Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by The Collector »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Mars is just about as close to the Earth as it gets. Not quite, but nearly. It's the bright orange thing low in the south around midnight.
So, that’s what it was! We’re up on the Isle of Skye at the moment and had a completely cloudless night. Tried to take some pictures of the constellations but the camera would only go to ISO 3200. But, the big orange blob just over the horizon was easy to see.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Wife's gone to her nieces wedding (2 day job) on her own and left me at home to look after the dog. Very happy indeed, I can watch the match tomorrow (was very concerned I'd have to miss it) and a couple of days on my own not having to tidy stuff away etc. is very welcome. :)
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

up until 30 minutes before she's due back when you can do the mad dash to tidy **** up
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Going west down the Commercial Road and having to go through the Rotherhithe Tunnel down into bandit country. The left hand lane is left turn only and the one you should be in to turn for the tunnel, the middle and outside lanes are ahead only, all controlled with a filter traffic light with the left hand lane usually backed up.
Obviously the alpha males in their penis substitute German cars, TfL licenced illegal immigrant cab drivers and dodgy builders in their derelict vans approach in the middle lane and then cut in at the lights, it's these quim whiffs that cause a tail back in the left hand lane.
What makes me smile is when the lights change and the left hand filter light goes green and the first vehicle in the middle isn't turning left so stays where it is, this causes all the arrogant areswipes to go into a melt down, I sometimes touch myself as I go past them on the inside........ :D
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The Bobby Madley rumourmill. :D
The people spreading these rumours are like a Dog with a bone.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Mega Ron wrote:up until 30 minutes before she's due back when you can do the mad dash to tidy **** up
very true :thup:
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Being given some West Ham shot glasses for helping my friend out at work! Really cool.

They fit four shots in them!!
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Joyeux Marteau wrote:Being given some West Ham shot glasses for helping my friend out at work! Really cool.

They fit four shots in them!!
I think they're called tumblers JM :D
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Harry Hound wrote:Wife's gone to her nieces wedding (2 day job) on her own and left me at home to look after the dog. Very happy indeed, I can watch the match tomorrow (was very concerned I'd have to miss it) and a couple of days on my own not having to tidy stuff away etc. is very welcome. :)
My Mrs has to go away about 4 -5 times a year, I make sure the house is ****ing spotless and in tip ****ing top condition when she gets back, I am sure it drives her nuts when she gets back and I am half shitfaced, give them something to think about :wink:
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Had my first job interview yesterday since February 2016. Funding for my current Youth Work job ends in March, so started applying for stuff now rather than later. Especially as it is 99% certain I am not going back to Uni for Post Graduate study in September.

Not sure if I will get the job (working for a local Web Design company), but I felt that I handled the interview well enough. Used to be a bag of nerves with that sort of thing. Should hear back from them early next week.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Best of luck Dave. :thup:
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

AnthraxDave wrote:Had my first job interview yesterday since February 2016. Funding for my current Youth Work job ends in March, so started applying for stuff now rather than later. Especially as it is 99% certain I am not going back to Uni for Post Graduate study in September.
Yes, best of luck mate :thup:

How comes you're not going back to Uni? What is it you want to study?
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Who the f*** are this 416 west ham crew that have decided to pop into non league to have a pop at non league grandads :D
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Well I got past that phone interview for the job
all pleased then got hit by a thunderbolt, I have to present a 10 min presentation (without the use of any IT equipment) , my biggest ****ing fear is standing up in front of people talking :fsake:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^ Sit down and do it then...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Just practice it a lot.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

FreeWheeling wrote:Well I got past that phone interview for the job
all pleased then got hit by a thunderbolt, I have to present a 10 min presentation (without the use of any IT equipment) , my biggest ****ing fear is standing up in front of people talking :fsake:

I had to do this for my job. I created a poster on paint, went to snappy snaps and had it blown up and presented it in my interview using a Chinese chop stick as a pointer.

Scored full points.

Think outside the box and make it a bit different and you'll go a long way to impressing them.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Hammer Laffers wrote:I had to do this for my job. I created a poster on paint, went to snappy snaps and had it blown up and presented it in my interview using a Chinese chop stick as a pointer.

Scored full points.
That's brilliant HL.
I take it your are now happily employed by 'Ying Tong Iddle I Po Ltd'. (Milligan Division) :)
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

This is great news.

MegaRon is right, there is no alternative to practice. Practice on your wife/girlfriend, Mum/Dad even on the dog/cat.

Start from the premise of 'what do you want the audience to remember'? Don't think of it as a presentation - this is a pitch to show off you, your communication skills, and your knowledge.

Pick a topic you know/love, then speaking about it (to anyone) becomes easier.

IT is one of the worst inventions for presentation, as we all have to come ti rely on it so heavily that the software becomes the presentation. The idea of a poster is good as a crutch/support but don't fall into the trap of presenting TO the poster. Face the audience, and have the poster alongside or behind as a visual aid for them.

10 minutes is not a long time - the audience typically remembers the beginning and the end, so don't get lost in the middle. Start by telling them what it is you are presenting and why it will be of interest to them i.e. what benefit will it have to them, the users

'I can show you how this (whatever) will benefit your business by (whatever it is)'

Mr Kellogg, when he was a travelling salesman, before starting his breakfast company was asked 'why he was so good at selling'. His answer was. 'I tell them what I'm going to tell them, then I tell them, and then I tell them what I've just told them'.

Good luck!!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Swerve it and join the queue outside your local Wetherspoons.