Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

sendô wrote:I thought it was at a pre-season friendly when West Ham went to the US, some blokes were giving him the verbal and so, as he got up to "make his piss" he gave them the crossed arms so as to make them fully aware of his allegiance.
No, it was definitely a country singer.

Some other southern dodgy name.

In the crowd were - I think - some opposition fans who were giving him jip about the shirt before he went medieval on them there asses...
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

sendô wrote:I thought it was at a pre-season friendly when West Ham went to the US, some blokes were giving him the verbal and so, as he got up to "make his piss" he gave them the crossed arms so as to make them fully aware of his allegiance.
Could well be, I just had a Country and Western show in the back of my head, but like all these things it wasn't really the story that was funny, bar the catch phrase it spawned, but the utter piss taking and general hilarity that resulted.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Very important to set the scene properly..... :)

Toby

Toby

Toby

Toby
Toby

Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby.

Toby
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Thanks for all the answers regarding plane routes guys :thup:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Morocco Mole wrote:Image

Very important to set the scene properly..... :)

What a chump!

I believe the thread title was "am I wrong" IIRC it was some Arsenal fans giving him some stick. Classic thread. dicksie wherever you are thank you.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Watching Entourage and noticed this in a few Yank series, but they always seem to be given a beer bottle with a napkin round it? Why so? Is this an American thing?
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Dyl wrote:how the **** does a telephone work? How can I talk into a little bit of plastic and metal and someone thousands of miles away can hear me instantly. Ridiculous
Dyer's Leg wrote:The sound waves of your speech cause a paper/plastic diaphragm to vibrate, like a speaker in reverse. This is amplified by a coil around a magnet and converted in to an electric signal. This signal passes from your hand set in to binary code, to a receiver at a substation, which would be part of a network cell.

Once it reaches the substation, it goes down fibre optic or copper cable to the exchange where the call is routed to the person receiving, by copper wire, fibre optic, or satellite, or a combination of all 3 until it reaches it's destination.

The same applies to landlines, but with fibre optic and copper cable connecting to the exchange directly, where then the call is routed via whatever means to reach it's destination either next door or half way round the world.

Summink like that....
So...magic then?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Happyhammer52 wrote:Watching Entourage and noticed this in a few Yank series, but they always seem to be given a beer bottle with a napkin round it? Why so? Is this an American thing?
To wipe off any AIDS which might be on the top of the bottle.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Toby

Toby

Toby

Toby
Toby

Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby.

Toby
What you doing eating fish n chips down in Brighton Rats?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Why do people bother taking degrees in subjects that won't help them get a job? The usual suspects - History of Art, Media Studies, Theology etc. Why don't people do Economics or Engineering any more?

Why did you quote that, then ask me? :lol:

I'm down there for the day with my missus. Just wanna make the best day of it, go to the best chippy is all : )
Billy_Boy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

Philosophical Dan wrote:Why do people bother taking degrees in subjects that won't help them get a job? The usual suspects - History of Art, Media Studies, Theology etc. Why don't people do Economics or Engineering any more?
Engineering is difficult and a degree is no guarantee of a well paid job, let alone one many people would want to do. The majority of Economics graduates I have met have been odious know-it-alls. Don't forget that Gordon Brown was an Economics lecturer so it's hardly a ringing endorsement of financial savvy, is it?

TBF, I know a few people who went to uni to 'put off getting a real job' for 3 or more years.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Why did you quote that, then ask me?

I'm down there for the day with my missus. Just wanna make the best day of it, go to the best chippy is all : )
Looking back on it I have no idea haha

Just a coincidence you're down for gay pride then yeah? :wink:

F*ck, is that this Sat?!!
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Philly Dan. Mostly there are two reasons.

Firstly, most people aren't clever enough to do economics, engineering, chemistry & those type of subjects in academia to good degree level. Certainly not to any level that would actually help them get a job.

Secondly, advice from both parents & schools is woeful. It seems that in the last 20 years advice generally stopped at..... "you seem reasonably intelligent, you should definitely go to university." "What about getting a job & some professional qualifications instead?" "No, if you get a degree you'll earn more in the long-term.... it doesn't matter what course you do, just do the one that seems most interesting to you at the moment. Yes, film & tv is an option".
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:F*ck, is that this Sat?!!
Like you and your 'missus' didn't know :lol:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Billy_Boy wrote:Engineering is difficult and a degree is no guarantee of a well paid job, let alone one many people would want to do. The majority of Economics graduates I have met have been odious know-it-alls. Don't forget that Gordon Brown was an Economics lecturer so it's hardly a ringing endorsement of financial savvy, is it?

TBF, I know a few people who went to uni to 'put off getting a real job' for 3 or more years.
I read Engineering at Cardiff university. I was put in a flat of 8 for digs for the first year:

1. Electronic & Electrical Engineering (me).
2. Computer science.
3. Theology.
4. Theology.
5. History & Theology.
6. Sociology & Social Policy.
7. Archaeological Conservation.
8. Integrated Engineering.

To my knowledge, only 3 of us have had careers related to our training since we left. The rest of them work in HR & similar "admin" roles.

I never intended to become an Electronic Engineer. I picked that degree because it involved lots of hard maths & science, and would be "proof" that I was capable of doing something genuinely challenging and difficult. Never occurred to me to do something "wooly".

For the record, I went straight into IT, which was a logical enough step in 1997, when the industry was going through its major expansion period & there was money to be made there.

Oddly enough, there was a period where Project Managers and similar roles were being filled with History graduates and the like. Coincided with the dot com bubble bursting, and those days seem to be nothing but a spine-chilling memory.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

derek zoolander wrote:Secondly, advice from both parents & schools is woeful. It seems that in the last 20 years advice generally stopped at..... "you seem reasonably intelligent, you should definitely go to university." "What about getting a job & some professional qualifications instead?" "No, if you get a degree you'll earn more in the long-term.... it doesn't matter what course you do, just do the one that seems most interesting to you at the moment. Yes, film & tv is an option".
I don't recall things being any different when I was sitting school exams (early 90s). There was a general assumption that if you did well at GCSE, you'd stay on at 6th form, sit some A-levels, then go to university. Didn't occur to me to do anything else, especially since my sister had been head girl at her school & read Geography at Oxford.

Nobody even suggested picking subjects that were of personal interest to me. Good marks in maths & science? Then do maths & science at university. That was about as deep as it got.

Polytechnics were frowned upon at the time, and I also don't know why things like the University of Bracknell aren't similarly scorned. It was a Russell Group University or nothing else.

Dyl wrote:Like you and your 'missus' didn't know :lol:
Ah mate, that's blinding. We missed the London one this year! She'll be well chuffed.

Just means it's gonna be absolutely f*cking rammed down there.