Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby southbrishammer on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:05 pm

What's the deal with all the speed cameras on 'managed' motorways?

- Do they operate 24 hours a day, or only when there is a restriction less than 70mph in place?
- If the restriction is, say, 40mph, do they adjust to record people going over 40, or do they stick at 70 i.e. is the restriction on the signs advisory or compulsory?
- Do they actually nick everybody caught going over the speed limit, or just the top x%? I've never been caught, although I'm sure I've driven through quite a few above the limit shown, hence my curiosity
- Do all the cameras operate, or are any of them dummies, and if so, can you tell which?
User avatar
southbrishammer
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 am
Location: South Bris

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 am

southbrishammer wrote:What's the deal with all the speed cameras on 'managed' motorways?

- Do they operate 24 hours a day, or only when there is a restriction less than 70mph in place?
- If the restriction is, say, 40mph, do they adjust to record people going over 40, or do they stick at 70 i.e. is the restriction on the signs advisory or compulsory?
- Do they actually nick everybody caught going over the speed limit, or just the top x%? I've never been caught, although I'm sure I've driven through quite a few above the limit shown, hence my curiosity
- Do all the cameras operate, or are any of them dummies, and if so, can you tell which?


They only work when restrictions are in place. I’ve done just under a ton on my bike on a clear M25 at night and not been flashed when there’s no restrictions in place. When there are restrictions, they are set to whatever the restriction is. There’s a percentage allowed depending on the speed restriction but yes, they do work. As do the average speed cameras which I got by this year. The restriction was 50mph and I got done for doing on avaerage 57mph. I was told that they start prosecuting at 57mph.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 12674
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 pm

On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

The only time you seem to get a clean run seems to be between the hours of about 22:00 and 04:00.
User avatar
Eggs'n'nuts
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

I’ve never ever been able to work that one out. There’s quite a lot of traffic going from four lanes into three around there so that might explain partly but as you say, there’s no obvious reason for it. Doesn’t bother me when I’m on the bike, in the car, it’s infuriating.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 12674
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby sendô on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

The only time you seem to get a clean run seems to be between the hours of about 22:00 and 04:00.

Congestion around Heathrow.

The other bad bit is the run up to the Dartford Tunnel anticlockwise, which is always slow regardless of day, time or accidents due to the tunnel, too many junctions in a short space of road and a generally poor road layout (short sliproads etc).
User avatar
sendô
 
Posts: 23479
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

The only time you seem to get a clean run seems to be between the hours of about 22:00 and 04:00.


Concertina or shockwave effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M
User avatar
hammerdivone
 
Posts: 21077
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:55 pm
Location: Somewhere between here and reality

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 am

Cheers sendô and HD1.

I get and understand the knock-on effects, but I do find it strange is there's two lanes to exit for the M3 (for a mile) and J11 isn't any sort of major exit/entry by any stretch of the imagination; it goes to Woking for Christ sake!

The one thing that doesn't really help is the fact that once it starts to snarl up just before J12, you get c***s shooting down the right hand exit lane and then cutting in (maybe one for the irritation thread).
User avatar
Eggs'n'nuts
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby view from the shires on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:47 pm

With regard to speeding you used to be allowed to go 10% over the limit to allow for "speedo error".
User avatar
view from the shires
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Who is Jinxed?
User avatar
westham,eggyandchips
 
Posts: 11437
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Shake for me girl, I wanna be your backdoor man!

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby ageing hammer on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:16 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Who is Jinxed?


Us most of the time :oops:
User avatar
ageing hammer
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 am
Location: Kumb along for the craic

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby warp on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:21 pm

^ Image
User avatar
warp
 
Posts: 11630
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

How is yawning contagious.
User avatar
ageing hammer
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 am
Location: Kumb along for the craic

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby WHU_Del on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:14 pm

ageing hammer wrote:How is yawning contagious.

Primeval reaction.
Someone yawns because they're tired. Yawning means they'll take in more oxygen. You brain says 'Hey, that guy's taking in more oxygen. I need to take in more oxygen too so I don't suffocate', so it makes you yawn as well.
User avatar
WHU_Del
 
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:42 pm

I bet not many have read the word "yawn" and not yawned.
User avatar
RichieRiv
 
Posts: 14420
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Location: http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 am

RichieRiv wrote:I bet not many have read the word "yawn" and not yawned.


I just yawned reading this :D
User avatar
ageing hammer
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 am
Location: Kumb along for the craic

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby BalaamBoy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Probably because it's a bit dull . . . .

Nothing Pavlovian about it.
BalaamBoy
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby warp on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

ageing hammer wrote:How is yawning contagious.

mirror neurons!
User avatar
warp
 
Posts: 11630
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby 1875Hammer on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm

view from the shires wrote:With regard to speeding you used to be allowed to go 10% over the limit to allow for "speedo error".


Used to be 10% plus 2 before prosecution. Any less and every defence lawyer would ask for cameras and handheld devices called into question.
1875Hammer
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 am

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Maroonmachine on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 pm

So Haribo or was it Harambo, became full of lead...due to nuclear fission or because they shot him?

All very confusing
User avatar
Maroonmachine
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:16 am

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
They only work when restrictions are in place. I’ve done just under a ton on my bike on a clear M25 at night and not been flashed when there’s no restrictions in place. When there are restrictions, they are set to whatever the restriction is. There’s a percentage allowed depending on the speed restriction but yes, they do work. As do the average speed cameras which I got by this year. The restriction was 50mph and I got done for doing on avaerage 57mph. I was told that they start prosecuting at 57mph.


Ooo 57 is harsh, they are normally set to 58 . 10% + 2 is the lower end , depending on the force.
as for the other cameras, they are now all the new HADECS cameras, can do 5 lanes in one camera, controlled by a central base, set to a 60 second delay between the sign change and when they start to nick speeders
FreeWheeling
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Behind the away goal at the Camrose

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigcarpchaser, Hammers Dad, WCW66 and 14 guests