Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Christ? Coming back?!

Batten down the hatches!
prophet:marginal

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Needed some new boots for work. I knew exactly what I wanted, but I tend to find that that means I'm very fussy when I'm searching.
I was resigned to a long slog around Ashford Designer Outlet, where there's a good choice of shops.
Headed into Clarks, picked up a pair of boots that were just the ticket. Tried them on and they fitted perfectly. Price? A pony!
Looked them up on the Clarks website, they were originally eighty quid 8-)
Job done.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Just about to book a weekend away in Prague on Expedia when Mrs Eggs informs me BA have a sale on at the moment.

Managed to get the flight/hotel package £150 cheaper through B.A. Thanks Mrs Eggs and an even bigger thanks to BA. :scarfer:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Suggs, seemingly rat arsed on Sunday morning TV. Image
bubbles1966

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:38 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Suggs, seemingly rat arsed on Sunday morning TV. Image

West to see them last year in at the Kent Showground and he was absolutely out of it. What made it even more hilarious was that they'd been told under no circumstances should they swear on stage as there was kids in the audience. He proceeded to use expletives at every opportunity and had to apologise every time and just had another sip of wine.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm

ESM's first match report in 6 years appearing on the GD board.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Listening to Radio 4 today in the car and they were talking about Mad Jack Churchill. For anyone who's not heard of him, he's the last person to ever kill someone in battle in World War Two. He also played the bagpipes and used to pipe his men into battle. Two stories they told about him had me in stitches.

Story One:
After the war, he got a job in the Ministry of Defence in London. He lived in Surrey and he used to get the train to and from work. Regularly on the way home from work, he could be seen throwing his brief case out of the window a few minutes just before the train arrived at his station. The reason for this? His back garden backed onto the railway tracks and he would throw his case into his back garden because he didn't want to carry it home with him

Story two
He is often quoted as saying "If it wasn't for them bloody yanks, we could have carried the war on for another ten years!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Noble grabbing Arnies arse when celebrating his goal on Saturday :D

hammerdivone

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Listening to Radio 4 today in the car and they were talking about Mad Jack Churchill. .......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for that chap :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Apparently Everton haven't had a shot on target for 2 games, and Big Sam has said, perhaps they need to be MORE boring.
somerset-hammer

Postby warp on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Christ? Coming back?!

is he?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby bondsbootlaces on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Listening to Radio 4 today in the car and they were talking about Mad Jack Churchill. For anyone who's not heard of him, he's the last person to ever kill someone in battle in World War Two. He also played the bagpipes and used to pipe his men into battle. Two stories they told about him had me in stitches.

Story One:
After the war, he got a job in the Ministry of Defence in London. He lived in Surrey and he used to get the train to and from work. Regularly on the way home from work, he could be seen throwing his brief case out of the window a few minutes just before the train arrived at his station. The reason for this? His back garden backed onto the railway tracks and he would throw his case into his back garden because he didn't want to carry it home with him

Story two
He is often quoted as saying "If it wasn't for them bloody yanks, we could have carried the war on for another ten years!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seeing this reminded me of the stories of Adrian Carton de Wiart. Reminded of him escaping a POW camp in Italy and evading capture for 8 days even though he was in northern Italy, didn't speak Italian and was missing an eye and arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart
bondsbootlaces

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:10 am

Reece Burke‏Verified account @ReeceBurke

Absolutely buzzing to get my first @WestHamUtd goal! Been dreaming about this since I was a kid! To score it in injury time and take us through to the next round of the #FACup infront of the home fans, made it a moment I will never forget!!
somerset-hammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 am

The numerous u-turns about David Moyes' appointment. :)
westham,eggyandchips

Postby vietnammer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mad Jack Churchill.

Just read the wiki link. Seems he initiated an attack on a German unit in the early days of the war by shooting a commander with a bow and arrow. Can't help imagining what went through the victim's mind WTF????
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am

An arrow by the sounds of it...

Never knew about mad Jack Churchill, thanks for the heads up :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Logging into your betting account, and realizing a bet you forgot you had placed had come in!

8-)
somerset-hammer

Postby Patito on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:37 pm

You just reminded me as well, somerset!
Patito

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Listening to Radio 4 today in the car and they were talking about Mad Jack Churchill. For anyone who's not heard of him, he's the last person to ever kill someone in battle in World War Two. He also played the bagpipes and used to pipe his men into battle. Two stories they told about him had me in stitches.

Story One:

Story two

i listened to this too and thought what a good film it would make - loved the fact that as he got off the plane he threw his cigarette back in and burnt the plane down too
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:An arrow by the sounds of it...

Never knew about mad Jack Churchill, thanks for the heads up :thup:

Just read his Wiki page. What a geezer!
Cockneyboy311

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug