Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by WHU Independent »

Harry Hound wrote:Saw a documentary yesterday on youtube claiming that most of the new build flats around Stratford, Canning Town and Royal Docks are being purchased off plan by foreign investors, mostly Asian investors (normal citizens, not bankers etc.) and then left empty. How is this possible without having to pay council tax and standing utility payments? As far as I'm aware the council tax is charged at the double rate when the property is empty?

What's double rate? £4k a year, maybe? They'll be expecting to see more like £40k a year in appreciation alone, I suspect. Whether or not that happens is another matter, but history suggests if you're in for the long run, there's easy money to be made...
I live in Poplar and the council are demolishing all the old council social housing buildings and building private housing on top. The council and their representative "Registered Social housing" organisations are in bed with the developers and are making a mint - destroying whole communities in the process. The local pubs, many of the local shops, the community centre are all private flats nowadays. All my family's old places, my mates places and people I know and have grew up with places have been destroyed.

It gets worse. The RSL have only built 30% of the new build as social housing. They have knocked down well over 1000 flats and less than 300 tenants have been given a new home. The other 700 tenants have been forced to relocate outside Poplar/LBTH.

As for leaseholders it's even worse - I know for a fact that they have had their homes Compulsory Purchased with no negotiations with view to demolition. The RSL values a 3 bed maisonette at £360!! A new 1 bed studio flat on the new build on top of where the maisonette costs £465k!! The leaseholders have been told basically "Take the money and go elsewhere" which means out of London. There is no way out of this - it's a done deal.

This is social cleansing at it's worst - and it is been all round the country - mainly by Labour run Councils. I live in LBTH where we have a Labour Council and a Labour MP and they have sanctioned all of the above. It's Corbyn's elephant in the room. At first he refused to acknowledge this was happening and now he has promised "voting for demolition" and other so called ways of halting this land grab. The problem is his words have been distanced by the PLP and by the time he got into power (if he ever does) it will be too late.

The new builds are largely sold but are clearly not occupied. My sisters went on a long distance holiday abroad late last year and came back with a BA brochure which had an advertisement for esidents of Hong Kong to come and invest in the new build properties in Poplar as " potential rental income was phenomenal." The RSL refuses to release any info on the ownership of the new build as they say they are outside the DPA. By the way the windows are filthy, the lack of curtains and furniture etc you can see no one lives there.

Oh and "poor doors" too. Leaseholders can come in via the electronic entry system via the front doors. Tenants have a back entrance they are restricted too. Actually some of the blocks are purposely designed to keep tenants physically segregated from the leaseholders

I urge anyone interested in this subject to watch Dispossession by Paul Sng. It shows what is going on up and down the country from East London to Glasgow, from Newcastle to Manchester.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Feline dementia - how common is it?

I'm sure our cat should have had a visit from the District Nurses by now, and we'll have to sell his basket to pay for his care.

He really does seem to be losing the plot.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

bubbles1966 wrote:Feline dementia - how common is it?

I'm sure our cat should have had a visit from the District Nurses by now, and we'll have to sell his basket to pay for his care.

He really does seem to be losing the plot.
Sounds like he's a classic "basket case" to me.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

bubbles1966 wrote:Feline dementia - how common is it?
Fairly common although we've had 5 cats over the years and the ones that have gone have all died around 14 before getting to that stage, how old is he bubbs?

Our neighbours cat was 18 and couldn't remember where it lived or when it had eaten
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

hammerdivone wrote: couldn't remember where it lived or when it had eaten
Sounds like me after a night out
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammerdivone wrote:Fairly common although we've had 5 cats over the years and the ones that have gone have all died around 14 before getting to that stage, how old is he bubbs?

Our neighbours cat was 18 and couldn't remember where it lived or when it had eaten
He's 18.

He's obsessed with food (way beyond normal) and seems to have forgotten the rules of the house.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

WHU Independent wrote: I urge anyone interested in this subject to watch Dispossession by Paul Sng. It shows what is going on up and down the country from East London to Glasgow, from Newcastle to Manchester.
I'll check this out, the whole situation appears to be as absurd as it is tragic as I just can't understand if they're not planning to live there why investors would invest in these "empty" flats that are now everywhere rather than in gold or some other "commodity"? :eh:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sounds like dementia then bubbs.

Not much you can do other than try not to get too wound up by him!
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

hammerdivone wrote: Our neighbours cat was 18 and couldn't remember where it lived or when it had eaten
Some of 'em pretend to do that :wink:
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

bubbles1966 wrote: He's 18.
He's obsessed with food (way beyond normal) and seems to have forgotten the rules of the house.
It could well be dementia, of course.
Can you have a v.e.t check him over 'cause it could be something else?
Physical complaints can also make them act like a complete tit sometimes.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Why, when the NHS is 'free at the point of contact, do we have to pay for dental treatment?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

hammerdivone wrote:Why, when the NHS is 'free at the point of contact, do we have to pay for dental treatment?
Teeth aren’t important.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Or a gastric band, or nicotine patches...

Weird isn't it?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

You edited that before I replied :D
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

DasNutNock wrote: Teeth aren’t important.
Mine are, I would hate to have to suck a steak
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

hammerdivone wrote:Why, when the NHS is 'free at the point of contact, do we have to pay for dental treatment?
Cosmetic, technically. Some cosmetic surgeries are allowed if without doing so the patient suffers declining wellbeing (physical or mental).

But that's such a grey and contentious area.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst »

DasNutNock wrote: Teeth aren’t important.
A friend of mine had a heart-valve replaced recently. The surgeons would not do it until
his teeth were fixed (he had some kind of infection).
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

uptonparkhurst wrote:A friend of mine had a heart-valve replaced recently. The surgeon would not do it until his teeth were fixed
Blimey, I heard the NHS were hard up but surely they could afford scissors or a scalpel?
uptonparkhurst

Post by uptonparkhurst »

^^^^^
Reading my post again, I should stress we are talking about my mate's hampsteads and not the surgeons. 8-)

Apparently the infection in his tooth could have spread to his heart immediately post-surgery (sorry, I
forget the details) and doctors aren't trained to do dental work. There is a theory that dental health and
heart health are linked but I don't know if there has been conclusive research on that)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

/\ there is a risk of heart failure originating in tooth abcesses. John Glascock, a bass player with Jethro Tull died that way and I think he was only in his 20's. That's one example.