Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by DasNutNock »

Sound advice from you both, gents. My spirit remains uplifted.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I have already told my boys that god willing when they have little uns and I am to be referred to as "pops", in homage to my Grandad. My nan & pops were brilliant, yet my parents & my Exs were ****ing shocking as grandparents, I intend to be the polar opposite and be a huge part of their lives & I can't wait :)

Balaam & Freewheeling :thup:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I think I spend too much time with my kids to fully appreciate them.

It's not often that I look at any of them and feel that real, heartwarming love.

Ordinarily, I'm wishing they'd be quiet or just counting the clock so I can get some writing done.

They are great though. Especially the little one. He might be the best human ever.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

I get called Pops :thup:
Mega Ron
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I'm with Dan though, I feel incredible pleasure from getting things done.

I painted about 50 fence panels, having been meaning to do it for about a year, and now that it's done I feel satisfaction just looking out of the window at them. [the same goes for the shed that I painted the colour of the Giner Pele's pubes and after 4 coats of other paint is now not quite as bright as the Sun]
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

WHU Independent wrote:more than passing resemblance to Pam Grier and the other looks a lot like Leah Remmy. Both fit too. Sorry I know the rules but taking pictures in this overly PC workplace would lead to my dismissal.
just have a selfie with her and photoshop your arse out of it...
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

oh and i feel great when i do stuff, too.
but a lot better when i sit on my arse tripping and listening/playing music.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Found a fresh badger on the A303 this morning, was still warm.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

S-H wrote:Found a fresh badger on the A303 this morning, was still warm.
Gurt LOLs.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

S-H wrote:Found a fresh badger on the A303 this morning, was still warm.
Bon appetit
Kludgehammer
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Been hunting around for ages for a TV arm for the (fairly small) TV in the dining room* and couldn't find one anywhere that had anything other than a gigantic VESA plate for some 80" monster. Ended up with one of those that looked like it might fit, but didn't, sitting on my filing cabinet gathering dust for the last 6 months

Was sorting stuff out in the garage yesterday and found some left over bits from another TV arm - a bit of judicious tinkering and drilling and voila - one suitably-sized TV arm, ready to be fixed (slightly off-vertical), and two boxes of redundant bits to be thrown out**

(* just past the mezzanine, next to the present-wrapping annexe)

(** or stored in the garage, just in case)
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Djbubbles

:thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Little boy comes over to me and Isaac today over the park and he's got a Chelsea top on. Isaac says 'do you support Chelsea?' and the boy replies 'yes, I do' so Isaac says 'My Daddy says they're ****...'
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

-DL- wrote:Little boy comes over to me and Isaac today over the park and he's got a Chelsea top on. Isaac says 'do you support Chelsea?' and the boy replies 'yes, I do' so Isaac says 'My Daddy says they're ****...'
And then the two of you gave him an absolute shoeing, yes?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The dude would have given him a good going over to be fair, but he'd probably be able to take me right now :D
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

DasNutNock wrote: The way i see it is that I’ve already had my chance to express myself in life and now it’s my turn to give my family a platform so they can do the same.
You can do both. I pretty much did no sport between the ages of 30 - 47 apart from teaching tennis to my girls. My eldest got into cricket which led to me managing a junior team for the last 3 years, plus coaching them. Doing that got me practising in the nets and for the last 2 years I've been playing for the 4th XI every Saturday.

I though my sporting days were done, but instead my kids have got me playing again. I'm loving it.

Plus doing stuff keeps you fit and inspires them. I think it is massively important kids in this era get leadership to stay away from phones and do stuff. The first person to do this should be dad. :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Ah, well, the sports & fitness stuff, I’ve always had covered. I had my eldest running 5k with me before her 5th birthday, 30 mile bike rides before she turned 7. She’s done judo 4 years and is already a better swimmer than I’ll ever be. I’d she ever takes an interest in team sports, I’ll do what I can to help there, too.

I just meant more that I’m much more content to do the heavy lifting - the boring stuff, the stressful stuff, mundane stuff, sensible stuff - so that the family doesn’t have to. The sort of stuff I never thought I’d enjoy doing, basically. But I do, because it makes me feel like I’m doing what I’m supposed to do.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Spot on DNN, exactly the mindset I'm in now but my daughter is only 2 (in a couple of weeks).

I'm 28 but been with my missus since I was 19?, Married for nearly 3 years. Mates of mine are still in the 'go out partying, you know what mindset' but we have the foundations now for a (hopefully) better mid/later life.

I used to hate housework/gardening/general chores but since having the kid it seems more rewarding to get the garden done nice and play about in the garden for a couple of hours on a weekend.

I'm no DIY man but found myself d**king about with stuff indoors to make everyone else's life that more convenient.

Enjoy every moment.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Cider.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

After 2 months of unemployment following my short stint with a disastrously run (literally could not explain how lax they were with IT security!) FinTech company, I finally got offered a new job today after about 20 interviews since the start of April.

It is working as a Failsafe Officer (Systems/Data Analyst, essentially) for the Ophthalmology Department of the local NHS Trust. I had to do a 15min presentation as part of the interview. The (stunning!) Admin woman who I will be working with came out just before the interview and said the projectors were not working but would I be OK to do the presentation without it? I said that I had e-mailed her my presentation that morning, and bought a paper copy with me. So she printed 3 copied for herself and the 2 others that were interviewing me. I ****ing nailed it (the presentation, not her!). Answered the questions that she had as an Admin manager, as well as the questions that the Deputy Department Head woman asked.

The other one interviewing me kept quiet the whole time, then said she had a few questions. Introduced herself as lead Ophthalmology Consultant. She literally tore me to shreds (think Claude from The Apprentice) over my presentation, my career history, etc. Managed to stay calm without ****ing her off.

Felt **** all afternoon. Had 2 calls telling me that that I was unsuccessful in interviews earlier this week. Emotionally drained. f*** it, I'm going for a late afternoon snooze and take a nice big dump beforehand. Climbed into bed 5pm-ish and my phone rings. It is the lovely Admin lady from earlier....

"I just want to say that your presentation was excellent. Sorry about the IT issues. You interviewed really well. You were impeccable under the pressure of the last set of questions. We were really impressed, because people often display too much emotion when under personal critique, and we need to find the right fit for this kind of role" (I'm waiting for inevitable "but...")...."We'd like to offer you the job."

Been sat here for the past few hours with a big grin on my face and a few glasses of Cider. Hopefully start in mid-June once References and stuff come through :scarfer:

I felt so depressed whilst unemployed. I could feel my mental health creaking at the seams. All those knock-backs and the soul-destroying boredom of having no routine. I'm the type of person who needs my brain to always be active. Having nothing to do all day kills me.

Sorry for rambling, dudes. Cheers.