Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by ageing hammer »

FreeWheeling wrote:Second grandchild is on the way in 6 months :scarfer:

Congrats to you mate
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

DasNutNock wrote: That's a Viz advert, surely?
You'd think so wouldn't you, but I can absolutely 100% swear that it's genuine.
http://www.bradford.co.uk/dianabag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I cannot express how much seeing old Ceefax/Teletext scores reminds me of my childhood.

Can still see the living room and feel the warmth of the radiator, nuclear hum from the TV as I waited for the page to change.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I cannot express how much seeing old Ceefax/Teletext scores reminds me of my childhood.

Can still see the living room and feel the warmth of the radiator, nuclear hum from the TV as I waited for the page to change.

young rars
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Years ago when Ceefax was in its infancy and televisions didn't incorporate it, a chap called J.F. Daniels designed a stand alone decoder, and its construction and theory appeared over several issues in Wireless World. I'm proud to say Jim was my immediate supervisor at work for a few years and an all round good chap, even if he did have a brain the size of a planet.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

The QI Elves‏Verified account @qikipedia 5m5 minutes ago

Julie Amiri could only reach orgasm by being arrested. She was detained 53 times for shoplifting from 1985 to 1993 but was never convicted.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Years ago when Ceefax was in its infancy and televisions didn't incorporate it, a chap called J.F. Daniels designed a stand alone decoder, and its construction and theory appeared over several issues in Wireless World. I'm proud to say Jim was my immediate supervisor at work for a few years and an all round good chap, even if he did have a brain the size of a planet.
In the mid-eighties some of the guys I worked with came from a company that used to manufacture standalone boxes for ceefax and teletext. We had systems to generate test pages in our labs that they had brought with them. I can remember building standalone boxes and using them for several years at home.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I cannot express how much seeing old Ceefax/Teletext scores reminds me of my childhood.

Me too. I can remember the spare room in my mum's gaff which I used to watch the results come in for away games.

As a side note, I'm quite clued up on the technology behind Ceefax. It was all Perl based and the results used to come in via xml feeds from the Press Association. A few really strange blokes used to write the application that journalists would use to write the match reports and I remember the day it was switched off, never to return again.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1322 likes

Post by davids cross »

Yeah...

We've mentioned this before. But,

I used to use the TV remote (by holding it up in my eye line) and or sometimes a strategically placed towel to hide the name of West Ham and our score.

I would then very gently use my hand to cover the opponents name, without looking :D ......and slowly reveal their score. My hope is that would still be nil.

Then, it got really exciting because I knew, at the very least we were not losing.

And then I could, with some excitement reveal our own score, either from behind my remote, or towel or other hand.

I soooo miss doing it.....Image

Derby.......0-1.... West Ham
...........................Cottee (39)

Yes....Image
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Getting lots of free veg - onions, potatoes, Beetroot, sweetcorn, Courgettes etc - and cooking them at home only for them to taste bloody amazing. Best mashed pots and baked beetroot I've had in a while.

oh and after waking up in the morning, performing your absolutions, looking down in the pan to see blood red pee and poo, having a total moment of total panic, thinking I have rectal and urethral bleeding... only to realise that I had three baked beetroot the night before.

Relax and smile :)
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Someone told me a while back that the reason why people say 'be there or be squared' is because you wouldn't be around.

It blew my mind
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

The Purple Bricks advert when they're doing pottery......
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2611 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

An advert that makes me chuckle is the Ladbrokes ad where after scoring a goal, the team celebration is a performance of a fish being reeled in .... the chap who is in the role of the fish is hilarious!!!
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Reviews of this West Ham golf umbrella

* Internal workings fell apart on second use, on a rainy but not very windy day. Perhaps correct name should be an Andy Carroll umbrella.

***** Excellent protection. If only the team's defence was as effective. ;)
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

A lone Spitfire (a Griffon engined version as all Merlin's are grounded) followed by a B-17 and then the finale of the Red Arrows (smoke on) flying over the house this afternoon.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

davids cross wrote: I used to use the TV remote (by holding it up in my eye line) and or sometimes a strategically placed towel to hide the name of West Ham and our score.

I would then very gently use my hand to cover the opponents name, without looking :D ......and slowly reveal their score. My hope is that would still be nil.

Then, it got really exciting because I knew, at the very least we were not losing.

And then I could, with some excitement reveal our own score, either from behind my remote, or towel or other hand.
You are not as other men really, are you?
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

delbert wrote:The Purple Bricks advert when they're doing pottery......
Just the best,isn't it.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I found an old VHS of the 1991 cup game(s) vs Aldershot the other day. Really gave me a warm glow to see some of those players again, but quite shock just how much things have changed. After all these years, I couldn't get my head around the idea of seeing only two subs!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

the celestial insect wrote:I found an old VHS of the 1991 cup game(s) vs Aldershot the other day. Really gave me a warm glow to see some of those players again, but quite shock just how much things have changed. After all these years, I couldn't get my head around the idea of seeing only two subs!
I was at that home game (I seem to recall both were played at P ??)

Great days, now sadly gone forever.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I remember, we used to get trained by Dean Coney at West Ham on a Monday night back then.

I'm pretty sure he played in those games and I think he even scored.

Edit - it was Farnborough, not Aldershot.