Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Little things that irritate you

Postby warp on Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm

vietnammer wrote:Sounds like everyone ran out of Duracell :)

warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby -DL- on Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Poxy forum - it censored f-r-o-l-i-c-k-i-n-g :x
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Samba on Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Helped a mate who's not very tech savvy with some IT & Home Cinema issues he's been having, which included connecting bluetooth "smart" speakers to his TV. Everything worked very well, and the speakers were particularly interesting to configure - but there was a significant (c. 5 second) delay between the onscreen picture and the audio channel, which I couldn't address using the TV's built-in sync management tools.

Why is there a delay when using bluetooth but not when wired?
Is it similar to the reason why there is a delay between dab & fm radio?
Samba

Postby Samba on Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Men that cross there legs.
Mainly because I can't do it myself.

You big bollox..
Samba

Postby Samba on Thu May 16, 2019 12:50 am

Adverts showing the BMW i8 Roadster.
Whilst it is a truly magnificent piece of automotive engineering, at from £124,735, how many of the viewing public are they actually appealing to, apart from the ludicrously rich..
It's not even like most of us could save up for it.
'Here, look at this, something lovely that most of you will never have'.
Samba

Postby Tenbury on Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am

Isn't that largely what TV is about?
Tenbury

Postby S-H on Thu May 16, 2019 6:50 am

Only poor people watch TV
S-H

Postby DasNutNock on Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am

Samba wrote:Why is there a delay when using bluetooth but not when wired?
Is it similar to the reason why there is a delay between dab & fm radio?

Yeah, I'm still a bit stumped by this one. Could be:

1) There's an inherent delay with bluetooth audio, possibly for caching purposes to avoid buffering, but because there's no video reference signal when you're using your phone or a bluetooth speaker for music or whatever, you don't notice it.

The only thing here is that the delay on my mate's TV/speaker setup was at least 4 seconds, and presumably, you'd notice that on a bluetooth phone call. Suppose voice calls could be a lower data rate because it's only a fairly small bandwidth for voice frequencies, and therefore less caching involved, so less noticeable.

2) Any delay between the audio & video signal is noticeable. I've never used a bluetooth soundbar on a TV, but you'd have to presume there's ways of addressing sync issues automatically. Or do you always need to use a sync adjust feature on the TV to delay the video signal a few seconds to compensate for the inherent delay with BT audio? Would seem a bit of a major design flaw with BT enabled soundbars if there's no means to auto-adjust.

Anyway, this is continuing to annoy me, and although I've told him to get some line out cables and be done with it, I will be unable to relax until I have an answer.
DasNutNock

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 am

Went out to a rather spectacular place called ' Randolph's Leap ' yesterday - it's part of the Findhorn River - big pool etc etc - Jennie and Daniel went for a walk in the woods while I found myself a place in the sun with a book [ Monkey Mike's ' The Bitterest Pill ] - a few people went past , everyone said ' Hello ' - then this older couple came along , I looked up from my book and said ' Hello there , how are you ' type of thing - they just completely blanked me , walking past speaking in this upper class English accent .
I don't know why , but it really annoyed me . Manners cost nothing .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Monkey Mike on Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Went out to a rather spectacular place called ' Randolph's Leap ' yesterday - it's part of the Findhorn River - big pool etc etc - Jennie and Daniel went for a walk in the woods while I found myself a place in the sun with a book [ Monkey Mike's ' The Bitterest Pill ] - a few people went past , everyone said ' Hello ' - then this older couple came along , I looked up from my book and said ' Hello there , how are you ' type of thing - they just completely blanked me , walking past speaking in this upper class English accent .
I don't know why , but it really annoyed me . Manners cost nothing .

I was concerned with where it was going once you mentioned my book, TOMOS! :lol:
Monkey Mike

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 2:46 pm

This isn't little!

In the last week I have had my friends 10 year old say to me "I have some anxiety about my exams, not sleeping well", then a colleagues 13 year old son tried to hang himself. I know a couple of teachers through mutual friends and I have heard them say kids as young as 7/8 have started mentioning anxiety/stress.

How the **** are we / society letting our children down so much!!!!!!!!!!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby claretandblue82 on Thu May 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Samsung phones! What a pile of crap! Quickly reverted back to my tried and trusted iPhone.
claretandblue82

Postby sendô on Thu May 16, 2019 4:01 pm

People that wear the same thing to work every day - and I don't mean people that go to work in a uniform.
sendô

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

sendô wrote:People that wear the same thing to work every day - and I don't mean people that go to work in a uniform.

do you mean , the same shirt/tie/suit ? must stink after while
chigwells finest

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:This isn't little!

In the last week I have had my friends 10 year old say to me "I have some anxiety about my exams, not sleeping well", then a colleagues 13 year old son tried to hang himself. I know a couple of teachers through mutual friends and I have heard them say kids as young as 7/8 have started mentioning anxiety/stress.

How the **** are we / society letting our children down so much!!!!!!!!!!

My nephew is 8..... threatened to kill himself if a girl in his class wouldn't give his pencil back.

****ing 8!! WTF is happening to this world that young child would think/say such things?!
westham,eggyandchips

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
The only thing here is that the delay on my mate's TV/speaker setup was at least 4 seconds, and presumably, you'd notice that on a bluetooth phone call. Suppose voice calls could be a lower data rate because it's only a fairly small bandwidth for voice frequencies, and therefore less caching involved, so less noticeable.

Christ, When you said delay in the first post I though you were talking parts of a second, 4 seconds is way out there
FreeWheeling

Postby Samba on Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:' Randolph's Leap '.

That gives me terrible nightmares about a couple of years ago..
Samba

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Tenbury wrote:Seriously, that could be a bit dodgy.I've had DVTs (3) in my leg that started in a similar way.It doesn't sound a million miles away from phlebitus either. Best get it checked out, you can register with a doc and see them at the same time. Hopefully it's f**k all and they'll tell you to bugger off , and stop wasting their time.

Took the quicker but cheekier option of nipping in the Med Unit at LWC Warminster whilst onsite :D
Probable bruised meniscus, something between the joints she said, taking it easy should sort it, so I am working from home with a beer in hand
FreeWheeling

Postby Samba on Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Anyway, this is continuing to annoy me, and although I've told him to get some line out cables and be done with it, I will be unable to relax until I have an answer.

Cheers Dan, v interesting although you did lose me after 1) There's...
You know what you could do for a laugh, go on to 'Gadget Detective' & you can post tech questions on there.
Be interesting to see if you can stump them!
Samba

Postby Clacton-ammer on Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
My nephew is 8..... threatened to kill himself if a girl in his class wouldn't give his pencil back.

****ing 8!! WTF is happening to this world that young child would think/say such things?!

Don't know Eggy, saddens & frightens me in truth that many of the kids appear to not be kids anymore. Where are they getting it all from? Many people will just blame the parents, f'sure some parenting will be poor, but not always, they are getting it from other sources, TV, social media, other kids at school etc.

Up to about 13/14 I did not even know there was words like anxiety/depression etc, I just wanted to be fed and let out to play with my mates.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug