Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by S-H »

southbrishammer wrote:The phrase 'as sweet as a nut' - what's that about? As far as I know, nuts are oily and taste like polystyrene, but aren't sweet. Am I missing something?
Unless, it's referring to one of those perfectly connected headbutts..
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Which got me thinking, to our religious members, how do you define/view heaven?
That brings up another conundrum. If Satan is all things evil and the master of darkness, why would he punish people who do evil things? Surely they'd be his homies and if you do end up there, he'd welcome you at the gates of hell with crates of beer, a wheelbarrow full of Columbian and a fire-breathing brass or two. Or am I getting it wrong?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

delbert wrote:Why can't we decimalise time? 10 hours in day, 100 minutes in a hour etc? We could extend it to include some elements of the calender, have 10 days in a week so we only have 36 Monday mornings.........
The French did, during the revolution. Floreal, Prairial, Brumaire, Fruimaire and all that. Napoleon abolished it after he became Emporer, because it was a bit ****.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Everything should be decimalised, especially time. And we should only have one time zone - ours. We invented time. Everyone else should have to pay us to use it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
That brings up another conundrum. If Satan is all things evil and the master of darkness, why would he punish people who do evil things? Surely they'd be his homies and if you do end up there, he'd welcome you at the gates of hell with crates of beer, a wheelbarrow full of Columbian and a fire-breathing brass or two. Or am I getting it wrong?
In regards to getting it wrong, you must be, but I'm liking it :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
I never thought of it that way , so , either way we can't go wrong , both Hitler and Mother Theresa are having a good time . Those Calvinists were right after all .
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:That brings up another conundrum. If Satan is all things evil and the master of darkness, why would he punish people who do evil things? Surely they'd be his homies and if you do end up there, he'd welcome you at the gates of hell with crates of beer, a wheelbarrow full of Columbian and a fire-breathing brass or two. Or am I getting it wrong?
satan himself is a sadistic mother******, so whilst he may appreciate your evil ways, he's still going to f*** you in the arse. he'd do it to the good ones, but those are already picked up.

what really annoys me is the god/satan collusion. enemies my arse, they just split the loot. c****.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I never thought of it that way , so , either way we can't go wrong , both Hitler and Mother Theresa are having a good time . Those Calvinists were right after all .
If you hear Christopher Hitchen's take on Mother Theresa then she'd also be in hell too. He was scathing in his criticism of her, saying she was sadistic, evil and bordering on insane.
"Mother Teresa is less interested in helping the poor than in using them as an indefatigable source of wretchedness on which to fuel the expansion of her fundamentalist Roman Catholic beliefs."
Check this out ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Which got me thinking, to our religious members, how do you define/view heaven?
You rang?

Heaven is a spirit realm where angels and God can only exist.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:That brings up another conundrum. If Satan is all things evil and the master of darkness, why would he punish people who do evil things? Surely they'd be his homies and if you do end up there, he'd welcome you at the gates of hell with crates of beer, a wheelbarrow full of Columbian and a fire-breathing brass or two. Or am I getting it wrong?
He hates all humans. Has done for a long time. The real question is if God created everything, would he really create a hell for people to be punished for eternity? Especially when you look at the scripture 1 John 4:8. the last part reads “God is love.”
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Despite knowing the age of the planet, all about dinosaurs and evolution, and how many billions of galaxies are out there why do we still bother with religion? I say scrap the lot and start at year 1 again!

If there was a god or a sweet baby Jesus then they have had the last 2018 years to do something and show us their existence, but we have had nothing but a story book about it. Probably written by a bunch of nonces to keep people in order and tell them how they will go to hell if they step out of line while they fiddled kids much like they do today!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I did Huggy, thank you, by the way, did an angel get their wings when I rang? :D

Sooo, people that go to heaven all become angels then?
prince_huggy

Post by prince_huggy »

That's a very good question and one I'd love to answer but don't want to take over this thread with religion and the Bible.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

f*** everyone else, I am genuinely interested :thup:

Plus I am seeing my mates kid at the weekend, I would like to give him a better answer than I did.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

claretandblue82 wrote:Despite knowing the age of the planet, all about dinosaurs and evolution, and how many billions of galaxies are out there why do we still bother with religion? I say scrap the lot and start at year 1 again!

If there was a god or a sweet baby Jesus then they have had the last 2018 years to do something and show us their existence, but we have had nothing but a story book about it. Probably written by a bunch of nonces to keep people in order and tell them how they will go to hell if they step out of line while they fiddled kids much like they do today!
In a nutshell :thup:
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

delbert wrote:Why can't we decimalise time? 10 hours in day, 100 minutes in a hour etc? We could extend it to include some elements of the calender, have 10 days in a week so we only have 36 Monday mornings.........
10 only has two factors - 2 & 5; base 12 has 2, 3, 4, & 6 which makes working with portions of a 12-based item rather easier. Multiply up 5 to get base-60 for minutes and you get factors of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 so fractions of minutes are easy to work with. Multiple up by 6 to get base-360 for degrees in a circle and you can add 45, 60, 90 & 180 as factors.

Multiply by base-10 by 5 or 10, you only add 10 as a factor. Multply by 100, you have 2, 4, 5, 10, 20, 25 & 50 which is getting better, but nowhere near what you get with base-60
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prince_huggy

Post by prince_huggy »

Clacton-ammer wrote:**** everyone else, I am genuinely interested :thup:

Plus I am seeing my mates kid at the weekend, I would like to give him a better answer than I did.
PM sent
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Do all banks have a room full of those little secure boxes that people in films store spare passports, handguns and diamonds in? And can anyone have one?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Considering the bible was stuck together about 400 years afterwards and the scribes chucked out things they didn't like..........

it's a wonder ANYONE believes it.....as a guide to do good it's fine......it should be titled:

The Dummies Guide On How To Be Good And Put The Fear Of The Unknown Into People.

(subtitled)

(and how to make a lifelong money grab off the back of it....)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

When did it become suitable business attire to wear a suit with slip on shoes and no socks?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

DasNutNock wrote:When did it become suitable business attire to wear a suit with slip on shoes and no socks?
It didn't, he is a ****