Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Upminster Hammer on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Is it illegal to create/make up a quote to give to a company that said they will try and match anything else that I can find?
Upminster Hammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Don't know if it is iffy UH but I do it all the time

Getting new tyres on the motor is a must as some of the mark up is right up there
FreeWheeling

Postby Upminster Hammer on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:34 pm

What if I'm actually editing a quote?
Upminster Hammer

Postby RayleighIrons on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm

**** it UH, I've done it loads with holidays. Don't be a pussy and edit away. 8-)
RayleighIrons

Postby Upminster Hammer on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Haha! Ok done!
Upminster Hammer

Postby Mr P on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Upminster Hammer wrote:What if I'm actually editing a quote?

Fraud by false representation, section 2 Fraud Act 2006. Either way offence, max 10 years imprisonment
Mr P

Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Postby Czech Hammer on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:36 pm

pablo jaye wrote:.... why are there often a number of blank pages at the end of books - in this case they are paperbacks.

Because the books are not printed onto the page sizes as you see finished in the book.

Pages are printed on a sheet of bigger paper up with 8 - 16 other pages.

The bigger sheets are then folded, bound and then the folded edges are cut off allowing the pages to turn freely.

If the book is not in total multiples of 8 (ish) this will result in the amount of blanks at the end of the book.
Czech Hammer

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am

FreeWheeling wrote:
Getting new tyres on the motor is a must as some of the mark up is right up there

Wouldn't that be a different thread 8-)
ageing hammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Dinosaurs - they were generally fookin' massive. Why don't we get anything that size anymore? The only really huge creature we have is the Whale.

The largest Dinosaur was the Titanosaur, which was 130ft long! Blue Whales can get to about 100ft.
Cockneyboy311

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Dinosaurs - they were generally fookin' massive. Why don't we get anything that size anymore? The only really huge creature we have is the Whale.

The largest Dinosaur was the Titanosaur, which was 130ft long! Blue Whales can get to about 100ft.

Cos Noah never put anything that big on the Ark. Come on mate, everyone knows that 8-)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Dinosaurs - they were generally fookin' massive. Why don't we get anything that size anymore? The only really huge creature we have is the Whale.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Cos Noah never put anything that big on the Ark. Come on mate, everyone knows that 8-)

somerset-hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Sea creatures were always going to be bigger - they can rely on the water to keep them supported, unlike land animals, which cannot.

I think that the primary theory why they were bigger in the past is that there was a lot more oxygen in the air back then, which allowed for more massive lifeforms.
DasNutNock

Postby warp on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I think that the primary theory why they were bigger in the past is that there was a lot more oxygen in the air back then, which allowed for more massive lifeforms.

that was mostly said about insects, which have a less efficient respiratory system and would then suffer more from oxygen levels dropping.
however it is noted that today's insect aren't limited to their size by oxygen, they could technically be bigger with current oxygen rates.

maybe evolution is trending towards more compact life forms, or this is just a temporary anomaly of the epoch we're living in: the vast majority of animals ever existed is extinct, so comparing today's animals to all the extinct ones is a bit unbalanced.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby sendô on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Why did they make the emergency number 999 when that was the number that took the longest to dial?
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:01 pm

sendô wrote:Why did they make the emergency number 999 when that was the number that took the longest to dial?

unashamedly copied from the web:

Before the introduction of the 999 service all calls were routed to a manual board operator. The operator could not differentiate whether an incoming call was an emergency until the call was answered. After several fatalities it was decided to separate emergency calls from normal operator calls. There are several reasons for using 999. Firstly the automatic exchanges in the 6 major cities, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool could only route calls comprising 3 or 7 codes. The only exception to this were calls to the operator - see below. The exchanges would translate the codes to allow routing of the calls. The code 999 was used to allow free calls to the emergency services from coinboxes (payphones). The dials of coinboxes were already modified to allow free calls to the operator using the digit '0'. The next easiest digit to modify on the dial was the 9 - next to 0. Finally as the code was translated for routing the call, the digits used were basically unimportant. The call set up time between 111 and 999 is insignificant.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby warp on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 pm

am i hallucinating because of the heat (most probable), or there has been an earthquake somewhere in europe in the past few minutes?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby ageing hammer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:43 pm

warp wrote:am i hallucinating because of the heat (most probable), or there has been an earthquake somewhere in europe in the past few minutes?

Your mum enjoyed it :D
ageing hammer

Postby BromleyHammer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 pm

In modern cricket, why do all spin bowlers wear long sleeves
BromleyHammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 pm

BromleyHammer wrote:In modern cricket, why do all spin bowlers wear long sleeves

I think it may be used by some to mask a chuck of the ball. if they umpire can't see the elbow, it's harder to make a decision on whether the ball is chucked or not.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Sea creatures were always going to be bigger - they can rely on the water to keep them supported, unlike land animals, which cannot.

I think that the primary theory why they were bigger in the past is that there was a lot more oxygen in the air back then, which allowed for more massive lifeforms.

Thank you for your sensible reply Dan.
Cockneyboy311

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug