Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

rigoberts song wrote:Why can birds sit on high voltage cables and not get electrocuted?
Because god hates us and wants them to **** on our heads.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Yep there's no earth return path for the electricity through the bird, as the length of cable between their feet is a significantly lower resistance.

In theory you could sit on the cable too if you could fly yourself up to it.
HalfTimePie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by HalfTimePie »

Not sure if this is an appropriate one but it's something I along with a lot of other people seem to wonder.

Why does the media and political figures across the west seem to embrace islam like it's something to be welcomed into our society? Mass immigration has proved to be a bad thing across Europe, all you have to do is look at Italy, Germany, UK, and yet the press and people of power seem to love it.

I don't get it
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Because they're the fastest growing section of the population and they want their votes.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Because they're scared of what may happen if they don't.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Because they're scared of what may happen if they don't.
And scared to call out certain communities for fear of destroying their career.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by James P »

HalfTimePie wrote:Why does the media and political figures across the west seem to embrace islam like it's something to be welcomed into our society?
There have been Muslims in the UK for generations. It's not something new we're welcoming into our society.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

DasNutNock wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hat+trick

The term first appeared in 1858 in cricket, to describe H. H. Stephenson's taking three wickets with three consecutive deliveries. Fans held a collection for Stephenson, and presented him with a hat bought with the proceeds. The term was used in print for the first time in 1865.
Cricket! Interesting. Thanks.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

HalfTimePie wrote:Not sure if this is an appropriate one but it's something I along with a lot of other people seem to wonder.

Why does the media and political figures across the west seem to embrace islam like it's something to be welcomed into our society? Mass immigration has proved to be a bad thing across Europe, all you have to do is look at Italy, Germany, UK, and yet the press and people of power seem to love it.

I don't get it
You can oppose immigration all you like but these people have large families traditionally and will soon out breed us.

I'm planning an escape eventually. South Wales, Andalucia, Eastern Europe... Who knows. Give it a try!
HalfTimePie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by HalfTimePie »

There have been Muslims in the UK for generations. It's not something new we're welcoming into our society.
I am obviously aware that there have been Muslims here for a while. My point is more recently things are getting worse and worse. We are at the highest threat level for how long? Just seems odd that in this day and age radical islam is such a huge threat we don't seem to have a problem letting ISIS member back in the UK to plot to kill for example. When the people in charge know exactly what will happen.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Votes. That is the only thing of importance. The UK very much comes second.
mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

HalfTimePie wrote: we don't seem to have a problem letting ISIS member back in the UK to plot to kill for example. When the people in charge know exactly what will happen.
Are you saying we deliberately let people into the country so that they can kill our own?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

btajim - mcfc wrote:

You can oppose immigration all you like but these people have large families traditionally and will soon out breed us.

I'm planning an escape eventually. South Wales, Andalucia, Eastern Europe... Who knows. Give it a try!
So immigration works for you then?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

HalfTimePie wrote:Not sure if this is an appropriate one but it's something I along with a lot of other people seem to wonder.

I don't get it
What do you suggest as an alternative?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

rigoberts song wrote:Why can birds sit on high voltage cables and not get electrocuted?
If they put one foot on the cable & the other foot on the ground, then they would be electrocuted.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Why does the media and political figures across the west seem to embrace islam like it's something to be welcomed into our society? Mass immigration has proved to be a bad thing across Europe, all you have to do is look at Italy, Germany, UK, and yet the press and people of power seem to love it. I don't get it
Listen, don't mention the Muslims! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.
So! It's all forgotten now, and let's hear no more about it.
So, that's two egg 9/11's, a prawn Bataclan, a Sinai mosque attack, and four Mogadishu bombings.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

:D
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Samba wrote:If they put one foot on the cable & the other foot on the ground, then they would be electrocuted.
That's one ****ing tall bird!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

HalfTimePie wrote: I am obviously aware that there have been Muslims here for a while. My point is more recently things are getting worse and worse. We are at the highest threat level for how long? Just seems odd that in this day and age radical islam is such a huge threat we don't seem to have a problem letting ISIS member back in the UK to plot to kill for example. When the people in charge know exactly what will happen.
We obviously (all) have problems in letting ISIS members back into the country and I challenge you to identify a single politician or media employee who has specifically pointed out such a person and then somehow welcomed his or her return.

But Islam is as broad a church/religion as Christianity - another faith that has its origins from abroad.

The blanket ban that your opening post implied was necessary would be akin, in the face of terrorism in the 70-80s, to the banning of entry anyone who had any form of Irish blood in them, irrespective of whether they were Catholic/Loyalist etc.

I don't personally welcome any religion, in new arrivals, but we have to look past that, because what I do strongly believe is that we, just like all other developed nations, do have very much have a responsibility in taking our fair share of refugees.

The solution to your problem, if I may be so bold in offering a diagnosis, is one from which many people recoil, when it is spelt out, and that is massively increased state apparatus and funding, so that the damaged or worst exponents of terror from Libya (Manchester) and Iraq (Parsons Green) can't find repetition.

Mainstream Islam is not in an of itself any more dangerous than any other religion. It is, in my personal view, a load of old bollards, but it isn't the seedbed for murderous terrorism.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

A slight change of subject.

Maybe one for the bird watchers!

Why does a pigeons wings "clap" when they fly?