Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Hammers Dad on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?
Hammers Dad

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Hammers Dad wrote:Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?

Even spiders need somewhere to put their make-up on .

You'll find it was a female spider or one of those modern metrosexual spiders you're hearing more and more about these days - I bet you found a little spider make-up bag spun on to the wing mirror didn't you ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Hammers Dad wrote:Every car I have owned has had a spider living in the wing mirror....why?

Do you reckon it’s the same one?
DasNutNock

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 pm

DasNutNock wrote:

On reflection no
ageing hammer

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 am

DasNutNock wrote:

Not sure, I'll ask next time I see it.
My daughter has one too in her mirror
Hammers Dad

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 am

ageing hammer wrote:
On reflection no

Good work.
Monkeybubbles

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 am

I have a spider on my right wing mirror too. As it's our secondary car I don't get it cleaned as often as I should but they always come back after a day or two. My parking space at work is under a tree and in front of bushes so they must get in from there.

If it was on the left mirror it wouldn't be as bad but being my side the webbage (Yes, I'm sticking with that word!) Encroaches when I open the window. I just wipe it all off with my hand now. I'll let the little bugger claim the free rent.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Samba on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Always amazes me when they're still there after a blast on a motorway.
That's some hanging on..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 am

Are there any land borders around the world where you go from driving on the right to on the left (or vice versa)?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby sendô on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am

Yes plenty. Thailand drives on the left and is surrounded by right driving countries.

I think there's generally cross over roads/bridges on busier roads, and just changing signs on smaller roads.
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:28 am

Samba wrote:Always amazes me when they're still there after a blast on a motorway.
That's some hanging on..

Spider's silk that they use to make their webs is amazing stuff. It's is five times stronger than steel of the same diameter and the tighter it is pulled, the stronger it gets. The most amazing thing about spider webs is that their design is such that if one strand breaks anywhere, the web remains intact and isn't weakened one bit.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby ageing hammer on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

I was going to Dublin to catch a flight and my missus mislaid the train tickets. You cannot reprint them at the ticket machine and you cannot get more at the ticket desk either. The only option was to book more tickets and we ended up sitting across from our original seats that we had already paid for. We were lucky there was seats left as if we missed that train we missed our flight to Italy.

We could prove we had bought them as we had a receipt and email confirmation but no way will they leave you on the train without the ticket.

You can reprint a boarding pass for a plane ride so why can't you reprint a train ticket :eh:
ageing hammer

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:35 pm

ageing hammer wrote:Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

I was going to Dublin to catch a flight and my missus mislaid the train tickets. You cannot reprint them at the ticket machine and you cannot get more at the ticket desk either. The only option was to book more tickets and we ended up sitting across from our original seats that we had already paid for. We were lucky there was seats left as if we missed that train we missed our flight to Italy.

We could prove we had bought them as we had a receipt and email confirmation but no way will they leave you on the train without the ticket.

You can reprint a boarding pass for a plane ride so why can't you reprint a train ticket :eh:

Planes have allocated seating. There cannot be more passengers than there are seats.
Trains don't, so it would be possible for someone to sell/give their tickets to someone else, and then rock up with their receipt/email and say that they lost them.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby ageing hammer on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 pm

ageing hammer wrote:Why can't you reprint train tickets ( in Ireland not sure in UK )

Planes have allocated seating. There cannot be more passengers than there are seats.
Trains don't, so it would be possible for someone to sell/give their tickets to someone else, and then rock up with their receipt/email and say that they lost them.
WHU_Del wrote:

But my seats were allocated even had our names on the display above them, it was ridiculous seeing our names on two sets of seats and no one allowed sit in one pair of them. ( including us ) :D
ageing hammer

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:09 am

If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.
Monkeybubbles

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.

A woman scorned any size it don't matter your ****ed
ageing hammer

Postby WHU_Del on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm

ageing hammer wrote:But my seats were allocated even had our names on the display above them, it was ridiculous seeing our names on two sets of seats and no one allowed sit in one pair of them. ( including us ) :D

Well, let's say me and the missus come and visit you and we decide to take a trip on the train.
You buy a pair of tickets, then give them to us. You keep the receipt and the email.
We all get on the train, we sit in the seats for Mr & Mrs Ageing, you sit somewhere else.
The guard comes along, we show our tickets, 'Thank you, Mr & Mrs Ageing' and then he goes down the train.
When he gets to you, you say 'Sorry, we lost our tickets, but I did pay, look here's the receipt and the email'.
If the guard doesn't charge you for new tickets, you travel for free.
Now I'm sure that you are an honest, upstanding citizen and wouldn't do that, but unfortunately plenty of people do.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby uptonparkhurst on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:If scaled up (or down) to the size of a person, which animal would be the most terrifying? I'm thinking maybe a spider, or an ant, or your mum.

Take your pick:
https://listverse.com/2010/08/09/10-formidable-predatory-insects/
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby Samba on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Are there any land borders around the world where you go from driving on the right to on the left (or vice versa)?

I heard once that an HGV came off of the Woolwich Ferry & thought he had just re-entered continental Europe..think that he hit someone shortly after. :(
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby delbert on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm

I've booked train tickets for the wrong date, the hassle trying to get that sorted out is unreal........
delbert

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug