Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by DasNutNock »

Didn't mean to buy a 43" TV - genuinely wanted something more like 28-32". But after I found that offer, I couldn't see any other option. It was either get this one, or pay more for a much smaller, lower spec set that doesn't run my apps (vpn, Kodi etc). Is probably a bit excessive for a "second" set, but the price was right...
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Having this for my own use today and again tomorrow. Drove it from West Ham to Chatham, then to Plumstead, and doing the same tomorrow.

It's lovely seeing people's faces as I'm driving down the road, and people waving and getting their phones out to video it and take pictures.

Also made my little boy's day by stopping right outside my house and picking him up in it.

Smashing.

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Those were the buses I traveled on as a boy and they were fantastic, my uncle drove one for years and years and he brought me into barking garage one day to meet the staff and have a look around, had great time. :)
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Young, old, male, female alike -surprised me just how much it was fawned over. It was on display at Festival of Transport and Steam in Chatham Dockyard, and all day a steady stream of people were climbing aboard. Oldun's saying how it brought back memories, youngsters that had never seen one in the flesh before.

Quite amazing how a functional piece of machinery seems to be in so many people's affections.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

****ing hot and unreliable in the summer those.

I was seeing this stunner who lived in Muswell Hill and I swear those buses would break down every time.

At least you could jump straight off though.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

-DL- wrote:Young, old, male, female alike -surprised me just how much it was fawned over. It was on display at Festival of Transport and Steam in Chatham Dockyard, and all day a steady stream of people were climbing aboard. Oldun's saying how it brought back memories, youngsters that had never seen one in the flesh before.

Quite amazing how a functional piece of machinery seems to be in so many people's affections.
Another memory that I have is that as a seven year old my late uncle would organise hiring about 4 of the buses and take all the workers families and extended relatives on day trips to Margate Southend and Clacton diring the summer.

I still have an old picture somewhere of all of us in a group shot with all the buses behind us.

I remember all of us singing on the bus on the way to the seaside that Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard.

It may sound strange but that day was possibly one of the happiest of my life. :)
freelander

Post by freelander »

Don't know why this has suddenly come into my mind

But every time I think of this it makes me laugh

'If Ty-Phoo put the T in Britain, who put the C**T in Scunthorpe' !

I know,I know - simple things please simple minds!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Aah the Routemaster. You could sling snowballs at the conductor!
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

-DL- wrote:Having this for my own use today and again tomorrow. Drove it from West Ham to Chatham, then to Plumstead, and doing the same tomorrow.

It's lovely seeing people's faces as I'm driving down the road, and people waving and getting their phones out to video it and take pictures.

Also made my little boy's day by stopping right outside my house and picking him up in it.

Smashing.

Did I see the same bus in the Strand on Thursday?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

It's quite possible that you did, as this one is still in service on 15 Heritage route
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Mega Ron wrote:****ing hot and unreliable in the summer those.

I was seeing this stunner who lived in Muswell Hill and I swear those buses would break down every time.

At least you could jump straight off though.
No where near as bad as the Leyland crap that followed them into service, London Transport was sort of forced to buy them despite having a one man operated RM prototype already being trialled. The fact that the RM then continued in service long after the old Leylands wasn't down to sentiment, it was down to the fact they were simply a far better bus.
The great thing about the RM was that it was designed by and for London Transport to meet it's needs, it was designed so an engine or gearbox could be changed in one spread over (the down time between morning & evening rush hours). It was made as a semi automatic to make training and driving easier.
I once put one into the roof of North Street bus garage, so good was the design no one ever noticed the damage I did to it....... :)
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

delbert wrote: I once put one into the roof of North Street bus garage, so good was the design no one ever noticed the damage I did to it....... :)
To be fair, unless you happen to be a giraffe, you're unlikely to notice any damage to the roof of a double- decker bus!

Coincidentally, my uncle was a driver out of North Street. Drove the 175 route IIRC.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Getting my tech proper sorted. 4k movies to the spare room with no buffering, and full HD audio off Kodi to the home cinema setup. DTS-HD MA & Dolby Atmos sound absolutely stunning and 4k movies are lovely to see.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Not actually a little thing, ****ing mega actually, my youngest Corey just broke his University's Shot Putt record at the Georgia Tech invitational. He's still only a sophomore so more in the tank to come. Discus tomorrow. (He's a Hammer of course)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Vince wrote:Not actually a little thing, ****ing mega actually, my youngest Corey just broke his University's Shot Putt record at the Georgia Tech invitational. He's still only a sophomore so more in the tank to come. Discus tomorrow. (He's a Hammer of course)
****ing sweet! He's at GT, or another college? Athletics scholarships available for his sport?
Vince

Post by Vince »

****ing sweet! He's at GT, or another college? Athletics scholarships available for his sport?[/quote]

Hey Dan, he's at Belmont college in Nashville, and yes you do get scholarships for track and field, which he has.
Only been doing this for four years since he bust his shoulder up playing American football. In his second year he broke his school's 52 year discus record and now in his second year at college he has broken the shot putt record. Competing against some huge guys. The winner of last nights event was the D2 national champion, 6'5" 27 stone !
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

If he's a Discus & Shot record holder of any nature, I suspect he's no small guy himself. I do love the Olympic throws, and I think those two in particular are criminally underrated. Good technique in both disciplines takes exceptional coordination allied with immense physical strength.

Think he could go onto D1 or is he targeting success in D2?
Vince

Post by Vince »

DasNutNock wrote:If he's a Discus & Shot record holder of any nature, I suspect he's no small guy himself. I do love the Olympic throws, and I think those two in particular are criminally underrated. Good technique in both disciplines takes exceptional coordination allied with immense physical strength.

Think he could go onto D1 or is he targeting success in D2?
He's about my height a shade under 6' but 17 stone of muscle. Trains 4 hours every day. 2 in the gym,the other 2 on the event(s) he is taking part in. Eats like a horse. 5 times a day.
D2 for now, we also like the college he is attending as it good academically aswell.
At some of the meets he is throwing against D1 competition so that's good,Notre Dame,Ohio State,FSU,UGA.....etc.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Paul Chuckle with Jay Z at the boxing.......Image