Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by -DL- »

Prepping the wife's car for it's MOT. Supporting bracket for perfectly functioning back box had rusted through and broken, but entire back box replaced for less than 60 quid DIY, including a tube of gun gum and a joining clamp. Yes, you can pick them up cheaper on eBay, but at least by going to pick it up from Euro Car Parts down the road, any issues are simple to remedy.

6 years old, and only work ever needing doing has been the exhaust as mentioned, and replacement brake pads, plus the usual tyres, wiper blades etc which are still all good.

Appears all tickity-boo, so should be good for another year.

Nice sense of satisfaction, that.

I do like the 107/C1/Aygo's. Cheap, functional cars that, so far, are simple, hassle free motoring, and so easy to work on if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

KUMB has made me smile this morning and is helping me through a hangover .... in no particular order TOMoS’ travels to London, a post by wilf appreciating a Bendy/Elsie exchange and JBB/Cambridge working out how to beat the world record for swimming. Thanks to you all!!
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Walking back from a stroll with the Mrs and little 'un, and waiting at a pelican crossing when a group of blokes that have just come out from the pub stand with us.

The light goes red, and a cyclist decides to ignore it as we're crossing, and timed to perfection, one of the blokes, who was a fairly hefty fella, somehow grabs the cyclists top, drags him from his bike, which carried on down the road for a short distance, dumped him on the deck, dragged him to the side of the road, and gave him a little lesson on traffic light etiquette.

I'm pretty sure said cyclist won't be jumping any red lights for a while.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Driving to the Collier row carnival with my beautiful daughter, girlfriend (not daughters mum) and my younger brother, my 3 favourite people in the world. Since I split up with my daughters mum last year times have been hard but these 3 have really helped me through it, the girls met today for the first time and got on great and my brother was the top man he always is, just a fantastic Sunday.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good stuff, Moxy.

:)
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I have the week off work, the weather is set to be good, and my wife found a bottle of Hendricks gin in the cupboard when we had a clean up!.

Looking forward to a week with my one year old daughter and loads planned for the week with my brother's wife and kids. He even managed to get Thursday off so we are having a trip up to Duxford.

I set my out of office on and deleted all work emails from my phone. Briefed my boss that I will be deleting everything that comes in so if it is that urgent/directly important to me, to re-send it when I return.

I really can't wait. So much so that my wife and I nearly forgot it is our 2nd anniversary today. So with my daughter in nursery we are going out for a rare lunch out with just the two of us (Miller and Carter,so a lovely fillet steak!).

:scarfer:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I walked around the corner outside my house this morning to discover the bus stop is "out of service" for some reason or other - looks like some road works are about to begin - just as the bus came.

Luckily the bus driver saw me, saw the bus stop, but decided to stop for me anyway.

Common sense prevailing feels like a rare occurrence these days.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Paulo Lopes. Benfica's 40-year old third choice goalkeeper.

He's just retired having played 11 games in 13 seasons for the club, winning 12 trophies
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

FreeWheeling wrote:Paulo Lopes. Benfica's 40-year old third choice goalkeeper.

He's just retired having played 11 games in 13 seasons for the club, winning 12 trophies
Thats class. :thup:

He's not another of these fake footballers is he?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

To counter one on the 'irritate' thread: Being given tea (Turkish stylee) by the barber yesterday. Simple but nice.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

vietnammer wrote:To counter one on the 'irritate' thread: Being given tea (Turkish stylee) by the barber yesterday. Simple but nice.
The thought of tea without milk filled me with horror until I tried Turkish tea for the first time (in the USA of all places). It's OK and tastes nicer than I expected but I couldn't drink it all the time.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote:
Common sense prevailing feels like a rare occurrence these days.
It may seem like common sense - however, when a stop gets hooded by the Area Network Controller, the TFL jobsworths in Centre Comm, which is the main bus control centre for the whole of London, have a habit of watching the cameras and then sending an officials report to the operating company's garage if a bus serves it and the driver can get put on a disciplinary.

In effect, a lot of the time, we're not allowed to use a bit of common sense in case we get hauled in.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't like the bloke, but he knows how wind people up, the bosses at TalkSport must love him.

He actually makes a good point too.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wGQdR2rf_Io" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

:lol: ^^^ in the words of Inspector Blakey ... "That's made my day that has".
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The SportItalia twitter feed. Image
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

In the last few weeks, three separate people, including my ex-boss who is a twat and Mrs SBH, have said to me: "We are going to do [a task]. And I'm using the "Royal We" meaning you're going to do it."

Normally errors like that would go in the Things That Irritate You thread, but this one makes me laugh, probably because I first heard it from my ex-boss, who is a twat.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Putting the aircon back in the loft. My energy supplier won't be so pleased, though.
The rain. Thank God for some rain! The allotment & garden couldn't be happier.
Knowing that, in exactly one week from now, I'll be on the autoroute, heading for Cognac region.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

pablo jaye wrote:KUMB has made me smile this morning and is helping me through a hangover .... in no particular order TOMoS’ travels to London, a post by wilf appreciating a Bendy/Elsie exchange and JBB/Cambridge working out how to beat the world record for swimming. Thanks to you all!!
Wilf is back? :scarfer:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I saw an absolute sort earlier on walking down the road carrying two rather large looking cucumbers and what looked like a knowing smile on her face.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:I saw an absolute sort earlier on walking down the road carrying two rather large looking cucumbers and what looked like a knowing smile on her face.
One in the pink, one in the stink? Dirty B*TCH!