Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 am

IABATAC wrote:Why are DVD boxes bigger than CD boxes?

CDs are made from a single layer of plastic. DVDs are made from two layers bonded together. Consequently the 'hub' at the centre of a DVD is fairly weak and can be damaged by the holder in a CD case. That's why the cases have to be different. Not sure why they're bigger though. Guess it might be so that games DVDs can include a reasonable size printed manual and also so you can share storage with VHS.
Monkeybubbles

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Bumble Bees, come across 3 today looking worse for wear on the floor crawling like they have been on the piss all weekend, I did hear a while ago that they could be cold at this time of year, so I moved them into a sunny part of the car park, right or wrong move?
FreeWheeling

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Bumble Bees, come across 3 today looking worse for wear on the floor crawling like they have been on the piss all weekend, I did hear a while ago that they could be cold at this time of year, so I moved them into a sunny part of the car park, right or wrong move?

They're basically knackered. I've read articles that state you should try and give them a drink of sugary water to revive them:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-n ... m:9-224256
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Cheers chap :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Bumble Bees....

They're gonna get the right hump when they find out we call them that.
Monkeybubbles

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Whats the longest stretch of road in the UK between junctions/exits?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 pm

The longest section of motorway between junctions occurs on the M11. The distance between junction 8 and junction 9 is 15.2 miles (24.3 km). However, junction 9 only has northbound slip roads, and in a southbound direction there is an interrupted length of 17 miles (27.1 km) between junction 10 and junction 8.
DasNutNock

Postby Rocketron on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Bumble Bees, come across 3 today looking worse for wear on the floor crawling like they have been on the piss all weekend, I did hear a while ago that they could be cold at this time of year, so I moved them into a sunny part of the car park, right or wrong move?

Bumblebees hibernate in the soil, they have just woken up as it's been quite warm today.
Simply leave them where they are and they'll be fine.
Moving them into the sun will be beneficial.
Rocketron

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:22 pm

I never knew that, live and you learn :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby sendô on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

DasNutNock wrote:The longest section of motorway between junctions occurs on the M11. The distance between junction 8 and junction 9 is 15.2 miles (24.3 km). However, junction 9 only has northbound slip roads, and in a southbound direction there is an interrupted length of 17 miles (27.1 km) between junction 10 and junction 8.

Exciting, this thread isn't it?
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 am

Czech Hammer wrote:Why are cats so scared of cucumbers?

As everyone knows, almost all cats are Scottish and have a built in aversion to fruit and vegetables, just like their Scottish human counterparts. Hence the reason they're scared of cucumbers. Fruit and veg is like kryptonite to anybody North of the border.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby 1875Hammer on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:24 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:As everyone knows, almost all cats are Scottish and have a built in aversion to fruit and vegetables, just like their Scottish human counterparts. Hence the reason they're scared of cucumbers. Fruit and veg is like kryptonite to anybody North of the border.

You mean chips aren't vegetables?
1875Hammer

Postby vietnammer on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 am

DasNutNock wrote:The longest section of motorway between junctions occurs on the M11. The distance between junction 8 and junction 9 is 15.2 miles (24.3 km). However, junction 9 only has northbound slip roads, and in a southbound direction there is an interrupted length of 17 miles (27.1 km) between junction 10 and junction 8.

sendô wrote:Exciting, this thread isn't it?

Well it's given me a stalk on. Think the OP's question wasn't restricted to motorways. I imagine the longest roads without exits must be in the Scottish Highlands. I did cycle round them waaaaay back and what struck me was that some roads had large gates on i.e. they were shut down during winter.

And speaking of Scotland:

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:As everyone knows, almost all cats are Scottish and have a built in aversion to fruit and vegetables, just like their Scottish human counterparts. Hence the reason they're scared of cucumbers. Fruit and veg is like kryptonite to anybody North of the border.

It was a Scottish, cat-owning dancer what dumped you, wasn't it.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 am

1875Hammer wrote:You mean chips aren't vegetables?

"Glasgow Salad"
DasNutNock

Postby Kludgehammer on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

IABATAC wrote:Why are DVD boxes bigger than CD boxes?

Monkeybubbles wrote:Guess it might be so that games DVDs can include a reasonable size printed manual and also so you can share storage with VHS.

DVD boxes are the size they are so they fitted the same racks as the VHS tapes they replaced, in the sale and rental shops, to make it easier for the studios to sell the new medium into those vendors
Kludgehammer

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:14 pm

1875Hammer wrote:
You mean chips aren't vegetables?

Spuds don't count towards your 5-a-day, so in that sense they're not. Which is music to the average Jock's ear as they can eat chips without losing face.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby vietnammer on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:51 am

Can concrete explode if it is heated from solid? I haven't 'always' wanted to know this, it's just that last night the mrs and I were doing the fire-jump thing on the patio outside (as you do) with a small fire when BANG two sizeable lumps flew outwards and left a hole about 10" x 2" deep in the patio. It was in a bit of a 2 and 8 anyway so it doesn't matter. Either it was some kind of gas from the concrete OR one of the sawn-up tree branches, which were cut last year, exploded with sap. It was only a small fire by the way and not a 'bonfire'. Didn't half go off though.

Second thoughts it could have been water in the concrete, it's quite damp and mossy and that could have built up pressure.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 am

It's the expansion of the moisture in the concrete when heated that would cause it to 'explode'.

Concrete is full of small air pockets, a bit like honeycomb, and when damp the moisture sits in these gaps. When heated it expands rapidly and has nowhere to go so the pressure builds and then.....
hammerdivone

Postby vietnammer on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am

Ta HD1. Makes me wonder what could have happened if the fire had been of any real size. As it was, it was just a few sticks on damp, mossy surface.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am

vietnammer wrote:last night the mrs and I were doing the fire-jump thing on the patio outside.

Vietnammer in shock confession to actually being seven years old.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug