Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Legging it across the Thames. All time record is 19 seconds on the particular bridge/Strava segment I'm targetting. I managed 26 seconds today - I've got *some* room to improve on that, but not a huge amount I'd guess.
Managed 24 seconds today. Someone set a new all-time record yesterday (18s) so that puts me 11th all-time. Think 22 seconds is possible, but not in the middle of a 7-miler. I'll have to drive over there, do some warm-ups and then sprint back & forth to set a top-10 time, I suspect.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

A mate of mine's just reminded me that, 5 or 6 years after we'd left school, his younger brother told us that he sat down at one of the desks to do an A-level exam and saw "<DasNutNock's real name> IS A C*NT" scrawled across it in permanent marker.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Managed 24 seconds today. Someone set a new all-time record yesterday (18s) so that puts me 11th all-time. Think 22 seconds is possible, but not in the middle of a 7-miler. I'll have to drive over there, do some warm-ups and then sprint back & forth to set a top-10 time, I suspect.
Looks like the 18 second time's been removed from the leaderboard for some reason. Managed 23 seconds today in 27C heat, and eased off over the second half. Don't think I can beat the current record of 19 seconds, but there's a bit more to come. Am now 9th out of 8100 people.

Trying to work out why this all makes me smile. The achievement, or the pointlessness?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Walking through Canary Wharf at approx 12:15 pm today, in my shorts, sleeve-less T shirt and trainers and watching the other 99% of the guys there struggle to keep cool in their uniform of shirt, tie and suit in the unbearable heat. Also knowing that in about 45 mins they will back to work at their office job and I wouldn't be. In fact I was sitting in the sun lapping up the rays!

Also: I had an barium meal scan today for my throat. One of the scans went wrong due to operator error and was advised that, unfortunately, I would have to drink another sizeable quantity of the chalky white liquid. I said that was fine as I "actually like the taste of the liquid, it's like a milky peppermint milk shake."

The Dr there said that this was a first. "In 20 years of doing these scans I have never found anyone who likes the taste of a barium meal."

As it happens I was talking to a mate of mine in America and they do the barium meals in a cappuccino flavour now!
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

For all you fishermen out there ,my nephew who is a Hammer and also fishes for England in Carp fishing just won the European Cup in Hungary. Over the 115 hour match, the 3 man team caught 130 fish totaling 1148 kilos.Well done Jamie and the lads !
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Discussing boxing in work today and it got onto the subject of Tyson Fury's height. The conversation went as follows:

Me: How tall is Tyson Fury?
Mate: According to Google he's 2.06 meteres
Me: How tall is that?
Mate: Just over two meters.
Me: You twat.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just off for a Fathers Day pint with my kids. Doesn't matter that I will be paying - just good to sit in the sun in a pub garden with them.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Went out for a run this morning and got stopped in my tracks by a duck crossing the road with her 5 ducklings.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Not sure where to post this.....

Finished making another amp today. The Pedro.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Sweaty bronze crumpet.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

You make those?

Wow.

Nice piano by the way.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Conversation today in with me, the missus and step-daughter.

Missus - I fancy an omelette.
Me - I'll make it.
Missus - No, I'm fussy about eggs, I have to crack them myself so there's no eggshell in it.
Me - don't worry, I'll be careful.
Missus - no, no no, I HAVE to do it myself. It'll freak me out if I eat an eggshell.
Step-daughter - Well you'll be no good when you end up in a nursing home!

:shock:
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Not sure where to post this.....

Very impressive - was it a kit, or all skilfully crafted by your own hands? My son is into music production
and tinkering with technology, so making an amp would be right up his street. Quick question though ... does it go all the way up to 11?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Monkeybubbles wrote:Not sure where to post this.....

Nice one mate! I envy people like you who can do things like this.

You need to make a high-gain, wall melting, face destroying, behemoth valve amp and I'd be interested

:thup:
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

pablo jaye wrote: Very impressive - was it a kit, or all skilfully crafted by your own hands? My son is into music production
and tinkering with technology, so making an amp would be right up his street. Quick question though ... does it go all the way up to 11?
Thanks Pabs. Yeah, I do all the woodwork, metalwork and electronics. None of it is difficult, to be honest. If your lad ever wants to make an amp or anything else, I'd be chuffed to help. My own lad has just finished a music production degree, we designed and made some midi-controlled effects as part of his coursework, it was really interesting in a geeky way.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Nice one mate! I envy people like you who can do things like this.

You need to make a high-gain, wall melting, face destroying, behemoth valve amp and I'd be interested

:thup:

Cheers chief. I could knock up something Diezel or Engl or whatever inspired if you ever want something. Even at extreme mates rates, though, it wouldn't be much cheaper than the real thing.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Am I the only one slightly concerned by the brand name on that amp?
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Thanks Pabs. Yeah, I do all the woodwork, metalwork and electronics. None of it is difficult, to be honest. If your lad ever wants to make an amp or anything else, I'd be chuffed to help. My own lad has just finished a music production degree, we designed and made some midi-controlled effects as part of his coursework, it was really interesting in a geeky way.

My lad is just starting to look at music production degrees, where did your son do his? The coursework sounds right up pablo jrs street. Cheers.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

pablo jaye wrote: My lad is just starting to look at music production degrees, where did your son do his? The coursework sounds right up pablo jrs street. Cheers.
He was at BIMM in Bristol. It's an amazing place, just had a brand new studio complex built. BIMM also have places at Brighton, Manchester, Birmingham and London.

He always spent all his spare time making beats and tracks in his room, probably like your lad. Getting a degree for doing his hobby seemed like a cushy option, and true enough he loved every minute of it.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Picking up a brand new 15k BTU air conditioner for £50.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Picking up a brand new 15k BTU air conditioner for £50.
I've just read the specs - it's designed for offices and rooms up to 400 sq ft, and weighs 40Kg. Get the impression that it might not be designed for silent operation as such.