to flash another driver to let them out of a junction then just plough into them. It will be their word against yours and what sane person would choose to crash into someone.

To be fair to the insurers, they are quick to cotton on to these trends and have the legal backing to fight what they believe is a scam.

The bird in the Merc will have a surveillance agent tailing them for a day or two to see if their back makes a miraculous recovery.

Anyone in a situation like this, feel free to PM me and I will provide as much knowledge and advice as I can from my experience in that field.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Shy Ted on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Back in the day drivers of cars would braked hard in front of you on purpose.

This used to be known as Florida neck, as the money you collected from the insurance company would pay for a holiday in Florida.
Shy Ted

Postby Samba on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 pm

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Safe to say the circa £80,000 claim between them (excluding injury claims totalling around 10k each and damage to vehicle at around 30k each) were dropped when our firm's solicitor provided my report to their 'solicitor' (again, charging 200 quid a day whilst this went on and was another cousin!).
I believe the parties involved ended up with a custodial sentence for fraud.
If anyone gets involved with a RTA, take photos of the damage, the other party's driving licence and try to get the police there as soon as so you have a bona fide witness to contest any future 'ailments' that are claimed.

:thup:
I believe you had what they call, 'a result'!
So you'd highly recommend dash-cams, I take it?
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:12 am

Definitely. Although I haven't bothered with one for my car as I only do about 3k miles a year so never really got round to it. If I regularly drove near known accident areas they can really save your backside for the sake of 30-50 quid.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

I stuck a £12 dashcam in my car in 2016 and witnessed 2 crashes on my drive home from work that day. Also offered it as evidence when a blind taxi driver clipped my car (having removed the soundtrack of me swearing like a trooper).
DasNutNock

Postby djclipz on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I stuck a £12 dashcam in my car in 2016 and witnessed 2 crashes on my drive home from work that day. Also offered it as evidence when a blind taxi driver clipped my car (having removed the soundtrack of me swearing like a trooper).

how have you got it powered? I really can't be arsed to plug one in every journey etc etc..
djclipz

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Shy Ted wrote:Back in the day drivers of cars would braked hard in front of you on purpose..

One I heard about was gently pulling up on their handbrakes so their cars slow, but no break lights show.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm

djclipz wrote:how have you got it powered? I really can't be arsed to plug one in every journey etc etc..

Came with one of them 3m micro USB cigarette lighter cables, which I plugged into the boot, then fed the cable along the inside of the car (cable-tied to the grab handles). There's probably smarter ways to do it, but it works ok.
DasNutNock

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I stuck a £12 dashcam in my car in 2016 and witnessed 2 crashes on my drive home from work that day. Also offered it as evidence when a blind taxi driver clipped my car (having removed the soundtrack of me swearing like a trooper).

I'm surprised you weren't quickly surrounded by a dozen more taxis, all swearing blind they witnessed it and you were in the wrong.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm

:thup:
DasNutNock

Postby djclipz on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:36 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Came with one of them 3m micro USB cigarette lighter cables, which I plugged into the boot, then fed the cable along the inside of the car (cable-tied to the grab handles). There's probably smarter ways to do it, but it works ok.

Ah right, yeah I don't really want a visible wire.. I've looked into wiring direct to the fuse box as that is about 20 quid for a kit and then it should be as simple as hiding the wire behind the cover/fascia that runs down one side of the windscreen. It's just CBA.
djclipz

Postby devonshire flu on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:46 pm

DasNutNock wrote:

Sounds like a good solution. But why were you lighting cigarettes in your boot?
devonshire flu

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:48 pm

devonshire flu wrote:Sounds like a good solution. But why were you lighting cigarettes in your boot?

They were spliffs.
DasNutNock

Postby Samba on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Shy Ted wrote:Back in the day drivers of cars would braked hard in front of you on purpose..

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:One I heard about was gently pulling up on their handbrakes so their cars slow, but no break lights show.

Devious c**ts.
Samba

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

I have one with GPS which also shows your speed in case any **** says I was tanking it when I was not
FreeWheeling

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:16 pm

The same five adverts on All Four.
Joyeux Marteau

Postby Samba on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 pm

The Ava Max song, 'Sweet But Psycho'.
Rhyming psycho with psycho is just piss-poor writing.
Couldn't you think of ANY other word?
Samba

Postby AnthraxDave on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 am

Women with Children at work who think they have a divine right to precedence over everyone else when it comes to taking time off during the school holidays.
I got in early and booked the first week of August off back in mid-December, as I intend to be watching The Ashes at Edgbaston. Cue me being hate figure number 1 this week when various Women were told there would not be enough cover that week for them to take time off as well.
"I have kids. I need to take time off over the Summer. You don't!" was what one had the nerve to tell me to try and convince me to cancel my annual leave.

Gets right on my ****ing nerves.
AnthraxDave

Postby Samba on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 am

AnthraxDave wrote:Women with Children at work who think they have a divine right to precedence over everyone else when it comes to taking time off during the school holidays.
I got in early and booked the first week of August off back in mid-December, as I intend to be watching The Ashes at Edgbaston. Cue me being hate figure number 1 this week when various Women were told there would not be enough cover that week for them to take time off as well.
"I have kids. I need to take time off over the Summer. You don't!" was what one had the nerve to tell me to try and convince me to cancel my annual leave.
Gets right on my ****ing nerves.

I'm guessing, "You should have kept your f**king legs closed", might not go down too well in the office..
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug