Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by DasNutNock »

Been thinking about buying some more power tools (angle grinder & circular saw) for a while, but not found stuff at the price I want to pay. Got an email from Aldi this morning with both on sale for absolute buttons. God bless the internet!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

DasNutNock wrote:Been thinking about buying some more power tools (angle grinder & circular saw) for a while, but not found stuff at the price I want to pay. Got an email from Aldi this morning with both on sale for absolute buttons. God bless the internet!
Just bought a soldering iron and some ratchet spanners from Aldi. Great quality for the price. :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bloke at the office sneered and told me I should've bought the Makita equivalent, which was 5 times the price. If I was going to use it every day, I might have, but for a simple bathroom refit it will be perfect.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

DasNutNock wrote:Bloke at the office sneered and told me I should've bought the Makita equivalent, which was 5 times the price. If I was going to use it every day, I might have, but for a simple bathroom refit it will be perfect.
Dan there's a lot of "Tool Snobbery" with in some circles (especially in the construction game where I've worked) as well as some DIY'ers and certain brands are frowned upon by some contractors/users.

Basically if you turn up on site with tools that are not Makita, Dewalt, Bosh (as a minimum) or that level you will probably get sneered atand cop a lot of flack. If you turned up with Milwaukee, you will have a rep to live up to as a decent chippie or whatever, as they are top of the range and top dollar, and your work will be heavily scrutinised.

However, you have done exactly the right thing and the "bloke at the office" is a total newb. For light, part time use or one off projects, cheaper drills/impact drivers and the like are more than sufficient to do the job as you've described.

One thing though: don't be tempted to buy cheap batteries etc from China. A bloke I worked with had a dodgy battery blow up out of the re=charger and smash into the ceiling - twice!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Nice one, cheers for that WHUI. Thought I was doing the right thing, nice to have some confirmation. As for batteries, I bought mains tools this time, thinking I'd be able to get away with an extension cable when I'm using them. Might need to upgrade to 18/20v battery kit in the future, but I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

As for professional tool snobbery, that does sound a bit lame, but I guess if you're using them to make a living, it makes sense to invest in quality gear. Just googled Milkwaukee kit - very nice, no doubts there, but I don't imagine it'd make my tragic DIY efforts any less tragic :)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote:Basically if you turn up on site with tools that are not Makita, Dewalt, Bosh (as a minimum) or that level you will probably get sneered atand cop a lot of flack.
You can add Snap-On to that list too. Honestly, some of the prices they charge for what are basic tools is insane. For example, a simple socket set is going for £400 (!!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-on-17-Pi ... 2548.l4275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would settle (as do many mechanics) for Halford's own brand which IMO are prefectly adequate for the job and you get a lot more for your money too. TENG tools are also worth a shout, although slightly more expensive than Halford's. If you're a proffesional mechanic, then maybe there's a case for buying Snap-On but for the everyday amateur there's no reason to shell out a whole lot more for tools.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I must admit seeing Richard Branson's Caribbean house flattened by a hurricane brought a smile to my face
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Puff Daddy wrote:I must admit seeing Richard Branson's Caribbean house flattened by a hurricane brought a smile to my face
Apparently he blames Brexit for this. :o
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Apparently he blames Brexit for this. :o
His soon blames man made climate change. Good job his dad doesn't own an airline or anything.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Another vote for Halfords tools, specifically their Professional range. Like Snap-On they come with a lifetime guarantee, unlike Snap-On they want to see the receipt which seems a bit odd for a lifetime guarantee but there you go.

As for power tools, I find diy chain own brands and similar are fine for the intermittent use they get chez Boots, brands such as Wickes, Clarke (Machine Mart) and Red Devil.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

blokes comparing their tools :D

(you'd better be all white though or it ain't funny anymore)
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

A customer of mine gave me a bunch of Festool stuff. I was thinking "oh nice, i like the boxes", and then i googled the prices. **** me.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Whoever writes the headlines for our local paper is a genius.

My favourite was "Dominatrix won't go down without a fight" but i can't find that one.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

God bless The Argus for putting a light hearted spin on such a serious world we live in. :thup:
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The curse of The Life of Brian

Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Another vote for Halfords tools, specifically their Professional range. Like Snap-On they come with a lifetime guarantee, unlike Snap-On they want to see the receipt which seems a bit odd for a lifetime guarantee but there you go.

As for power tools, I find diy chain own brands and similar are fine for the intermittent use they get chez Boots, brands such as Wickes, Clarke (Machine Mart) and Red Devil.
Take a photo of the receipt and store it on your computer. Do this with anything that has a long warranty and you won't lose your receipts.
matthewbd
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The curse of The Life of Brian

Brenda gets about.........(see "what have you won" thread for ref!)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I usually tape the receipt to the item in question, but photoing them is actually a great idea, I'll remember that.