Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by FreeWheeling »

Polaroid wrote:
Marvellous.
One more Hammer to add.
Bravo FW and all concerned.
Cheers , Granddaughter No1's first song was bubbles despite her father being a front wheel, much to his displeasure No2 will also go the same way :D
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I was on the train home from work the other night and a mum and toddler got on a Stratford. There were only a few seats left and none together so the guy opposite me moved to give the mum and son seats together.

The kid was an absolute delight, keeping himself amused and singing to himself. I couldn’t help but smile.

As the train pulled into Ilford the mum got up and the boy clambered down from his seat looked at me, waved and said “goodbye grandad”, turned to the guy who gave up his seat and said “goodbye daddie” and clutched his mum’s hand as he went down the carriage.

The guy who gave up his seat was a Sikh, I am white and you have probably guessed that the little boy was black. :D
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Mourinho: “I don't want to make a drama of it. That’s football, it is not the end of the world. I sit in this chair twice in the CL and knocked Man United out with Porto and Real Madrid so it is not something new for the club.”
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

^^^ Plus Man Utd going out in a whimper, cheered me right up :lol:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The office postponing a team meeting at the New York office, so I suddenly have next week free to actually do something useful :thup:
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Makes me laugh when IT companies ship people half way around the world for meetings
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:Makes me laugh when IT companies ship people half way around the world for meetings
Nuts, isn't it. We don't work like that on a day to day basis - why stick us all in a meeting room for a few days? My dad was incensed when I said I couldn't be arsed with it, implying that you can't form relationships with people over the phone & Skype, but he's been out of the game for 20 years, and has no idea how business is conducted any more - nor any vague idea what I actually do for a living.

I'd say it's far more important to know how to effectively work in a geographically dispersed environment than just about any other business relationship nowadays, in my line of work, at least. The septics still don't get it, thinking everything happens 9-5 EST.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Youngest son's first outdoor collegiate meet at the Georgia Tech Invitational this weekend. Some big schools in attendance, UGA, FSU, Texas A+M.
Yesterday he came 5th in the hammer which is his weakest event, this morning 2nd in the shot put and this afternoon 1st in the discus ! One proud Dad.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Vince wrote:Youngest son's first outdoor collegiate meet at the Georgia Tech Invitational this weekend. Some big schools in attendance, UGA, FSU, Texas A+M.
Yesterday he came 5th in the hammer which is his weakest event, this morning 2nd in the shot put and this afternoon 1st in the discus ! One proud Dad.
****ing hell. What does he weigh? What are his gym stats?
Vince

Post by Vince »

He weighs approx. 121 kilos and is a shade under 6' feet tall. Solid muscle.
Some of these blokes though Dan are 4th/5th year seniors so a year or two older than him (he's a Junior) and these guys are 6'3" - 6-6" 150-160 kilos. Power helps but speed and technique is very important in these events.
I've text him for his gym stat's. They are very impressive, he's the strongest in the team by far.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Vince wrote:He weighs approx. 121 kilos and is a shade under 6' feet tall. Solid muscle.
Some of these blokes though Dan are 4th/5th year seniors so a year or two older than him (he's a Junior) and these guys are 6'3" - 6-6" 150-160 kilos. Power helps but speed and technique is very important in these events.
I've text him for his gym stat's. They are very impressive, he's the strongest in the team by far.
For those of us who weigh in English, that's around 19 stone
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

150kg??? They taking something on their breakfast cereal, do you think, or are they just the product of training and consuming vast mountains of chicken & beef?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Is he a likely scholarship kid, then? Is he a pure field athlete or does he wrestle or play ball as well?
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

This piss taking Newcastle fan

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/03/sunder ... le-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunderland lose to Preston and Newcastle fan (wearing shirt) wins half-time crossbar challenge – How bad can it get…?

Sunderland suffer: “To top it off a bloke in Newcastle kit won crossbar challenge at HT and did a lap of the pitch celebrating like Shearer"
:lol:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Repairing stuff. This weekend was a pedal bin and a punctured tyre on the running buggy. Desperate to find something else to fix now, feel like I’m on a roll...
Vince

Post by Vince »

DasNutNock wrote:150kg??? They taking something on their breakfast cereal, do you think, or are they just the product of training and consuming vast mountains of chicken & beef?
Vast amounts of food for the majority Dan, but for sure some kids are on enhancements.
Vince

Post by Vince »

DasNutNock wrote:Is he a likely scholarship kid, then? Is he a pure field athlete or does he wrestle or play ball as well?
Yes he's on a scholarship. He just does track and field, indoor season and then outdoor takes up the year.
He did play American football as a linebacker but busted his shoulder up and had to have surgery 5 years ago. His Mum was worried about the permanent effect it would have on his body if he played again,
He's only being doing track and field by chance, as the High School knew he was quick and strong and they needed someone to help out with the discus as they were a man short. First year he got in State, second year he broke a 1965 school record. He now holds the college's indoor and outdoor shot put record and is going for the discus record this year.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Blimey - if he can be competitive at that level, fair play to him. And yes, keeping him away from brain trauma is probably a good idea. Very impressive stuff :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

There's an original 45 on sale on ebay at the moment by the Drifters (the Shadows) that can be got for £19.99 on discogs - someone's just bid £82. :o

There's a couple of Who/Floyd LPs on there that are currently topping £120 a piece with a day to go.
Vince

Post by Vince »

DasNutNock wrote: ****ing hell. What does he weigh? What are his gym stats?
Bench 435 lbs, Squat 605 lbs and Hang Clean 315 lbs.